What's your opinion on Switch multiplayer costing money?

• Thread starter shiny-j
  • Start date
shiny-j

shiny-j

Shiny hunter
Towns Folk
I'm wondering what others think of Switch multiplayer costing money. With this new feature coming in September, I'm really interested to see what others will think!

In my opinion, this can be problematic for those who already spent money on their Switch console and games, and don't have any left over so they can play online and enrich their gaming experience. Multiplayer is partly what makes games like Mario Kart fun - because let's face it - racing CPUs gets dull after a while. I see that Nintendo's plan is to make money, but maybe doing this might cause them to lose money if people don't want to buy Switches since there's no multiplayer unless you want to shell out $20.

This is just my opinion, anyways.

Are you planning on spending the money for a Switch membership??

EDIT: I see that you are all in favor of it - provided they make the quality better!

Last edited:
I think it's a good idea if done well. I play the majority of my time online in Splatoon 2 and the online connectivity is terrible. This service should hopefully improve the quality of the online functionality. It also comes with special discounts and NES games too. These aren't big attractors in and of themselves, but can be a nice little bonus. The biggest thing is how stable the online is. If it stays the current crappy quality, it won't be worth it, but if it drastically improves connectivity and online experience it will be more than worth it. Compared to Xbox and PS4 memberships it's a third of the price.

i think that making the suscription the substitute of the virtual console is a very good idea, 20 euros for 20 nes games + every game that gets released in the suscription for the year (maybe even non nes games) its a better deal than 5 euros for a single overpricered nes game

about the online itself , i hope they improve the online play for every game

Since they're getting extra money, they should improve the online play and make it better. What else are they gonna do with it?

It would be devastating if it cost money only to find out its the same crappy quality. :(

To be perfectly honest, I kind of saw this coming from a mile away. I mean, Xbox does it, PS4 does it, so why wouldn’t Nintendo jump in on this to make a little extra cash? I’m probably gonna buy it so I can play games like ARMS and Splatoon 2, but still it’s slightly annoying to have to pay for a service that was free on previous consoles.

To be perfectly honest, I kind of saw this coming from a mile away. I mean, Xbox does it, PS4 does it, so why wouldn’t Nintendo jump in on this to make a little extra cash? I’m probably gonna buy it so I can play games like ARMS and Splatoon 2, but still it’s slightly annoying to have to pay for a service that was free on previous consoles.

Nintendo is all about making money, so it honestly isn't surprising. I agree with you. I'm glad they didnt do it for the 3DS, it would be a pain to pay money so I can do some Wonder Trades and stuff. XD

I like how they have the family membership thing, so it can be shared among people.

Really hoping they keep the 3DS online free - if they don't discontinue it, that is. :( Pokemon Ultra Moon is still fairly new - and relies on online, so I hope it sticks around!

Like everyone else i dislike it cuz it was free and stuff and money can be tight sometimes..

But with them releasing this server it could bring aloot more to the switch such as more variety of online games..mybe a party system in the future instead of using our mobile phones..things such as internet browser..netflix etc like they wanted to bring it can open awhole new section to the consosle in general but it can def be a hit and miss thing so geuss well end up seeing honestly

Hey this was bound to happen. Ever other major gaming company does it, Nintendo was hard pressed to put it off this far. It's really cheap and it comes with some random games too. I'm not to mad about it.

Yeah I somehow knew this would happen. At least its not too expensive though.

It doesn't matter for me cuz I don't even have a switch.

To be honest, I kind of saw this coming from a mile away. I mean, Xbox does it, PlayStation does it, and a lot of people buy those subscriptions. So, of course Nintendo would join the party with Nintendo Switch Online. But, I feel like it won’t be as cool. Don’t get me wrong, I like the idea of classic NES games getting revamped, but Xbox gives you free full priced games for a cheaper subscription price. The only thing is, Xbox takes the games from you if you decide not to renew once the subscription runs out. So, if Nintendo lets you keep the games, then that might be cooler than Xbox’s service. Overall, I’m gonna buy it, mainly because there’s no way I’m gonna stop playing Splatoon 2. Also, I’m excited to try out the the NES games and the new Save Data Cloud Backup feature. Plus, it’s not even that expensive, so yeah, I’m gonna give it a go. :eyes:

Reactions: Duffy
Yeah. The Nintendo Switch seems to be very similar to the Playstation and X-Box now. Nintendo is trying to be beter than them I guess.

20 dollars isn't much at all , but if there isn't any improvement in their online infrastructure I can't really say that the 20 dollar price tag is justified.The weird friends system, unnecessarily complicated voice chat, and shabby servers don't make for a nice online experience with the Switch.

Yes it comes with virtual console games for free and some discounts but that doesn't matter, if Nintendo wants to charge 20 bucks the online system has to get better.

At first glance, it really looks like a good deal: 20 bucks for a year-long subscription, 20 old gen games and access to online backup sound great, right? Personally, I'm all in!
However, I'm very concerned, as many pepople who have previously posted are, about the quality of the online service. I mean, we are gonna get lots of additional stuff by purchasing such membership, but is the quality of the connection and overall online experience be worth it?
I can only hope so.

Yep there really is no reason not to get this. Its a pretty good deal surprisingl.

To the people saying it should improve the online servers, Nintendo don't host the servers for every online game. Instead the companies that have made the games are the ones hosting the servers. So just cause you're paying for online doesn't mean the servers will get better.

I still think it was a pretty bass move to make online paid. Since Nintendo's target audience is families. The majority of families likely don't have enough spare money to spend on something they've already brought.

To the people saying it should improve the online servers, Nintendo don't host the servers for every online game. Instead the companies that have made the games are the ones hosting the servers. So just cause you're paying for online doesn't mean the servers will get better.

I still think it was a pretty bass move to make online paid. Since Nintendo's target audience is families. The majority of families likely don't have enough spare money to spend on something they've already brought.

True. Nintendo only hosts the online for their games they made themselves.

Reactions: 28142
Am thinking that the £20 for a year is for just the one person, so if another user of the same system wants to play online on their own log in, for example a child account on same console? They will have to pay too, but will have access to the free games without paying again?

I think its pay once for every account on the switch. I may be wrong though.

Am thinking that the £20 for a year is for just the one person, so if another user of the same system wants to play online on their own log in, for example a child account on same console? They will have to pay too, but will have access to the free games without paying again?
Yes and no. The 20$ is for one person, but you can also pay 35$ for 8 people, using the family bundle.
The free games are probably only available if you currently have a subscription active.

Reactions: Furyofthestorm78
Yes and no. The 20$ is for one person, but you can also pay 35$ for 8 people, using the family bundle.
The free games are probably only available if you currently have a subscription active.
The boys will have to get used to playing on my profile then if they want to join in, and play as a girl in some games, for example Splatoon 2. Assuming I subscribe of course, going to wait and see. I barely use my Switch at the moment. As for answering the question, seems fair I guess, the family idea seems good, but maybe add on a little extra for each extra player, as there would be at most, 3 extra on ours.

Back