Why is everyone scared of the new 3DS?

• Thread starter Catstew
  • Start date
Catstew

Catstew

Pedia Mastermind
Towns Folk
Well, to put it to you straight, it's surprising.

Did anyone expect the New 3DS to have Xenoblade Chronicles on it EXCLUSIVELY? No!

Did anyone expect it to have better 3D, or just 3D in general? No!

Did anyone expect it to have colored buttons? No! But I like that, its nice. :3

Did anyone expect it to have a different layout, with new buttons? No!

Did anyone expect it to have CASES that CHANGE THE INTERFACE? NO NO NO!

I don't think EVERYONE is scared of it, I just think the people who are scared of it are scared of change. They didn't expect that there would be a new console so quickly, its simple as that.
The people that are NOT scared or suprised are people that were hoping for a new 3DS, they're sick of the one they had, they want a new one, and they're getting one.

So, in about 3 months, everyone will be on the hype train for it after Nintendo talks about it more in-depth.

That's my theory though. A GAME THEO- you guys thought id say that. HAH!

Discuss down below on it and stuff. Cya!

(also, I for one like the name.)

Reactions: faustine
I think it's because we feel ripped off. We all bought 3DSes before and were living happy lives with them, when this 'semi next-gen' system, as @nicklesimba put it in the other thread, was suddenly announced, and we were told that Xenoblade was not going to be playable on older 3DSes. Yeah, it improves everything and removes the problems of the old 3DS models, but really, if they could announce it that suddenly, why couldn't they insert the improvements in the first place?

Reactions: faustine, TvSonic Serbia, EstebanTill2 and 4 others
It's sort of like Nintendo betrayed us. What the rapidly growing fear is, is that Nintendo will start making exclusives for this N3DS and stop supporting the old one, forcing us to upgrade. Considering that many got their 3DS rather recently, since it's a relatively new system, it really sucks having to upgrade already.

Reactions: faustine, PersonSP, Kaynil and 1 other person
Upcoming wall of text, so warning !
Okay. Just let me list you everything that is wrong with the N3DS.

1) MicroSD Compatibility and the Computer Transfer are the only positive things that I would see with the N3DS, as well as the changeable shell, and the upgraded 3D and the ZL/ZR buttons, the rest is gimmicky. That said, let's tackle the bad part of the N3DS.

2) Just like what @Ashkil and @Spinnerweb, it's like getting stabbed in the back by Nintendo. A lot of us bought 3DSes not too long ago, and even now, people are still buying 3DSes, and then, Mr. Iwata tells us that there will be a 3DS 1.5 that isn't even some kind of accessory or definitive thing you would apply to your regular 3DS/2DS, but a new 3DS model that is stronger than the originals, and to rub salt into the wounds of already pretty injured players, they show us a N3DS port of Xenoblade that is N3DS only, and they implicitly let the players know that there might be more games that will be N3DS-only.

3) You just found the problem, you posted it: Xenoblade won't be the only N3DS-only game. We all know that Nintendo will deprive us of potential 1st party games, or that 3rd-party editors will start unleashing a consequent amount of games requiring the use of this new system.

4) The C-Stick would have been a great idea, if it was bigger. It has the size of the Start button of an official GC controller, and I don't think it'll be comfortable to use a stick that small, especially for games like Monster Hunter, where, as an example, your finger may slide off the C-Stick (and all of us know that you often need to re-adjust the camera's position while playing.) So, the C-Stick's size is a joke, and on many other forums, this is subject to critics.

5) Do you imagine the customers' reactions to this, especially the ones who pre-ordered the SSB4 3DS XL, or bought a 3DS(XL)/2DS there was a few days as an example ? Well, add those to the people who will be mad at Nintendo.

6) Imagine when this so-acclaimed by Nintendo 3DS 1.5 will be out, pushing out some great 3DS games off the shelves for N3DS-only games. Imagine a parent who don't know anything about the 3DS or is confused, and offer a N3DS-only game to their child who has a 3DS/2DS, and not a N3DS. Do you imagine the reaction of both: 1) the child, who has an unusable game, 2) the parents, who will feel scammed, because the game isn't compatible with their child's 3DS/2DS?
They'd better write (with a big font) on the games' packaging that they aren't 3DS(XL)/2DS compatible.

