Gen 1 Who is gonna buy Pokemon Yellow (VC)

• Thread starter Pookie
  • Start date
I own a cartridge copy of pokemon yellow, but I think I'm going to buy all 3 games. JUUUST in case.

I'll buy Pokemon Yellow IF it has online battle and trades. There's not much to do in the post-game other than catching mewtwo. Pokemon ORAS post-game is the boring delta episode and just breeding to a perfect pokemon. I really never liked the main pokemon games post-game except the old ones. (Battle frontier, Platinum.) The other pokemon games post-game was good. (Pokemon Conquest, Pokemon Mystery dungeon)

If my friends get them I will get them. If my friends don't get them I will not get them. The only advantage I can see from owning one of the Gen 1 games on my 3DS is finally being able to trade and battle, something I can't do in the original. I own Pokemon Red and Yellow versions, so if I were to get any version, I would probably get Blue. But I just don't see much point so it's unlikely I will.
I'll buy Pokemon Yellow IF it has online battle and trades.
Yeah this would be pretty cool. I actually said on another forum a while back before these games were revealed for Virtual Console that it would be awesome if they would bring back Gen 1 and incorporated online play into it, as it would be a nice more relaxed change of pace from the pretty hectic at times Gen 6 battles. I must disagree however, that the Delta Episode in ORAS is NOT boring. :p I thought it was pretty cool.

I might considering to get Pokemon Yellow VC first, among others, because of Pikachu being part of the spotlight on this version. I'd like to have Pikachu talk in its Pika speak and walking together with it while I'm on the journey.

I am definitely gunna be buying Pokemon Red version for sure!!! I never got to play the games as a kid and only started playing Pokemon a year and a half ago on an emulator on my phone for Pokemon Blue. For me this is awesome because I can finally play on my console, trade, and battle legitimately. And because its on VC I never have to worry about the internal battery dying!

I don't think i'm going to buy Pokemon Yellow, or any of the others on vc. Pokemon Yellow was my first game and I played that like crazy for ages. It used to be my favourite game and all but I don't really have any need to get 1st gen again. I also have Red so there's no point for me to get either of the other two.

However, it is really cool they're releasing the pokemon games vc now.. Was there any reason why they couldn't have done this earlier or did they just want to take their sweet time?

Reactions: RogueZephyr
However, it is really cool they're releasing the pokemon games vc now.. Was there any reason why they couldn't have done this earlier or did they just want to take their sweet time?
I think a while back Gamefreak were adamant about not adding Pokemon to VC? I thought I recall reading it somewhere around the time games were being revealed for the 3DS Ambassador Program. Maybe they didn't want to re-sell old Pokemon games, and just focus on creating new editions (like making ORAS compared to re-releasing R/S/E). Personally VC Pokemon always kinda seemed like an obvious decision to me.

I think a while back Gamefreak were adamant about not adding Pokemon to VC? I thought I recall reading it somewhere around the time games were being revealed for the 3DS Ambassador Program. Maybe they didn't want to re-sell old Pokemon games, and just focus on creating new editions (like making ORAS compared to re-releasing R/S/E). Personally VC Pokemon always kinda seemed like an obvious decision to me.

About 2-3 years ago, Game Freak's reasoning for not putting them up at the time was because if they were to do so, it would have to have fully emulated trading and battling as that's a pivotal point of Pokemon, which no Virtual Console title has done before if I'm not mistaken. True to their word, we will be getting at least local wireless trading and battling for the first time on a Gameboy/ Color Virtual Console title. They would also probably only put it on a handheld since the main series is meant to be played as such, so only the first two generations would be admissible (unless Nintendo has a change of heart and decides to put up GBA titles on the 3DS.)

I'm guessing the timing of these releases also plays into it. They will be released on the Virtual Console list exactly 20 years since Red and Green was first released in Japan (February 27th, 1996) so it's only appropriate to do so now. Had they done it earlier it probably wouldn't have been as special of an occasion and they would've missed their chance.

I have a feeling they will probably do the same with Pokemon Gold, Silver and Crystal on November 21st, 2019. Although I hope it doesn't come to that. It'd be really neat if we got those games earlier since they are considered amongst most fans to be the Magnum Opus of the franchise.

Reactions: Mr. L
About 2-3 years ago, Game Freak's reasoning for not putting them up at the time was because if they were to do so, it would have to have fully emulated trading and battling as that's a pivotal point of Pokemon, which no Virtual Console title has done before if I'm not mistaken. True to their word, we will be getting at least local wireless trading and battling for the first time on a Gameboy/ Color Virtual Console title. They would also probably only put it on a handheld since the main series is meant to be played as such, so only the first two generations would be admissible (unless Nintendo has a change of heart and decides to put up GBA titles on the 3DS.)

I'm guessing the timing of these releases also plays into it. They will be released on the Virtual Console list exactly 20 years since Red and Green was first released in Japan (February 27th, 1996) so it's only appropriate to do so now. Had they done it earlier it probably wouldn't have been as special of an occasion and they would've missed their chance.

I have a feeling they will probably do the same with Pokemon Gold, Silver and Crystal on November 21st, 2019. Although I hope it doesn't come to that. It'd be really neat if we got those games earlier since they are considered amongst most fans to be the Magnum Opus of the franchise.
oohh okay thanks! That clears it up for me. It makes sense they'd do it on the 20th anniversary, it's pretty awesome we're finally getting them on VC.

I really do hope they release Pokemon Gold, Silver and Crystal on vc.. I used to have a copy of Silver I think but can't find it anymore, it'd be great to play it again. I'm assuming November 21st, 2019 is also the 20th anniversary of their Japanese release :p Of which I agree with you it is highly likely it'd come out then. While it would be better for them to come out earlier they're probably just going to do it as another 20th for extra hype and sales.

Reactions: Pandaxclone2
I'm going to buy it go picachu all the way

Back