Why so much Fi hate?

• Thread starter Robyn
  • Start date
I liked Fi, but I admit they wasted a lot of potential, if they bothered to develop her personality I bet she would have become a fan-favorite on the league of Midna.

I mean, she spends all the game being emotionless, sure, she's a magic divine robot and all, but then at the very end she shows a small hint of emotion... Then goes bavk into the sword forever, that's Fi's story development in a nutshell.

Her "hint of emotion" at the end does fall flat, had they fleshed out a better personality, it would have had a deeper inpact. There's also the fact that a lot of background info was left out, her relationship with Ghirahim? Both are sword spirits with similar appearances, but they don't interact, at all. Her take om the game's events? No to that either.

I liked Her take om the game's events? No to that either.

She does talk about in game events and some side quests...you just have to prompt it. For instance if you ask for Peatrice's data once you tell her you love her, Fi says something along the lines of

"I can see you love this girl, it's best you do not mention this around Zelda."

You've made your argument well, I'm glad to get a perspective of both people.

This is realistic? (Out of context yeah, but still.)

Also, as an addendum to my previous post, I think the Fi hate may also have to do with how the character is designed. For example, one of Navi's most annoying traits is how she constantly calls out with "Hey!" "Watch out!" "Listen!" when notifying you. People seem to give Tatl more of a break despite her being pretty much Navi, but she's tied to the story with her own desires and goals instead of just being a tacked-on companion, plus it seems Nintendo got the memo and made her notifications in bells.

I suppose Fi is in the same vein as this since there are some characters that are done "right" according to the general opinion (Like Tatl and Midna) while Fi seems to be tacked on. It also probably doesn't help that she's got a robotic personality to her.

Ugh, that laugh scene again. I don't hate Tidus I didn't care much for his actor.
(I actually was okay-ish with Tidus.)

I don't know much about Fi, but I'm generally not annoyed with guidance characters in LoZ (Navi is the #1 exception for me tho, lol). All of those facts seem like dumb reasons to find Fi annoying tbh. xD

I don't know much about Fi, but I'm generally not annoyed with guidance characters in LoZ (Navi is the #1 exception for me tho, lol). All of those facts seem like dumb reasons to find Fi annoying tbh. xD
I don't find her annoying, I find her bland, you can thank the game's below average writing for that

While Fi typically has her traits that anyone would pick on, she isn't as annoying and useless as some of the other partners that Link has had in other Zelda games. I find her very unique from the other partners. No matter what, there will always be somebody who would hate on a character xP

Reactions: Pandaxclone2
I love Fi! I think she's adorable and definintely draw able. She looks so cute, too! I have listened to her song for about 3 hours overall, as well. So, with that being said, she's awesome, in my opinion. She also reminds me of Midna, in some ways.

Reactions: Pandaxclone2
She's one of my favorite Zelda characters, and isn't as annoying as Navi ;PI find her vocie to be pretty cute, but it is a little annoying when she tells you your battery low XP But her guidance seems to be useful, and cool how she shows you how many of that enemy you defeated.

I understand the hate towards Fi to an extent. She is a bit of a hand holding companion. But you have to take into account that she was created for the sole purpose of helping the hero complete his quest. I bought Skyward Sword right when it came out, so I was in middle school, and I needed Fi's help. Replaying it now that I'm much older and have better critical thinking skills, I see how she can create an issue.
However I love Fi, and will still tear up at the end scene
when she goes back into the sword never to be seen again.

Last edited by a moderator:
I liked Fi and navi, they have so much hate and i kinda like them, they just want to help the player and complete the story of the games, without them many of us would be stuck ( i know their advice is kinda dumb but they have at least one great advice like when navi tells u wat to do in the final battle) I thibk the can be annoying sometimes but i understand the hate: THEY CAN BE ANNOYING, and some people are annoyed really easily

Honestly, I quite like Fi, and never really understood the hate towards her, either. Honestly, I feel like my after the huge debate with the control scheme for the game, a lot of people just started lashing out and completely trashing everything about it, whether it was bad or not. I liked the game quite a bit, and Fi is one of my favorite partners from the Zelda franchise. So I don’t get the hate, either. :p

Back