7) No plan on Nintendo's part for actual 3DS owners. Sure, let's alienate 45M 3DS owners, they were stupid enough to buy the 3DS(XL)/2DS. They don't even have a plan for a "Give us your old 3DS, get a N3DS instead or a reduction" kind of campaign. Do you imagine yourself buying twice the same system because a few games won't work on the original ? Sounds like a bit what Sega did with the Sega-CD and the 32X. They had an excuse, those were accessories you would plug on the machine, so, you were buying expansions of the system.

So, let me correct you: We aren't scared, we are just mad. Also, I'm not sure about cases that'll change the interface, maybe they'll include them in bundle, or they'll stab again the consumer and give them a regular HOME Menu (and you'll have to pay).

PS: Sorry if that sound rude, but Nintendo found a way to make players lose faith in them with this 3DS 1.5. And sorry if that sounds long to read too, but I wanted to list everything wrong with this N3DS.

Reactions: Kaynil, 532, 18 and 1 other person
I honestly feel like Nintendo needs to stop releasing handhelds like this, the "New" 3DS should have been what the 3DS originally was back in 2011, having all these different 3DS models is nothing but confusing to the casual consumer. Now, I will still be buying the "New" 3DS, just because I haven't bought a 3DS XL yet but I don't think Nintendo will stop supporting the OG 3DS/2DS, the exclusives to the "New" 3DS will most likely just be a select few ports from other Nintendo systems.

Reactions: Kaynil and 532
No one is really scared of it I would say... Just surprised and actually mostly happy, or not minding it coming out :) it will help Nintendo's sales and seems like an amazing upgrade to an amazing handheld!

Wow.... I just found out today...... well, my 3ds is damaged.... so that's good news for me.

I don't think "scared" is the word, I'm more disappointed in Nintendo for doing this. As Spinnerweb said, we all feel ripped off by Nintendo. The 3DS is selling SO WELL, so well that it's been named console of the year (2013) because of having even more sales that the PS4/XboxOne. I don't mind the new hardware with the extra "Circle Pad" and more but... those exclusives, I really hope they don't get carried away with that. We feel cheated, like Nintendo stole money from us, if they do implement more exclusive into that product, I'll be really angry.

They barely gave the 3DS time to breathe, I see it as a new console because of the exclusives, it's just backwards compatible with 3DS games... It just sneaked up on us, I honestly don't think Nintendo expected us to (3DS owners) to be happy with this, the're out of their minds if they did.

Reactions: 532 and D4rkDragon
Agreed with all of your points. I feel like having a knife in my back, as I bought my 3DS XL less than a year ago. I wouldn't really have bothered with the improved hardware, but now that they are releasing exclusives, I'm so disappointed in Nintendo. I didn't really expect this from them, even if the 3DS is 4 years old. I'm sure a lot of people feel the same way, and the 3DS is NOWHERE near the end of it's life. Hell, I could say the library is just starting to build up. Personally, I think that these features should have been implemented when the 3DS XL came out.

Reactions: Kaynil and D4rkDragon
Agreed with all of your points. I feel like having a knife in my back, as I bought my 3DS XL less than a year ago. I wouldn't really have bothered with the improved hardware, but now that they are releasing exclusives, I'm so disappointed in Nintendo. I didn't really expect this from them, even if the 3DS is 4 years old. I'm sure a lot of people feel the same way, and the 3DS is NOWHERE near the end of it's life. Hell, I could say the library is just starting to build up. Personally, I think that these features should have been implemented when the 3DS XL came out.
Honestly they are not going to release a new Mario or Pokemon game that it's just exclusive to the New 3DS for at least 2-3 years. Maybe they are going with "dual" releases, games can run or look better when played on the New 3DS, and have other exclusive features only possible on the system. There's also the possibility that as said above, this "exclusive" games will be ports of Wii and Gamecube games which can't be ported to "old" 3DS consoles. I mean, there's no way that a game as big as Xenoblade could run on the current 3DS.

