Which Paper Mario game is your favorite?

• Thread starter TheIceReaper
  • Start date
Mine is definitely Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. Good music, memorable story and great mechanics. It's the most fun for me to play, and a surprisingly more adult themed hub world for a Mario game. Overall, it's loads of fun.

thousand year door and super paper mario are tied for my favorite.
but i like n64 paper mario , sticker star and color splash music quite a lot.
the pit of 100 trials in super paper mario is my favorite paper mario song , i still listen to it to this day.
i loved playing both 1000 year door and super paper mario , i would play through both multiple times. same with paper mario n64. did not play color splash , played sticker star but did not beat that game.

I never completed the 100 trials in Super Paper Mario. I gave up because it was so hard o_O

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door is definitely my fave. It had great music, great story, and the partners in that game were well thought out. The final boss was probably the hardest I’ve ever fought, and to be honest, to this day I still haven’t beaten it. Maybe someday, I’ll go back and show that boss what’s what. :p

Super Paper Mario was also fantastic, and had probably the best music of the series. There were plot twists that were amazing, and I felt like the story was worked on fluently. Most people didn’t like the new battle system, but I didn’t mind the change of pace. Also, one thing I didn’t like about this game is that the partners (besides Tippi) felt very out of place, and didn’t feel like they had any backstory.

The original Paper Mario for the N64 was awesome, but tbh, I probably don’t have much of an opinion on this game, as I didn’t get far into it before getting distracted with other things. Maybe I’ll go back to it soon, and if I do, I’ll share my thoughts on that game here as well.

Paper Mario Sticker Star was definitely the worst game in the series. The story was incredibly lacking, the new battle system was poorly designed, and was just underworked in general. The final boss was incredibly underwhelming, and could have been so much better. They rushed the game out without a second thought, and didn’t do anything to fix it. Overall, it was terrible, and very unappreciated.

Paper Mario Color Splash was actually pretty fun for me. I don’t know what everyone else’s opinion is on the matter, but I enjoyed the style of the game. Sure, it had the card system, similar to Sticker Star, but I enjoyed playing it. Definitely wasn’t 5e best ya,e in the franchise, but it was decent.

Then, we come to the spin-off of the series, Paper Jam. I guess that technically, this game exists in both the Paper Mario franchise and the Mario and Luigi RPG series. Anyway, back to what I was talking about. Not everyone will agree with me on this, but I loved Paper Jam. I must have 100% completed the game at least four times now. I don’t know why I like it so much, tbh. Maybe it’s because it mixes two of my favorite game series of all time. Plus, the missions were fun, and the battle system was awesome. The only flaw I saw in this game was that the Paper Toad missions were just too easy. Even the Hard Mode on these missions were never really hard.

Anyway, there’s my thoughts on all the Paper Mario games. If so had to make a list of all my favorites in order, it would probably look something like this:

1. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
2. Super Paper Mario
3. Mario and Luigi: Paper Jam
4. Paper Mario: Color Splash
5. Paper Mario
6. Paper Mario: Sticker Star

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door is definitely my fave. It had great music, great story, and the partners in that game were well thought out. The final boss was probably the hardest I’ve ever fought, and to be honest, to this day I still haven’t beaten it. Maybe someday, I’ll go back and show that boss what’s what. :p

Super Paper Mario was also fantastic, and had probably the best music of the series. There were plot twists that were amazing, and I felt like the story was worked on fluently. Most people didn’t like the new battle system, but I didn’t mind the change of pace. Also, one thing I didn’t like about this game is that the partners (besides Tippi) felt very out of place, and didn’t feel like they had any backstory.

The original Paper Mario for the N64 was awesome, but tbh, I probably don’t have much of an opinion on this game, as I didn’t get far into it before getting distracted with other things. Maybe I’ll go back to it soon, and if I do, I’ll share my thoughts on that game here as well.

Paper Mario Sticker Star was definitely the worst game in the series. The story was incredibly lacking, the new battle system was poorly designed, and was just underworked in general. The final boss was incredibly underwhelming, and could have been so much better. They rushed the game out without a second thought, and didn’t do anything to fix it. Overall, it was terrible, and very unappreciated.

Paper Mario Color Splash was actually pretty fun for me. I don’t know what everyone else’s opinion is on the matter, but I enjoyed the style of the game. Sure, it had the card system, similar to Sticker Star, but I enjoyed playing it. Definitely wasn’t 5e best ya,e in the franchise, but it was decent.

Then, we come to the spin-off of the series, Paper Jam. I guess that technically, this game exists in both the Paper Mario franchise and the Mario and Luigi RPG series. Anyway, back to what I was talking about. Not everyone will agree with me on this, but I loved Paper Jam. I must have 100% completed the game at least four times now. I don’t know why I like it so much, tbh. Maybe it’s because it mixes two of my favorite game series of all time. Plus, the missions were fun, and the battle system was awesome. The only flaw I saw in this game was that the Paper Toad missions were just too easy. Even the Hard Mode on these missions were never really hard.

Anyway, there’s my thoughts on all the Paper Mario games. If so had to make a list of all my favorites in order, it would probably look something like this:

1. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
2. Super Paper Mario
3. Mario and Luigi: Paper Jam
4. Paper Mario: Color Splash
5. Paper Mario
6. Paper Mario: Sticker Star
Your opinions match up pretty much perfectly with mine, except I haven’t played paper jam. I also couldn’t finish paper mario 64 because it just wasn’t interesting enough after playing thousand year door and super paper mario. I still wanna play through it, but yeah, its definitely the first game in the series, and is very simple because of it.
I did enjoy color splash a bit, but compared to the original trilogy the battle and exp system is still disappointing.. i got it for Christmas when i asked for either mario party:star rush or color splash, and I still wish i had just asked for mario party..

Reactions: Samster
Your opinions match up pretty much perfectly with mine, except I haven’t played paper jam. I also couldn’t finish paper mario 64 because it just wasn’t interesting enough after playing thousand year door and super paper mario. I still wanna play through it, but yeah, its definitely the first game in the series, and is very simple because of it.
I did enjoy color splash a bit, but compared to the original trilogy the battle and exp system is still disappointing.. i got it for Christmas when i asked for either mario party:star rush or color splash, and I still wish i had just asked for mario party..
Oh, you should be glad you asked for Color Splash. Mario Party Star Rush was TERRIBLE. It wasn’t even a really Mario Party game, just a super lame spinoff.

Oh, you should be glad you asked for Color Splash. Mario Party Star Rush was TERRIBLE. It wasn’t even a really Mario Party game, just a super lame spinoff.
Ive played it, and I thought it was pretty good. And no, it wasn’t just for a few minutes, I played for like 6 hours. I thought it was fun anyway, and all the minigames were on point.
Super mario party seems to also have learned how to make a good mario party.

Back