Worst Character Addition

• Thread starter KoreanGuy
  • Start date
K

KoreanGuy

AC:NL - The Villager
Towns Folk
What do you think was the worst character to be added in Smash 4?

Bowser Jr. I see no point of him being in smash. I wanted him to be in Smash, but no like he's stuck in mario kart.

Bowser Jr. I see no point of him being in smash. I wanted him to be in Smash, but no like he's stuck in mario kart.

If you wanted him in Smash, why do you consider him to be the worst addition?

If you wanted him in Smash, why do you consider him to be the worst addition?
I wanted to see the Bowser Jr. I seen in Super Mario Sunshine. But no, I got Mario Kart in smash. Its a waste of a good character. I would rather not see him in the game than see him like this.

Dr. Mario. He was an improved version of Mario in Melee, but now his existence is obsolete now that Mario performs moves faster along with an astronomically better recovery than the Doctor.

Villager. His priority is to camp you out and just overall be annoying to deal with and he also has the tools to live to a decent percent. Pac-Man used to be on this list but I have grown fond of him after seeing some cool Pac-Man play.

Duck hunt dog. Like why? I mean no one is gonna go but the original duck hunt game since duck hunt dog is in smash. Plus most people didn't even know about him or heard of him until smash. I honestly don't know why they added him. Not only that but not money people play him. His reason in being in smash is non-existent. He's just there. What for? We don't know. I don't think there is a reason I think he'e useless to be honest. So yeah as you can tell I think Duck Hunt Dog was the worst edition to smash.

Honestly, Jigglypuff. I get that she's apart of the original 8 but man if she isn't annoying. Most Puff players just spam her f-air and b-air then fail at hitting rests. :/

Character wise, she isn't that popular in Pokemon. There's way better choices for Pokemon than her, honestly.

Rosalina is the least deserving of the title as well as maybe Lucina because Robin represents from Awakening and Lucina is just a nontipper same speed as Roy swordfighter. Dark Pit doesn't make any sense either but Sakurai made Uprising and he's the only new addition to the series so just add Dark Pit as filler I suppose but he's a solid competitive character used by Nairo.

Duck hunt dog. Like why? I mean no one is gonna go but the original duck hunt game since duck hunt dog is in smash. Plus most people didn't even know about him or heard of him until smash.
But that's wrong. The dog was one of the most-requested characters. I always thought it was dumb because I know most of the people clamoring for him just thought the "WHY CAN'T I SHOOT THE DOG" jokes were funny and not many of them played Duck Hunt at all.

But still, he was a very requested character.

Honestly, Jigglypuff.
Agreed. Jiggs is purely a relic from the old days and exists only because she's one of the original 12.
That said, I wouldn't want her gone. I am, in all cases, strictly opposed to removing movesets from the game.

Rosalina is the least deserving of the title
I'm legitimately curious why you think this. I'm interested in your opinion on the matter. Rosalina's been a character for almost a decade now. She's not some new character getting pushed, after all.

Yes and no. As a character she's Easy Marth (and now Bad Roy) but you've got to consider fan interest. Didn't seem to work the way Sakurai intended, but Lucina is one of the darling of both Japan and the west. Can't underestimate waifus.

And here we go. This is what I came to the thread to say. Dark Pit's presence in the game is unquestionably Sakurai's bias showing, and he couldn't even adequately defend it. Dark Pit brings nothing to the roster: not a worthwhile moveset, not even new costumes (Pit even has a black color), and especially not something most fans even wanted. His response to the backlash was, if anyone remembers, comparing the Smash roster to meals at a restaurant and suggesting that any character, even clones, are just extra food and shouldn't be complained about.

I'd have respected his decision more if he just said, "Yeah Pittoo's in because I made Uprising, deal with it."

And here we go. This is what I came to the thread to say. Dark Pit's presence in the game is unquestionably Sakurai's bias showing, and he couldn't even adequately defend it. Dark Pit brings nothing to the roster: not a worthwhile moveset, not even new costumes (Pit even has a black color), and especially not something most fans even wanted. His response to the backlash was, if anyone remembers, comparing the Smash roster to meals at a restaurant and suggesting that any character, even clones, are just extra food and shouldn't be complained about.

I'd have respected his decision more if he just said, "Yeah Pittoo's in because I made Uprising, deal with it."

Well, not to get all defensive about Dark Pit, but he did play a big role in KI:U and I think even his character in that game pretty much makes him out to be a clone. Not to mention that it's not like he's the first time we've had clones.