And the console it's not gonna be dropped in favour of the New models. Remember Codename STEAM it's coming next year to the 3DS. And there's the dozens of japanese games that are released on the console anually too.

I think the good thing about the New 3DS it's that now there's no excuse for SNES, GBA and N64 games to not be released on it's VC!

Also a better CPU means that maybe they can create a Unity engine for the console (which they have stated to be interested in doing), which means finally there would be true cross-platform compatibility with most of indie games also released on the Wii U.

Reactions: 532
While I'll still be getting one, I'm completely indifferent for the time being as I'm waiting for more information.

7) No plan on Nintendo's part for actual 3DS owners. Sure, let's alienate 45M 3DS owners, they were stupid enough to buy the 3DS(XL)/2DS. They don't even have a plan for a "Give us your old 3DS, get a N3DS instead or a reduction" kind of campaign.
To be honest, I think you're really jumping the gun on that part. The N3DS hasn't even come out in Japan yet (let alone has a release date for other regions besides next year), and you're assuming there's going to be no exchange plan or anything for it, when there very well could be an announcement of an exchange program within the coming months. You never know.

if they could announce it that suddenly, why couldn't they insert the improvements in the first place?
Considering the amount of change the N3DS has (new CPU, changed button layout, more powerful 3D, etc.), I doubt they could pull that off without it being long-winded and tedious.

Reactions: Kaynil
To be honest, I think you're really jumping the gun on that part. The N3DS hasn't even come out in Japan yet (let alone has a release date for other regions besides next year), and you're assuming there's going to be no exchange plan or anything for it, when there very well could be an announcement of an exchange program within the coming months. You never know.

Yep, maybe (I admit it) I overdid it. But that would have been better to already have prepared some kind of plan for that and show it in the Nintendo Direct, don't you think? And, yes, let's hope they do it at least, since how good they have been lately to make bad decisions :meh:... (Personally, I hope that they'll do it...)

I think the biggest reason that we all jumped the gun was just the suddeness of the entire affair. Out of the blue pretty much Nintendo announces a new 3DS when the 'old' one isn't even that old and even announces that there are going to be exclusives. Admittedly, it's not as big of a deal as we had made it to to be, but it's still pretty annoying. The exchange programs don't even affect people like me, who live in countries Nintendo for reasons unknown don't like.

Reactions: Icemario and D4rkDragon
Yep, maybe (I admit it) I overdid it. But that would have been better to already have prepared some kind of plan for that and show it in the Nintendo Direct, don't you think?
Yes, that would've been better so no one would have to be worried about this for months. But they unfortunately didn't, so we'll have to just hope for the best, I guess.

Reactions: D4rkDragon
Typically humans are scared of new things. Sometimes we have to let other people give it a go first and see what happens! ^_^

True....

Im scared because i think that in next comng years, all the 3ds games that will come out will be only playable with the new 3ds. How about the people who recently bought a 3ds, just like me.

Reactions: Kaynil and D4rkDragon
I don't think "scared" is the word for this, maybe cheated sounds better, what do you think? Because this is how I felt, I felt like ok now you are no longer important to us as a customer, so now that you have the old 3ds you must buy a new one. If you don't you are going to be left behind because we are no longer developing games for old 3ds.
This is what I felt, nowadays, I changed my mind because I know there are still plenty of 3ds games to be played so when the time comes I will bother on deciding which path to take, right now I am gonna enjoy my 3ds

Reactions: D4rkDragon and Mikaya
Why are you all mad about this? I will Love the N3Ds because
1) N3DS exclusive games, woah, that means better power system which I bet someone pointed out
2) New places for games, new buttons.. It's like Heavenly Wii in a Handheld
3) The N3DS will have been Really bought by the release, if it sells good enough, Nintendo will discontinue WiFi for some games and even the 3DS itself, which also leads to new games which leads to friends which leads to...blah blah blah..

So yeah I'm excited as heck for this!

Im not exactly "scared" about this new device, but this made Nintendo really weird, I would say. I like the coloured buttons like they have in Xbox. However, I don't like cartridges to be put below the lower screen and the stylus over there too. They should have waited for like a year and then made the N3DS even better!

Back