Whats your opinion of Fire Emblem Awakening?

• Thread starter neirden
  • Start date
neirden

neirden

Keyblade Master/Hero of Time
Towns Folk
I played one of these games a long time ago, but I don't remember which one. I also played the demo for Fire Emblem: Awakening. The series seems pretty great, but whats your opinion?

I think it's great but like you I only played the demo XD! If you like turn based (I don't know how else to describe it) strategy games then I guess it's the series for you! For me personally the only part I don't like is if one of the characters dies they are gone forever. Thankfully they have an option to turn it off in Awakening!

I mentioned this in the past but I'll gladly talk a bit more about it. As far as games go, this one has done A LOT for saving the series and combines a lot of the great gameplay mechanics from the FE series into one package. However, I don't think it's one of the better Fire Emblem games.

This is mainly due to the story and characters. The story has an interesting twist regarding the final boss and all but a lot of the other parts felt kinda rushed like "Oh hey we're onto the next part of the game LET'S THROW SOME RANDOM CONFLICT!" There doesn't seem to be much build up with the story as with previous entries. I do enjoy some of the characters but at the same time, the majority of them are one-trait ponies(instead of a one-trick pony). Tharja is a creepy stalker, Vaike is the meathead, Kellam is the one everyone forgets, etc. Compared to other FE games, they just don't have a lot of fully fleshed out characters.

In terms of gameplay, there were a lot of things I liked about it. Bringing back the two generations of characters(parents and children) from Genealogy of the Holy War was awesome to see. Although, the time/dimension traveling thing is a bit off for the FE franchise. Support system was better than ever in this game although I hope they don't turn FE into "Waifu Simulator." I like the dual up thing as a concept but execution it just made the game WAY too easy. Hope they fix it in future installments. DLC was a nice touch but I do wish some of the dlc packs were a bit...better? I guess I wish to see more extended content of the game and whatnot rather than just "Hey, I'm the lord of that other game with some crappy artwork, RECRUIT ME!"

Overall, I do like it but I think there's better FE games out there. For beginners it may be different and you may love it. For veterans, it's pretty decent.

Reactions: Manakete_Smoocher
Dude, this game is amazing. The graphics are pretty good (especially on those REALISTIC FEET!!!), the story is intresting, and they definitely made it better for newcomers (ie: newbs who can't handle permadeath). But I also feel like people who play this and think that it's one of the greatest fe games make me sad. Because there are soooo much better ones. Fire Emblem gba, the Radience games on wii, the original...they're all so awesome, and yet I feel like no one plays thoughs. It just makes me sad I suspose when people play the DLC and are like "who are these people" -_-

This game is on of the most amazing strategy RPG games that are just simply unique :D I like hoe this game differs from other strategy turn-based games and though I only played the demo of it , I can already know that this game will turn out to be an amazing game . Many people like it too :p

This game is on of the most amazing strategy RPG games that are just simply unique :D I like hoe this game differs from other strategy turn-based games and though I only played the demo of it , I can already know that this game will turn out to be an amazing game . Many people like it too :p
It definitely is a unique series that stands on its own :) If you ever get it, there's one thing in particular I will recommend for EVERY new player picking up Awakening. DO NOT PLAY CASUAL MODE. So there's two options after you pick your difficulty, classic or casual. Casual means if a unit you have hits 0 hp, they will come back in the next chapter you play. While this is new for the FE series, I'd highly advise against it as a FE veteran. Classic plays like every FE game prior. If a unit you have hits 0 HP, they're DEAD. Gone. If your main characters dies, it's a downright game over. You have to restart the chapter you're on and try again if you want to keep that unit. It can be considered hard but that's the biggest challenge in Fire Emblem. It's a tactical strategy game that makes you want to keep your units alive, they have personalities so you care when something bad happens. I believe if you play on Casual, you aren't really playing Fire Emblem.

Lol! I only played the demo as well! But like you I think it will be an awesome game!

Amazing, great, highly recommended.

I love it! And you can get married and feel less lonely! kinda....

I don't like it that much. It feels more like a non-canon (though it's canon) anniversary title that has no real role in the timeline rather than an actual title in the series.
The gameplay doesn't appeal to me at all - it hardly requires any kind of strategy, it focuses heavily on grinding for Skills, getting good stat caps and pair up bonuses. The most difficult maps require more planning than strategy, and in some cases, mostly luck (the first maps in Lunatic+).

The story, writing and villains have gotten enough hate already, I'm not going to write too much on why I think they're bad. The plot itself isn't that bad, it was just very poorly executed, possibly because it was rushed. Especially the second half of the game could have been much more interesting. If it hadn't been so character-driven, maybe it would have seemed a bit better. Gangrel and Walhart had the potential to be pretty interesting villains, especially Walhart, because of how different his ideals were compared to Chrom's. The writing is nothing special either.

