Whats your opinion of Fire Emblem Awakening?

• Thread starter neirden
  • Start date
I just recently got Fire Emblem Awakening. I've played it about 5 times already. It's the only Fire Emblem game I have ever owned, but I love it I even have a favorite character even though it seems no one else shares this favorite character with me I've got to say Mad King Gangrel is my favorite Fire Emblem character.
On further note the graphics of the game are extremely well done. I love how you can make an avatar. And the marriage system is cool as well. All in all I have made this game my second favorite game Coming after kingdom hearts 3d dream drop distance.

fire emblem awakening is an amazing game that gives you the freedom of character creation and you can use whatever tactics suit you in game, wether you want to cleave through the battlefield with solid warriors or pick of your enemies one by one fire embelm supposrts all play styles its a great game i give it 9.5/10 ✌️

I loved it! It was my first game in the series and it got me completly hooked on it. I cannot wait for Fire emblem fates! I thought awakening had great stragety and thought process. It also had some really hard side quests if you really want to challenge yourself. I think it was smart adding the other mode where people don't die permanently, and they just come back after this round is over. I used it because at first when I did it the normal way, people were dieng left and right in around chapter 3. This does add stragety though because you don't want a person to die because you need every troop that you have. It also adds the idea of sacrifices, where you place a weak character, or a character who is about to die in enemy range to draw them out and have them die, because they will come back again. Honestly I feel like this game is kind of like chess. You need to make sacrifices for the greater good in chess, and in that mode that straget can really be applied, but the sacrifice would still be a loss because every attacking force is helpful. Also aside from the gameplay the plot was great. I actually cried at the end of the game SPOILERS because I choose to sacrifice myself to kill Grima, and everybody saying and believing that robin was still alive and they would search the world for him, just brought me to tears. So 10/10 I loved it!

Fire Emblem Awakening was the first FE game I owned. I didn't realize the hype of it for the first few years of its release because I didn't own a 3ds at that time so it didn't concern me. When I did, it took me a few months to get to this game because I remember playing shadow dragon a little bit a while back and didn't really like it because it looked plain and boring. When I tried the demo after finding out more about it from smash bros, I knew I had to get the game, it was just so cool with the animated cut scenes and the clean layout. I liked Devil Survivor so SRPGs were OK in my book but this just blew everything out of the water.

The game was really good overall from beginning to end. My regret is that I didn't have time to focus on each character and even left some out. The story was good although not the greatest but the character interactions, when there were some, were great. I swear, I got this game the day before a mid-term and decided to sleep at 5 just to get some more game play in. Luckily I did alright.

Overall, this game is hype. It's amazing and I can't wait til Fates in February.

Awakening isn't really a bad game, but I couldn't exactly call it a good game either? It's easy, the maps are generally boring, and most of the characters are pretty gimmick-y. But, there's no denying that if it had been more challenging (like the older games) the series wouldn't have survived. They included Casual mode, which I resent. The only reason I could possibly see to use it would be for the Support Log, but even then you still don't need it.
To any new players, I recommend playing Classic mode. It's not that much more challenging than Casual, and it makes gameplay a lot more strategic because you can't afford to lose any units.
The unlimited support conversations is a huge plus for the game in my opinion, as the old games limited you to 5 per person. The plot of Awakening isn't grand or spectacular in my opinion, and the buildup isn't very well done. I wasn't impressed by the time travel either. The fateful events in certain chapters seemed kind of bland and I didn't feel much emotional attachment for any of the characters until I started trying to get all of the Support conversations.
It's safe to say that the Future Past DLC is better than the entirety of the actual game. It pulled at my heart and challenged my strategies due to the need to protect the Allied units. The maps were also better than most of the in-game maps in my opinion.
In the end, I don't think Awakening will ever share a place next to my favorite Fire Emblem games (like Sacred Stones and Path of Radiance), but there's no denying that it saved the series, even if it took it in a completely new direction. Again, it's not a bad game, but it's not the best. Some people may prefer the new features, but I'm always going to think that the older games did it better.
That's just my opinion, however, and I do recommend getting the game despite its flaws.

