Will online go away on Wii U when NX is released?

• Thread starter Morgan643DS
  • Start date
I believe that the online for Wii U (and the 3DS) will be staying for some many years after the NX would be released. There's still so may games that are using the online feature and it would be even too early to think about it now :p There would have to be another DS console by then.
Agreed. Probably stay on for an extra 3 years then bye bye wifi

I believe that the online services for the WiiU will last at least another year or two before their discontinuation. It just seems unnecessary for Nintendo to continue to pay money to keep up servers that fewer and fewer people will be using as the WiiU's player base begins to dwindle.

The Wii U player base was already pretty small, so probably really soon, tbh

The Nintendo Switch has been out for almost two years now, and Splatoon has already seen it’s online compatibility disabled. So I wouldn’t be surprised if it goes away real soon.

In terms of business I wouldn't blame Nintendo, but...

3ds and Wii u servers are tied with the Nintendo Network, and running the servers aren't very expensive. I think it'll go out at the same time as the 3ds. Games like Mario Maker are completely dependent on online, so I think it'll be kept for at least 2 more years.

2021 and the wii u online is still active. Hopefully splatoon servers will still be active when splatoon 3 comes out or else I will cry. ;-; Wii u does have that advantage over switch for having free online unlike the switch.

If fans can make ways to play DS and Wii online it's possible but not guaranteed we'll see the same for Wii U and 3DS. They are still being supported now and if they weren't they'd get a lot of bad press from fans anyways not that they didn't before. Knowing Smogon shuns Gen 4-5 online play just goes to show it could get worse for us later and better for the rich who can pay for every console and release and DLC.

it seems more porabble for online accesability on wii u to be lost sometime before the system to proceed after the switch is almost here”announced soon”:
it could be also sometime in the middle of switch span like with wii shop.
it does not seem likely that will happen this year or next year but maybe in 2023.
it could happen before 3ds online is going offline however or maybe at the sametime.

It will probably be officially supported for another year or so. It doesn't cost nintendo much (I don't think), but I doubt many people really use it. After Nintendo shuts it off, there is still a good chance fans make their own servers like the Wii and partially the DS.

Back