The children feel incredibly tacked on. The time traveling wasn't executed well either. I'd rather they had not added the children at all, or at least done it in the same way as Genealogy of the Holy War (but of course they couldn't do that, they couldn't kill of everyone's waifus for real). But the children and time traveling did lead to the Future Past DLCs, which easily are superior to the actual game's plot. The Outrealm Gate didn't feel like it added much except legacy character fanservice, and I don't like how the game handled the other games' lore. Especially Archaneia and Valencia.

I really don't like the characters. Not because they're one-gimmick characters stereotypes, but because their gimmick is forced down your throat most of time. Some of them have hidden depths, but they're easy to miss or forget because their main trait is tacked on in most of their dialogue. Their outfits and the class designs don't help either. Even by Fire Emblem standards, they're ridiculous. I don't like all the trash talking during battles either. It kind of works against Risen, but against humans, it's not as funny. The unrelated voice clips during dialogue get pretty annoying too, which is too bad because at least the English voices are amazing.

Robin doesn't help either. He's about as bad as Kris, except that Robin didn't ruin an already existing cast and istead has the most important role in the game. He's loved by everyone despite his mistakes and questionable choices, can marry anyone in the army except his kids and is one of the most powerful characters in the game. Fire Emblem hasn't handled self-inserts well in any game to date, which is too bad, because I like the idea. Him being some kind of self-insert/actual character hybrid, which I'm not a fan of.

I don't hate the game and I don't think it's a bad game, it's just disappointing for a Fire Emblem game. It has a lot of wasted potential, it could have been so much better (which could be said for a lot of games, but I think Awakening suffered extra much from it). They wanted to save the franchise so they threw in a bit of everything from the older games, and such games usually don't appeal to me. At least it brought in some new fans who are interested in the older titles.

Reactions: Manakete_Smoocher, Icemario and Warden Chult
Fire emblem awakening is a very good game with an awesome plot sequence and great ideas. They introduced marriage options and Dlc content that it has a lot of replayability plus there is a spotless option that gives you units from previous game and extra weapons and catalogues so you can recruit the evil people so that's why fire emblem awakening is great

They introduced marriage options and Dlc content

Actually, marriage is about as old as the series itself. Quite a few of the games had characters who married in the ending if they had reached A-support level or in some cases, just survived until the end. Genealogy of the Holy War even had character marriage as one of the main points in gameplay, even including children. Awakening was only the first game to allow the player's avatar to marry other characters.

DLC content like weapons and items were also included in the two DS remakes.

Reactions: Icemario
Fire Emblem Awakening is a great game that I highly recommend. It has a good plot and it lets you not only pair up your units-which I find a tad pit weird- but decided you're fate. It also has good graphics and if you are willing to pay, it also offers cool extra maps found in the Outrealm Gates.

Fire Emblem Awakening sounds like a great game, but I havn't even picked it up yet. I also played the Demo, it seems really good along with the graphics and attack scene between each scene. I have the money, I can buy it. Is the full version much more different than the Demo, cause I didn't find a tutorial (maybe I skipped it:p) and had to figure things out by myself :dead:

Fire Emblem Awakening sounds like a great game, but I havn't even picked it up yet. I also played the Demo, it seems really good along with the graphics and attack scene between each scene. I have the money, I can buy it. Is the full version much more different than the Demo, cause I didn't find a tutorial (maybe I skipped it:p) and had to figure things out by myself :dead:
No actually the demo is part of the game basically the demo+ more maps and options for your avatar. If you still have troubles the game DOES come with a demo that will come into play further along the story line. The only weird part about the game is how you can get your units to marry each other.

No actually the demo is part of the game basically the demo+ more maps and options for your avatar. If you still have troubles the game DOES come with a demo that will come into play further along the story line. The only weird part about the game is how you can get your units to marry each other.
Ok I probably will buy it at the end of summer:)

I feel like Fire Emblem is a hit-or-miss game. Either you will really love it or you will find apathy in the game. Some people really adore the TRPG genre of the game and others find it extremely boring. I will say though, Fire Emblem Awakening does the best job incorporating casuals into the game. A lot of opinions within the game like the story, level design, and such vary within person to person, but the general consensus within the community and metacritic is that it's at least a good game, if not one of the best games on the 3DS. If you love the demo, you'll most likely love the full package.

As for me? Short answer is yes, I love the majority of the series.

Fire Emblem Awakening does the best job incorporating casuals into the game.
Basically this describes the game in a nutshell. Upon catering to a wider audience, they implemented with what they thought were the best features from the series past to create this installment. Not the most hardcore experience of the series in my opinion, but it is still a solid game in the franchise nonetheless.

I played one of these games a long time ago, but I don't remember which one. I also played the demo for Fire Emblem: Awakening. The series seems pretty great, but whats your opinion?

Fire Emblem Awakening is a good game, but I personally find Radiant Dawn to be more entertaining since I appreciate the greater difficulty and story.

I liked it. IT's a good game to start with if you're new to the series.I mean you can pick Casual but I would pick Classic. Or for your first run if u want you can just playthrough once on Casual and then again on Classic. Of course for your second run I would do Hard if you're up for it since Normal difficulty is super easy. Like no challenge basically.

My opinion is 8/10.

Back