Will online go away on Wii U when NX is released?

• Thread starter Morgan643DS
  • Start date
Morgan643DS

Morgan643DS

I'm Not A Pikachu
Towns Folk
So the NX is on its way, and like a lot of other people I'm excited to see what games are released on the console. One thing I am a bit worried about is Wii U's online features and stuff. Remember when Nintendo stripped the Wii of online play? Will they do the same thing to the Wii U? I hope they don't, because there are a few games that does require you to play the game online on Wii U. So what do you think? Do you think Nintendo will take away online play on Wii U? Let me know your thoughts.

In time, probably. I don't think they'll remove it on the NX's launch date. They might stop support for certain game events like Splatoon's Splatfest or discontinue DLC and/or updates.

Reactions: Mikaya, Slayerpon Tatsu and Morgan643DS
usually companies turn off their wifi (Nintendo more than the rest) for older consoles. However, I don't think Nintendo will do it for this one as it's very enjoyable and a big resource for many

Reactions: Morgan643DS
Eventually, yes. Unless they become too greedy and want to force everyone to jump on the NX for multi, which I doubt.

Nintendo gave the DS/Wii wifi a very long run, well into the new generation. If that's anything to work with it bodes well.

On the topic at hand though, it's a huge gripe that we can't back-up the Wii U digital games right now.

Reactions: 25110 and Morgan643DS
Guys, for real? Nintendo has said countless times that the NX will NOT replace the wiiu or 3ds, so no, we will need a wii3 before that happens.

Reactions: TheSpiritedWarrior and Morgan643DS
My opinion. Looking at the games on Wii U, I feel like Nintendo probably won't turn off wifi, mostly because there are a few games on Wii U that does require you to play online (mainly Splatoon). As for Wii, most of the games I've played doesn't require wifi to play.

So many games have online on the wii u, so I doubt that nintendo would cut it off. That would be plain stupid. The wii and ds barely used the wi-fi function on their games so I do not blame nintendo for cutting off wi-fi on those consoles.

We barely know what the nx is, but I know for a fact that nintendo will release this console either in 2017 or 2018. The best prediction is the handheld in 2017 and home console in 2018.

No doubt that they will remove wifi ever on the wii u until after a long time, perhaps 15 years! Like I told everyone, better wait till E3 to hype about something we barely know about (Nx) but the online community is going crazy (sigh). If the nx does release this year, I am no longer a nintendo fan.

Reactions: Morgan643DS and Slayerpon Tatsu
Guys, for real? Nintendo has said countless times that the NX will NOT replace the wiiu or 3ds, so no, we will need a wii3 before that happens.
That does not matter. Companies can cut something off even though it does not replace it. For example, they stopped developing GameCube games soon after the Wii came out. While it still had backwards compatibility, they cut everything GameCube related. Nintendo doesn't need a replacement for them to cut online

I honestly think online play will remain at least 6 months after the release of the NX. It would be a shame for all the Wii U owners to be limited to single-player games so soon. It would be really unfair, because I don't think everyone would be able to afford the NX or not even want to buy it at all. Online play is the key feature of many games we play nowadays and of course the upcoming titles. >.<

I honestly think online play will remain at least 6 months after the release of the NX. It would be a shame for all the Wii U owners to be limited to single-player games so soon. It would be really unfair, because I don't think everyone would be able to afford the NX or not even want to buy it at all. Online play is the key feature of many games we play nowadays and of course the upcoming titles. >.<
Unless the NX of course has no online games at launch, like how Nintendo did with the Wii u then maybe even longer :p

Reactions: Morgan643DS and Mikaya
Certainly not 6 months, that is really low. I would say at least 3 years considering how many online games there are on the wii u. The reason why the wii and ds servers were shut down was basically because of how many people were actually playing online, which was a very small amount. So certainly, I can say at least 3 years.

My prediction right now is a handheld release and then the home console release the very next year.

That does not matter. Companies can cut something off even though it does not replace it. For example, they stopped developing GameCube games soon after the Wii came out. While it still had backwards compatibility, they cut everything GameCube related. Nintendo doesn't need a replacement for them to cut online
The wii was the replacement to the gamecube however, so no wonder they cut support for it, the NX is not compairable to the gamecube/wii.

How was the Wii a replacement for the GameCube? Wii only allowed games to be played on it while using their controllers that were later used ft other games.

How was the Wii a replacement for the GameCube? Wii only allowed games to be played on it while using their controllers that were later used ft other games.
How about this, the wii is the succesor to the gamecube, but the NX is not the succesor to the wiiu

I never heard of a company coming out with a new consol then stripping the old one of its capability. I don't think that they will strip the Wii u of its online play like most of you are saying. I'm just referring to the ps4 and PS3 here. The ps4 came out and nothing changed for the PS3. So I think we are good.

I never heard of a company coming out with a new consol then stripping the old one of its capability. I don't think that they will strip the Wii u of its online play like most of you are saying. I'm just referring to the ps4 and PS3 here. The ps4 came out and nothing changed for the PS3. So I think we are good.
If anything, I agree with this statement. They might just leave the wifi on the Wii u for a while as they know that smash and Splatoon have given them big hopes. Also, turning off wifi would render super Mario maker unplayable what so ever

It would make absolutely no sense if Nintendo did that lol. That would be a big ol' 'screw you' to all the Wii U players out there. Consequently, the 3ds's online would also go away, since both platforms are connected to Nintendo Network. This goes back to what Nintendo clearly stated in 2015: That the NX will not replace the 3ds and Wii U. We can well assume that wifi is included in this statement.

It would make absolutely no sense if Nintendo did that lol. That would be a big ol' 'screw you' to all the Wii U players out there. Consequently, the 3ds's online would also go away, since both platforms are connected to Nintendo Network. This goes back to what Nintendo clearly stated in 2015: That the NX will not replace the 3ds and Wii U. We can well assume that wifi is included in this statement.
If they did, RIP a major part of xenoblade chronicles x and splatoon

Probably not, because the 3DS and Wii U are very popular for their online multiplayer titles, so unless the NX can have a more enjoyable service that people will play more than that, then it might happen. But not immediately at the launch, at most we'll probably stop having Splatfests (Splatoon) or Event Courses (Mario Maker).

I believe that the online for Wii U (and the 3DS) will be staying for some many years after the NX would be released. There's still so may games that are using the online feature and it would be even too early to think about it now :p There would have to be another DS console by then.

Back