Which do you prefer between the 3DS and the 3DS XL?

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
What do you mean, like when you start to play the game you don't notice the size difference in comparisons with the 3DS, right ?
I think he means in terms of the size of the console. Like it looks bigger, but not necessarily the amount bigger they claim it is. Perhaps I'm wrong though

I like XL better, but I am perfectly fine with my regular 3DS. The regular 3DS is smaller, which makes it more portable in that sense, but the XL is better game quality wise.

I like XL better, but I am perfectly fine with my regular 3DS. The regular 3DS is smaller, which makes it more portable in that sense, but the XL is better game quality wise.
yeah, regular 3DS isn't that bad, but the XL size has better specs. I mean, besides size it has the superior battery (lasts hours longer than the original 3DS)

yeah, regular 3DS isn't that bad, but the XL size has better specs. I mean, besides size it has the superior battery (lasts hours longer than the original 3DS)
But usually I play my 3DS at home, or in my car, so I usually have access to a charger. Plus, I usually play for 1/2-2 hour sessions, so when I am not playing, I can easily put it for charging.

But usually I play my 3DS at home, or in my car, so I usually have access to a charger. Plus, I usually play for 1/2-2 hour sessions, so when I am not playing, I can easily put it for charging.
well yeah, if you're at home it doesn't matter. But if you're on the go and don't really have access to your charger than the extra hours of gameplay can be useful (especially when using 3D effect for extended periods of time as that drains battery...)

well yeah, if you're at home it doesn't matter. But if you're on the go and don't really have access to your charger than the extra hours of gameplay can be useful (especially when using 3D effect for extended periods of time as that drains battery...)
Oddly enough, I dont play my 3DS out of home. Usually I spend my out of home gaming on my phone using an emulator or something. But otherwise I spend most of my time on my 3DS at home.

Oddly enough, I dont play my 3DS out of home. Usually I spend my out of home gaming on my phone using an emulator or something. But otherwise I spend most of my time on my 3DS at home.
Ah I see. Yeah, I can kinda understand that to an extent. Well, whatever works for you haha It's not like you're supposed to only play the handheld outside your house lol

I prefer the 3Ds because its cheaper, smaller, and I just personally like everything to be pocket sized. I do like the 3DS better but the 3DS XL definitely does have its advantages. It has a bigger battery and the screen is bigger, making it easier to see. Its really up to how you are but I would definitely pick the regular 3DS

I prefer the 3Ds because its cheaper, smaller, and I just personally like everything to be pocket sized. I do like the 3DS better but the 3DS XL definitely does have its advantages. It has a bigger battery and the screen is bigger, making it easier to see. Its really up to how you are but I would definitely pick the regular 3DS
At the least though, I think most can agree that both options are superior to the 2DS in all aspects besides the price each individual system is sold at

Reactions: D4rkDragon and Vantero
I have bought the XL version, because, the 3DS was good, but I remember having a headache because I tried it in a supermarket with full 3D. And more, as you can see in my profile picture, it was the XL version. Yes, in France, you can only buy the 3DS XL or the 2DS. The first model was removed from all supermarkets.

And another point for the XL -> Battery. (Everybody said that the battery last longer.)

---> 2DS ? I don't really see its use. Except it is much cheaper, but doesn't run games in 3D, and is not really portable.

I have bought the XL version, because, the 3DS was good, but I remember having a headache because I tried it in a supermarket with full 3D. And more, as you can see in my profile picture, it was the XL version. Yes, in France, you can only buy the 3DS XL or the 2DS. The first model was removed from all supermarkets.

And another point for the XL -> Battery. (Everybody said that the battery last longer.)

---> 2DS ? I don't really see its use. Except it is much cheaper, but doesn't run games in 3D, and is not really portable.
2DS was mainly made as a cheaper option for parents to buy for their kids or for those on a budget. The main thing it has going for it is the price-point

Yes, but they could have at least made the 2DS pliable.

Yes, but they could have at least made the 2DS pliable.
perhaps they could, but at the same time Nintendo may have wanted to try something new. For all we know, it could have added to the cost to do so and Nintendo was looking for ways to make it cheaper

Reactions: D4rkDragon
It's true that I haven't seen the 2DS under this angle. Thanks for the info.

I have a question for you guys. Which Nintendo gaming device do you prefer between the Nintendo 3DS and the 3DS XL? The 3DS XL is larger, however, it'll cost you a little extra dough.

I prefere the Nintendo 3DS. It is very small and compact but the only disadvantage is that it has horrible battery life. It's not very expensive as well. But it's next gen and I can play the new games so that is pretty much why I got it.

It would have to be the normal 3DS. It's not too big like the 3DS XL. It can fit in your pocket! xD

Last edited:
The 3DS has much better graphics than it's predecessor the Nintendo DS, as well as being improved visually on that front, there is also the fact that the screens are slightly brighter than the DS and that also they are somewhat bigger.

Half a dozen free Augmented Reality games actually come free with the console itself! Using the built in Cameras and a pack of cards given with the unit which you then scan, you can move the 3DS around and actually see objects appear on your kitchen table or any other surface you choose! It's a very neat box of tricks and makes the device very unique in that respect. Being free also helps!

When I heard about Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, I had to have one. Figured I'd purchase Pokemon X while I was at it.

I finally gave in to buying a 3DS XL when Pokemon X/Y were in the works. I love the Pokemon franchise, more the video games than anything else, and these games sounded exciting, so of course I got X. Not too long ago, I got Brain Age: Concentration Training for the same system and I play that one almost daily. It was definitely worth it, let me tell you!

I will choose 3ds xl as it is 90 percent bigger compare to 3ds and it also two big sreens also it works smoother comparatively to 3ds In my ooopinio. Got better battery life line as you play more

Back