Why so much Fi hate?

• Thread starter Robyn
  • Start date
Robyn

Robyn

The Ace Inquisitor
Towns Folk
Eveyone says that Fi is a bad partner and annoying, but I'm just curious why deep deep down people hate her. I found an article explaining things people hate, and I will contradict them.

1. She has no personality.
She was created by Hylia. Obviously she isn't intended to have one because her duty from HYLIA is to lead Link on his Destiny.

2. Her advice is unsolicited and useless.
Um, no? It helps you out with things obviously if you're too dim to figure things out. :3

3. You can't skip anything she says. You can at least fast forward with the OoT owl.
So you are being forced to read? Just because a partner says something, doesn't mean you have to read it. Like seriously.

4. She repeats things that game just told you. Game: "You got the beetle!" Fi: "Master, you got the beetle!"
If she did that, it'd be adorable. She gives you a better explanation of objects incase you still do not understood.

5. Worst singer since Ke$ha.
....what?

6. She gives you answers to puzzles before you even attempt them.
When? XD And again you don't have to listen and stuff.

7. Dowsing abilities unlock arbitrarily.
You. Don't. Have. To. Use. It.

8. If you do need help with a puzzle, she tells you something totally unrelated.
Adorable. And you were just complaining about her help. XD

9. Her enemy combat info is only available for enemies you've already thoroughly figured out.
She tells you how to defeat them? Like...what?

10. Her soundbyte is really, really annoying, and too similar to Midna's.
Unimportant?

11. Where is she getting these statistics from?
Her magic mind created by Hylia. Obviously. She can drowse so...

12. She's bossy, despite calling you "master."
Not really.

13. Her fives seconds where she shows a hint of emotion in the ending. Why the sudden change? Am I supposed to care all of a sudden too?
Yes xD.

14. She emphasizes how bad the pacing is.
What?

15. Absurdity. "Master, I will call the robot using telepathic transmission."
Unimportant.

16. Dat haircut.
Is fabulous.

17. She represents Nintendo not listening to its fanbase. Navi was annoying, and the consensus was that we'd like the interruptions toned down. Fifteen years later, we have a much more grating sidekick. That's the opposite of what we wanted, and it's disrespectful.

So there's a bunch of reasons; pick your favorite.

She's a robot-human. She thinks she's smart, but she's not. She's just annoying. The fact that she even has it in her to tell me my WiiMote batteries are low is just sad. Good God, they put a little battery symbol in the corner, for crying out loud! I don't need to be reminded that I have to build up the courage and strength to get off the couch! I know that my batteries are low, I'm just to lazy to get new ones!

Also, when you choose 'No' for the option to learn the dowsing technique, she says 'Understood.', and then proceeds to explain how to do it anyways, Like, what if you're in Hero Mode and already know that stuff?!?! Exactly!

I still love the character, she's cool. Of course everything she says is tedious, but let's face that almost everyone read everything she said on the first run. And about 'hero mode' well you just have to sit there skipping all the text and whatever maybe take any drink you like (Coca-Cola?) and keep on playing the thing is that you just need to relax. Because after that, let's face it, your not touching the game again. Maybe for wandering around, do some mini-games and and stuff. Low Batteries? nah, you just don't pay attention and that's all.
Eh, overall I still like her as a Zelda character, because she's unique on all the ways possible.

In my opinion, most people who hate on Fi most likely have Midna as their favorite character. (Not saying all do.)
But in my opinion, isn't it a little selfish maybe? Midna has a chance of returning to Link in a future game, but Fi can't. Now most people will send me much hate and say things like "Well we wouldn't want to see Fi anyway. Midna is 10X better regardless so..."
Well, we are all entitled to our own opinions so I agree on both parts. You say she is annoying, I agree even though I have more patience with it. You say she's a great character, I agree because she's different and unique.

She's a robot-human. She thinks she's smart, but she's not. She's just annoying. The fact that she even has it in her to tell me my WiiMote batteries are low is just sad. Good God, they put a little battery symbol in the corner, for crying out loud! I don't need to be reminded that I have to build up the courage and strength to get off the couch! I know that my batteries are low, I'm just to lazy to get new ones!
Well, some people don't take notice to the battery icon because 1. It's kinda small. And 2. They're enjoying the game itself half the time to notice. "She thinks she's smart but she's not." What is your evidence to this statement? What makes you think this? By this statement alone, you could be also saying that Hylia is not smart as well, as Fi was created by her.

This isn't a courtroom, It's a forum. And she's a pre-programmed entity. She just could have been improved in some ways, that's all.

This isn't a courtroom, It's a forum. And she's a pre-programmed entity. She just could have been improved in some ways, that's all.
Courtroom? Of course not.

I think when it comes down to it, a majority of people don't like Fi because she's a handholder and when she's not doing that she's an annoyance. Some people would rather not be told what to do, where to go or if their batteries are low. The same thing goes for Navi, too.