I don't mean to be mean but I'm just curious what do you think of Fire Emblem Fates Manakete_Smooc? From your review of Awakening you clearly want your games to stick to the way they were. Fire Emblem Fates has some new modes, and 3 different campaigns, which as far as I know is something completly new to the series, so they are also trieng new things. (Personally I am very hyped. I will probbably get the deluxe set since I am going to get all three campaigns anyway). So will you get the game and check it out? Sorry just wondering

@Whovian#1
I really do wish the gameplay could stay true to the roots, but it's clear that's not what the majority of the audience wants. As for the new modes... Phoenix Mode is just kind of insulting. I'm obviously never going to play it, but I'll glare at that option every time I start a new file ^^; I already disliked Casual mode, so now that we have Phoenix Mode I'm just going to shrug and try not to take it personally.
I'm actually really excited for the 3 pathways! Something I've always wished the Fire Emblem series had has been branching paths. Sacred Stones sort of achieved this (by splitting the game into Eirika and Ephraim's pathways), but I've always wanted decisions to actually matter. In Awakening you had choices (Fire Emblem or Emmeryn?) but they didn't matter, and I felt sort of... robbed of interactivity. The only thing I really felt I had any choice in was whether or not Chrom killed Grima. But even then, that was just a bonus plot. Plus, everyone wants to be a Martyr anyways, so...
I'm sort of upset that weapon uses are no longer a thing, but there's definitely going to be a much different way to strategize now that they have more interesting effects. The revised Weapon Triangle including Bows, Tomes, and Hidden Weapons is also something to think about, considering that the all-powerful tomes now have a disadvantage. The Hidden Weapons are also something I'm curious to see the use of.
The return of the arena is exciting, despite the fact that they've changed it. I'm looking forward to the My Castle function, and will probably end up wasting hours upon hours on it. The idea of having my own stores is a fun feature, and I'm looking forward to "Fire Emblem Amie" (in My Room) more than I probably should ^^;
My main problem with the newer Fire Emblem games is just the decrease in difficulty. I'm all about new features and such, but when they throw Phoenix mode at me...
Either way I can say without a doubt that I'll be getting all 3 versions of the game and replay them for years. I hope to get the special edition, but I haven't been able to preorder it yet, so I can only hope!

@Manakete_Smoocher I agree that Phoenix mode is stupid. It is really just for players who play the game just for the plot and it doesn't matter because you might as well just have all your characters be invincible and not take any damage at all. I am okay with the other mode where your character comes back AFTER each level. As I said I do believe this adds another layer of strategy and you still do want to keep your characters alive. It also allows us players who are not us good at chess, or strategic games like this to enjoy the game and not get stuck on level 3 or 4 because they don't want to lose any characters, so they never get to fully experience the game.

I played one of these games a long time ago, but I don't remember which one. I also played the demo for Fire Emblem: Awakening. The series seems pretty great, but whats your opinion?
i believe the older ones to be greater since they don't allow you to just continuously level up it means it's more fair and I believe fun
Dude, this game is amazing. The graphics are pretty good (especially on those REALISTIC FEET!!!), the story is intresting, and they definitely made it better for newcomers (ie: newbs who can't handle permadeath). But I also feel like people who play this and think that it's one of the greatest fe games make me sad. Because there are soooo much better ones. Fire Emblem gba, the Radience games on wii, the original...they're all so awesome, and yet I feel like no one plays thoughs. It just makes me sad I suspose when people play the DLC and are like "who are these people" -_-
for the win jk actually I agree I've played most of them I like genolligy

Last edited by a moderator:
@Whovian#1
I understand that. Casual mode irks me, as I don't see the need for it considering we have normal (aka easy) mode, but I get that it's not too bad. If a unit "dies" in Casual there's also the factor of them not getting the exp, though this isn't a problem in Awakening due to the world map and certain DLC.
As someone who is terrible at action packed games with fast paced thinking, I find strategy games to be much easier so I suppose I still don't really accept Casual mode. I understand that it's part of what saved the series though, so I'm thankful for it despite my dislike towards it.

I have played the games and I thought it being actually pretty good for and RPG and it had good cutscenes too. I also recommend this game to people looking for a good action and strategy type videogame. (But, If you want a better one you should get stella glow because it's like fire emblem but it has a far greater and meaningful story line with touching characters and awesome cut scenes)

Fire Emblem Awakening was my first of the Fire Emblem series and one of the few strategy games that I've played, but I really enjoyed it. However, I feel like they could've done so much more with the story. I was left with many question by the end of the game, especially (SPOILER ALERT) if you chose the ending where you sacrifice yourself to prevent Grima's future resurrection. Like I said, this was the first game I've played of this series or games like it but I enjoyed the few animated scenes and it's gameplay. It's just that I feel it needs more character development and a better transition through the story's timeline.

Still, me and my friend can't wait until Fates comes out!:cat:

To be honest, I never played a Full game, but I had the demo of awakening, and it was pretty good. I've read reviews on it, and it looks very good. The demo was fun, and long, which i like. And the story is apparently really good. I might get it someday, as the demo was incredible.

Fun game but requires lots of thinking and reprocussions. Perfect for future military generals

Back