Windows Versions

• Thread starter Catstew
  • Start date
Catstew

Catstew

Pedia Mastermind
Towns Folk
I shall be showing you all the Windows versions! :3
Not every single version is detailed here because there is a 10,000 word limit in posts. Sorry! :)
  • Windows 8, for home, business desktops, and portable computers, released on October 26, 2012.
    • Windows 8 – This edition, simply called "Windows 8", succeeds Windows 7 Home Premium
    • Windows 8 Pro – Windows 8 Pro succeeds Windows 7 Professional and Ultimate and is targeted towards enthusiasts and business users; it includes all the features of Windows 8. Additional features include operating as a Remote Desktop server, the ability to participate in a Windows Server domain, Encrypting File System, Hyper-V, and Virtual Hard Disk Booting, Group Policy as well as BitLocker and BitLocker To Go. Windows Media Center functionality will be available only for Windows 8 Pro, as a paid "Media Pack."
    • Windows 8 Enterprise – Windows 8 Enterprise provides all the features in Windows 8, Pro, with additional features to assist with IT organization. This edition will only be available to Software Assurance customers.
    • Windows RT – Windows RT is only available pre-installed on ARM-based devices such as tablet PCs. It includes touch-optimized desktop versions of the basic set of Office 2013applications to users—Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote, and support device encryption capabilities. Several business-focused features such as Group Policy and domain support are not included.
  • Windows 7, for home, business desktops, and portable computers
    • Windows 7 Starter A variant for developing countries and netbooks, in which the Aero theme is not included, nor 64-bit compatibility. This edition is to be available pre-installed on computers through system integrators or computer manufacturers.
    • Windows 7 Home Basic Windows 7 Home Basic is available in emerging markets such as Brazil, People's Republic of China, India, Mexico, Pakistan and Southeast Asia. It will not be available in countries such as Australia, Canada, France, Germany, The Netherlands, United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, New Zealand, the United States, or the United Kingdom. Some Aero options are excluded along with several new features.
    • Windows 7 Home Premium This edition contains features aimed at the home market segment, such as Windows Media Center, Windows Aero and touch-screen controls.
    • Windows 7 Professional This edition is targeted toward enthusiasts and small business users. It includes all the features of Windows 7 Home Premium, and adds the ability to participate in a Windows Server domain. Additional features include operating as a Remote Desktop server, location aware printing, Encrypting File System, Presentation Mode and Windows XP Mode.
    • Windows 7 Enterprise (Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7600) This edition targets the enterprise segment of the market and is sold through volume licensing to companies which have Software Assurance contract with Microsoft. Additional features include support for Multilingual User Interface (MUI) packages, BitLocker Drive Encryption, and UNIX application-support. Not available through retail or OEM channels, this edition is distributed through Microsoft Software Assurance (SA). As a result it includes several SA-only benefits, including a license allowing the running of multiple virtual machines, and activation via VLK.
    • Windows 7 Ultimate Windows 7 Ultimate contains the same features as Windows 7 Enterprise, but unlike that edition is available to home users on an individual license basis.
    • Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601.17514)
  • Windows Vista, for home and business desktops and portable computers
    • Windows Vista Starter Similar to Windows XP Starter Edition, this edition was limited to emerging markets such as Colombia, India, Thailand, and Indonesia, mainly to offer a legal alternative to using unauthorized copies. It was not to be available in the United States, Canada, Europe, or Australia.
    • Windows Vista Home Basic Similar to Windows XP Home Edition, Home Basic was intended for budget users not requiring advanced media support for home use. The Windows Aero theme with translucent effects was not be included with this edition.
    • Windows Vista Home Premium Like Windows XP Media Center Edition, this edition did support more advanced multimedia and entertainment authoring, premium games, mobile and tablet PC support, Network Projector, Windows Aero, Touch Screen, and auxiliary display (via Windows Side Show) support.
    • Windows Vista Business This edition was aimed at the business market. It includes advanced network and security features, whilst excluding entertainment features.
    • Windows Vista Enterprise (Microsoft Windows NT 6.0.6000.0) This edition was aimed at the enterprise segment of the market, and is a superset of the Business edition. Additional features include multilingual user interface support, BitLocker Drive Encryption, and UNIX application support. This edition was not be available through retail or OEM channels
    • Windows Vista Ultimate This edition combines all the features of the Home Premium and Enterprise editions, a game performance tweaker (WinSAT), and "Ultimate Extras".
  • Windows XP
  • Windows Me
  • Windows 2000
  • Windows 98
  • Windows 95
Everything was taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Microsoft_Windows_versions. :)
Anyways guys, Comment down below what you think is the best Windows OS!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Reece
Win95: :meh:
Win 98: :p
Win 2000: :meh:
Win Me: :wtf:
Win XP: :thumbsup:
Win Vista: :wtf:
Win 7: :woot:
Win 8: :vomit:

I am currently using a Windows 7 Home Premium, and its great I guess, I don't really know the difference. I had a vista previously but upgraded.I saw the windows 8 but didn't like it.

Windows_Boot_Screen_Collection.jpg

I am currently using a Windows 7 Home Premium, and its great I guess, I don't really know the difference. I had a vista previously but upgraded.I saw the windows 8 but didn't like it.

Windows_Boot_Screen_Collection.jpg

Windows Vista = Win 6
Windows 7 = Win 6.1

Win7= Win Vista remade

@Catstew If you're going to paste text from another website, use the quote BB code, ;)

On-topic: I personally enjoy using Windows 7 the most (never used Win8).

Windows 98 was the best. It could run DOS games :D

Reactions: D4rkDragon
Windows 98 was the best. It could run DOS games :D

You can run DOS games on WinXP and Win7

You can run DOS games on WinXP and Win7
Yes, but it's a hassle. DOSbox and all.

I have a Windows 7 Ultimate to be honest i hate Windows 8 and also my mom has Windows 98 it's okay all we need for it is a working keyboard

I have a Windows 7 Ultimate to be honest i hate Windows 8 and also my mom has Windows 98 it's okay all we need for it is a working keyboard

I hate the Windows 8 also,the design and everything about it.

I hate the Windows 8 also,the design and everything about it.

Win 8 = (Win7 + Android) * Fail

Reactions: Reece
Win 8 = (Win7 + Android) * Fail
Perfect formula to explain Windows 8

Wellll the Xbox One is Based off of Windows 8.

*cough*

*cough*
Yeah. Xbox One and PS4 are PC based, so they're modded PC.

*cough*

*cough*
I hate the Xbox One

*cough*

I hate the Xbox One

*cough*

Wii U is the only one with retro compatibility and free online

*cough*

Wii U is the only one with retro compatibility and free online

*cough*
Yup I would get bankrupt if I buy the Xbox One

*sneeze*

the best ones are XP and 7 :D Others (I'm talking to you Windows 8) kinda suck.

the best ones are XP and 7 :D Others (I'm talking to you Windows 8) kinda suck.

I have a notebook with Win 8, the only good thing about Win 8 is it's optimization (a lot faster with less resources)

I have a notebook with Win 8, the only good thing about Win 8 is it's optimization (a lot faster with less resources)
True, I like how you can search and optimize certain files, but still I like my Windows 7. :)

Back