That's not to say that having characters like Fi are bad however; it partly hangs on the person playing the game. I'm sure there's plenty of players out there who actually wouldn't have known what to do in some situations and Fi helped, but a majority of the players are most likely veteran gamers who don't need the training wheels anymore and get infuriated when the game won't let them just enjoy the game without annoyances.

Personally, even though I've never played the game I like Fi. Chalk it up to pity or patience but I'm one of those people who sympathise with hated Zelda characters.

Reactions: Robyn
I really loved Fi in comparison to Navi, Tatl, and that talking dragon boat. I mean, Midna is in a league of her own, it's like comparing fruit to choclate, most will choose choclate over, say, an orange. But i really liked Fi because despite her bad singing, yes, i actully thought of her as having a personality. She was great, and she truly cared for you, and in the beginning i did not like her but after the second volcano dungeon where you lose your sword, the game felt so empty without her, and i was really sad until i found her again. People are just looking for excuses to hate skyward sword because it has motion controls, so they nit-pick every last detail to the point where it is impossible to enjoy any game with their logic, like people complaining about Tidus from FF 10 for being a realistic person compaired to other people.

People are just looking for excuses to hate skyward sword because it has motion controls, so they nit-pick every last detail to the point where it is impossible to enjoy any game with their logic, like people complaining about Tidus from FF 10 for being a realistic person compaired to other people.

This is realistic? (Out of context yeah, but still.)

Also, as an addendum to my previous post, I think the Fi hate may also have to do with how the character is designed. For example, one of Navi's most annoying traits is how she constantly calls out with "Hey!" "Watch out!" "Listen!" when notifying you. People seem to give Tatl more of a break despite her being pretty much Navi, but she's tied to the story with her own desires and goals instead of just being a tacked-on companion, plus it seems Nintendo got the memo and made her notifications in bells.

I suppose Fi is in the same vein as this since there are some characters that are done "right" according to the general opinion (Like Tatl and Midna) while Fi seems to be tacked on. It also probably doesn't help that she's got a robotic personality to her.

I kinda liked Fi a lot, although the only game I played which had her was Hyrule Warriors. I found her voice to be rather adorable and her advice really helped me win some battles I admit. I haven'treally tried playing as her yet because I want to level up some of the other characters like Sheik and Lana before I start working on her. But Fi is a great character nonetheless

Reactions: Pandaxclone2
I've never been a huge fan of any of the helpers in LoZ... but Fi is definitely one of the better ones. I never found her annoying.

As for not helping much? I've found that none of them have been that useful, except Fi does it with much less bossiness.. *ahem* Midna *ahem*. I found Fi to be the second most tolerable, especially in comparison to Midna, Navi and Tatl.

My favourite is the king of red lions though, he's a talking boat.

This is realistic? (Out of context yeah, but still.)

Also, as an addendum to my previous post, I think the Fi hate may also have to do with how the character is designed. For example, one of Navi's most annoying traits is how she constantly calls out with "Hey!" "Watch out!" "Listen!" when notifying you. People seem to give Tatl more of a break despite her being pretty much Navi, but she's tied to the story with her own desires and goals instead of just being a tacked-on companion, plus it seems Nintendo got the memo and made her notifications in bells.

I suppose Fi is in the same vein as this since there are some characters that are done "right" according to the general opinion (Like Tatl and Midna) while Fi seems to be tacked on. It also probably doesn't help that she's got a robotic personality to her.
By "realistic" I mean he is just a regular teenager who misses his home, unlike Cloud, Squall, that tail person from IX, and basically every other main character.
Off topic, Fi is great though

@BlazingPheonix are you kidding?! I LOVED the Skyward Sword motion controls; I never had any issues with them, ever.

@BlazingPheonix are you kidding?! I LOVED the Skyward Sword motion controls; I never had any issues with them, ever.
Personally, I enjoyed them too. However that is not the case with most people. They were/are extremely controversial due to the accuracy of the controls, along with the constant need to recalibrate the Wii remote, and simply those times where the controls cost you a heart. I actually had a really fun time with the controls and game, and in my opinion people need to calm down when it comes to stuff like this, because of one thing they call a game garbage so they look at every possible target, including Fi. Who here would rate this game a 9/10 and call Fi horrible? Probably no one, maybe some small hate, but not full out terrible.

People hate being interrupted when they're trying to play games, and Fi does that constantly.

well change your dang batteries already, besides EVERY game does that, usally just with text rather than a character
People hate being interrupted when they're trying to play games, and Fi does that constantly.

I'm not talking about the batteries (the batteries thing is still dumb though), and not every game does that, at all, and if it does it's usually skippable.

Play LTTP and see how little you get interrupted by text boxes and characters unless it's necessary story stuff.

Pretty much all of the companions in Legend Of Zelda are bad. I mean, I've head Midna was good, but I've never played Twilight Princess so I can't judge. But back to Fi. I didn't really find her that annoying... Just not that interesting or helpful. I already knew the stuff she was telling me most of the time. But hey, at least she's better than Navi- "HEY LISTEN, PRESS A TO OPEN A DOOR!"

Back