What makes a mario game "Fun" For u?

• Thread starter thisISYOSHI!
  • Start date
In my opinion, the most fun part of Mario are the platforming elements that progressively get more difficult as the game goes on. Couple that with a good story, some great music, and a neat concept, and you've got yourself an amazing Mario game that almost anyone can enjoy.

The most fun part of a mario game is definitely the gimmick. Always having something new to learn how to master makes the games even more fun, on top of the new levels and other content. It always make the new mario games feel fresh and interesting while keeping a reason to go back to the older games in the series.

For me, its the difficulty of the level (i like it somewhat challenging), and the creativity in the level. If its way too easy, I won't like the game too much. If its hard, I'll play it. If the level is bland, I'll still play it, it just won't be memorable. If its very crestive with gimmicks, I'll love it. Mixing difficulty with crestivity equals super fun game!

I'd say the most important aspect of a 2D Mario platformer are the physics. The thing that makes Mario games unique is the sort of bouncy feel and gradual buildup of momentum in a level, so level design gets a close second. For Mario vets especially, a thing that some of the games do right is having an abundance of very challenging levels. Super Mario World is my favourite.

3D Mario titles are more of a mixed bag. In their case, I'd say the most fun aspect is creativity - in both the mechanics and design of the world. My personal favourite, Super Mario Galaxy, is very obviously unique in the way the game plays. Some of the platforming is on the surface of small, spherical planetoids, some of it is upside down, sometimes you're just floating!
Each 3D Mario game has brought something different to the table; that's how Nintendo keeps Mario exciting!

Reactions: Shiny
I really like the mario games that do a great job challenging you as a player, while also punishing you at a reasonable level. Mario 64 did excellent by tossing you out of the painting, while mario oddessy had very few moments that punished you for failure (exclusion is the obstacle course rooms

I like when they have unique mechanics, their own unique story, lots of stuff to do and can be played again and again still having fun, one reason I like Super Mario Oddysey is, it has unique mechanics, lots of stuff to do and a good story, I can’t even talk about replay ability cause I haven’t even got 999 stars yet, anyways that’s one of the things I think makes Mario games fun.

Unique level design, creative enemies bosses, and fresh new ideas compared to the last games, the only bad example would be mario u

Reactions: AricAttack
For me it has to be that trademark look, feel, and sound. It's always a quality, genuine experience to play any Mario game in any order because for the most part they are all different and you always want to play because you want to see that remarkable final fight with Bowser. Especially in the 3D Mario games where it's always different.

For me its the platforming creativity that gets you addicted for hours
The yippee wahoo yahoo eyahaye. Basically moving. Oh and collecting stuff. Paraparapabambam

Good use of colors
Unique gameplay mechanics
A nice variety of worlds
Cool and cute outfits
The platforming, of course

Cool and cute outfits
I just remembered that Super Mario Odyssey is the only 3D Mario game where you can play dress up with tons and tons of options (the power ups change your clothes too, but the costumes are better imo) from classic mario, to mario in boxer shorts, Mario's clothing are so good. As a kid, I would always rock the tropical shirt in Mario Sunshine, and I still do in Mario Odyssey! Was never a fan of the shades though, they're too dark.

I like finding secrets. :D
It's also nice to finally complete to a difficult level. Collecting stuff is fun, too. Power-ups, level design, puzzle-solving...

There's a lot that makes it fun. Ultimately, I can't point out one specific reason, as fun is just an intuitive feeling for me.

For me It's challenging and the creativity of the levels to. I like mario levels that make you use your skills to the test since mario has a reputation for being easy when some times it's not. (Looks at mario sunshine)

Back