Wii U and 3DS Region Lock.

• Thread starter xXAwesomeDudeXx
  • Start date
xXAwesomeDudeXx

xXAwesomeDudeXx

Just an Awesome Guy.
Towns Folk
As you probably know, the Wii U and the Nintendo 3DS both have region lock on them, some people may find it annoying while other people do not really care. The Wii U is now the only console in Next-Gen that has region lock on it and it might be possible for Nintendo to kind of back track like Microsoft did with the Xbox One. This would be very convenient with me as I have friends with European Region 3DS's and Wii U's and it would be useful for it to be Region Free. What's your opinion on this and if you don't like it go sing this petition at: http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitio...king-make-the-3ds-and-wii-u-region-free#share

I really hate the Region lock. its difficult because in Australia we do get quite a few games its just we don't get many in stock so I'm always missing out on the game and will have to wait weeks to months until they re stock. by getting rid of the region lock i will be able to buy games without having to worry about it not being in stock in Australia.

I'm gonna be signing the petition for sure but even if we do reach the target amount Nintendo might not make it region free :(

I don't care about region lock on retail games, I can wait.

A region free eShop would be godly tho.

Reactions: Eevee
Yea I would like a region free zone. So im gonna sign up!

I'm gonna be signing the petition for sure but even if we do reach the target amount Nintendo might not make it region free :(

I also dont think that Nintendo will change their views on this matter....But there is no harm in trying.

Reactions: Eevee
I hate that Nintendo globalized and made NTSC-J NTSC-U PAL a thing now. It was OK on the Wii as 99% people used homebrew to remove region locks for pirate games, but new gen consoles with low probability of homebrew? Now that's stupid. I wish they would just make Nintendo Bucks or Nintendo Coins as a global eShop currency and make global game servers like VALVe did/tried to do back in 2010. What's more annoying (for me at least) is not being able to automatically change eShop pre-paid codes into your country's currency i.e. a 50$ code will change into a 40 euro code when registered. I have a 10$ code which is unusable because of region lock -.-

If you made it all the way through the nice wall of frustrated text, I congradulate you :D

Reactions: xXAwesomeDudeXx
The region free sucks. I want Adventure Time on the 3DS, but they only made the first one available in the eShop for people in the UK, while y'all in the USA get actual physical copies... As I'm not willing to pay double the price for a digital version, I'm really annoyed that I can't just get one from another country. Dat box art, man.

The region free sucks. I want Adventure Time on the 3DS, but they only made the first one available in the eShop for people in the UK, while y'all in the USA get actual physical copies... As I'm not willing to pay double the price for a digital version, I'm really annoyed that I can't just get one from another country. Dat box art, man.

Yea! I don't normally download the games from the eshop because it is overpriced. I think mario kart 8 was around £49.99 on the eshop... I got it from Asda for £39.99.

I dislike the region lock, but since when do petitions work anyway? I signed petitions years before and now I get a stupid email from those petition sites every day begging me to, "Stop the Fruitcake Orangutan Massacre," "Give All Dolphins US Citizenship," etc. :panda:
I learned my lesson from that so I won't sign this.

Reactions: xXAwesomeDudeXx
My country isn't even in the Countries in Nintendo's List but Pokemon B/W and B2/W2 has it :panda:
Region locking won't make sense with countries like mine and what am I to do wen I want to purchase physical Nintendo stuff in Club Nintendo and it'll be tedious for my aunt and uncle living in the US for them to deliver, let's say, a poster from Club Nintendo to Encino, Cal then to my country (My aunt kinda did that for me once on my B-day though). My point is that if the Big N wants to Region lock, they should at least consider the other country's perspective in this Region Lock since not everyone who owns a Nintendo Product lives in the US, Jap, etc

I dislike the region lock, but since when do petitions work anyway? I signed petitions years before and now I get a stupid email from those petition sites every day begging me to, "Stop the Fruitcake Orangutan Massacre," "Give All Dolphins US Citizenship," etc. :panda:
I learned my lesson from that so I won't sign this.
Lol, give all Dolphins US Citizenshsip. xD.

If you have Gmail and any other email that supports filtering into spam by email address, just do that. Simple.

It might not work, but there is no harm in trying as @Mario1992 said, and with over 30k people who signed that petition so many people want it, and I think it would be stupid of them for them to just ignore it. If it's not possible to unlock the console via a system update, they could make it so that all future games are not region-locked and are region free.

Reactions: 18
I'll sign, because that's what I hate with Nintendo. While every next-gen console is region free, Nintendo keep the tyranny of the Region Lock. Why didn't they do the same as the DS, who was Region Free (at least, mine can read US and Japanese games)?

Because of the "kernel who don't have a table for Chinese/Japanese/Put Language With Signs Here" ? That excuse won't work forever, and if you play NTSC-J games on a Wii (through homebrew), you can clearly see that Japanese characters (Hiraganas/Katakanas/Kanjis) are rendered properly. Same goes with the DS games, so, if it isn't the proof that the kernel thingy is a lame excuse.

And if they use the excuse of the PAL and NTSC being rendered differently, again, lame excuse! NTSC games are perfectly rendered on my Wii, and I think that PAL games are also well rendered on NTSC(J) Wiis.

It's time to abolish the tyranny of the "region lock", make customers get access to play any game, coming from anywhere.

Reactions: xXAwesomeDudeXx, Eevee and 18
3DS Region Lock is really lame

doesn't really bother me, since I buy games where I live as they made for my specific console. It can get annoying when there are more contests for NA 3DS users here, though. :p

good luck guys, hope you manage to make this happen. ;)

I hate region lock:mad:

Region lock is the worst idea brought up by Nintendo, IMO. Now in the eShop, you cannot even use foreign credit cards to add money to your eWallet.

Reactions: 18
I loathe region-lock, it's not a matter of only the games, it's the bigger picture, I'm positive the're some people who turned away from the 3DS because NA is getting more games, and the EU is getting none. It doesn't give the console (3DS) positive reputation, and you end up feeling very restricted.

I'm signing it, and hoping for the best, I believe Nintendo will change their outlook on region-lock in the future.

I don't even see how region lock can make them more money, so what's the point. Both the company and the customer lose.

I don't even see how region lock can make them more money, so what's the point. Both the company and the customer lose.
I emailed them about it once and they said region locking helps them estimate sales figures better.

I don't get it either :panda:

I emailed them about it once and they said region locking helps them estimate sales figures better.

I guess its a control thing?

I guess its a control thing?

Yes, they do it to control the sales of games. But again, irrelevant excuse to say that they simply don't want us to play US/EU (<- Choose depending on what region your 3DS is) and Japanese games on our 3DS.
What's even more stupid is that Microsoft and Sony control the sales, but won't go this far.

Reactions: 18 and milesose
Back