Let alone, the lack of Kid Icarus reps was pretty low considering Kid Icarus itself was made by the same guy that developed Smash. Guess at that point (since Dark Pit was a last minute idea) Sakurai wanted another KI:U rep, and since Magnus was already confirmed an assist trophy, next in line is Dark Pit as far as priority goes.

I don't see what the big deal about Dark Pit is. Like any other clone. Maybe sometime if there's a Smash 5, Dark Pit will actually have some more differences.

Reactions: Sephiran
Dark Pit had to be a clone honestly.... I mean you know the only difference between the two in KI:U was that Dark Pit could fly as long as he wanted without help. Also as for Lucina she was planned as a Palette swap for Marth but they decided to make here her nown character and Jigglypuff IDK who you guys know but lot's of people us Jigglypuff people who use rest and miss probably are'nt using Jigglypuff for their main. And Duck Hunt bis still dumb. Barely anyone plays him and half the people who play smash hadn't even heard of him until Smash4 came out.

Reactions: DrakeJericho
I'm legitimately curious why you think this. I'm interested in your opinion on the matter. Rosalina's been a character for almost a decade now. She's not some new character getting pushed, after all.
She hasn't had any main roles until recent games (in terms of playable characters). But put her up against Bowser Jr. (which I should call a Sunshine rep) and I think we shouldn't need more Mario universe characters. I think this was done for female representation and she is a great fighter and she actually has a story when other Mario characters don't and the Galaxy series reinvented platforming so she just seems out of place.

Reactions: Sephiran
Well, not to get all defensive about Dark Pit, but he did play a big role in KI:U and I think even his character in that game pretty much makes him out to be a clone. Not to mention that it's not like he's the first time we've had clones.
<snip>
I don't see what the big deal about Dark Pit is. Like any other clone.
By all means, we should be able to speak passionately about our positions. Being a plot-based clone doesn't particularly matter, I don't think. The biggest problem with Dark Pit is he's the absolute perfect storm of bad: he comes from a series more insignificant than Donkey Kong and Metroid, he's a clone, and he's a testament to Sakurai's gargantuan bias. If Sakurai had no connection to KI, Pittoo would be on the level of Lucina and Doc - dumb like all of the lazy clones but not particularly offensive.
The only clones that I don't think are dumb are the ones that, though similar in terms of moveset, force a totally different playstyle: Ganondorf and Roy, for instance.

Let alone, the lack of Kid Icarus reps was pretty low
Pit was enough representation for a dead twenty-some-year-old series with two pretty mediocre games back in Brawl, and KI:U pretty much entitled Palutena to a slot. Horrifically underrepresented series like DK and Metroid should get priority. Maybe if Sakurai ever works on one of those.

And Duck Hunt bis still dumb. Barely anyone plays him and half the people who play smash hadn't even heard of him until Smash4 came out.
Like I said, literally one of the most requested characters by fans. That source goes back to 2012. I'm not entirely sure how somebody could say that nobody ever talked about or knew about the dog.
Duck Hunt is no more offensive than any other crazy out-of-nowhere characters like G&W. He's to Smash 4 what G&W was to Melee: "Whoa, cool, what the heck is this thing doing here?"

She hasn't had any main roles until recent games (in terms of playable characters).
Yeah, but it's not like that matters too much. There are plenty of characters in the Smash roster who weren't actually playable (or, if they were, only playable in exceedingly limited capacity). Rosalina, though unplayable, was practically Galaxy's secondary protagonist. She's been important since her inception.

Also, since I've responded to the other characters dropped in the thread: Bowser Jr., though I hate him, is pretty much the perfect addition if only because he got to bring all the Koopalings with them. If you bring one Koopaling you've got to bring them all (and if you bring them all they have a tendency to flood the roster, like in MK8), so attaching them all to Bowser Jr. was a clever and intelligent decision.

By all means, we should be able to speak passionately about our positions. Being a plot-based clone doesn't particularly matter, I don't think. The biggest problem with Dark Pit is he's the absolute perfect storm of bad: he comes from a series more insignificant than Donkey Kong and Metroid, he's a clone, and he's a testament to Sakurai's gargantuan bias. If Sakurai had no connection to KI, Pittoo would be on the level of Lucina and Doc - dumb like all of the lazy clones but not particularly offensive.
The only clones that I don't think are dumb are the ones that, though similar in terms of moveset, force a totally different playstyle: Ganondorf and Roy, for instance.

Yeah, but it's not like that matters too much. There are plenty of characters in the Smash roster who weren't actually playable (or, if they were, only playable in exceedingly limited capacity). Rosalina, though unplayable, was practically Galaxy's secondary protagonist. She's been important since her inception.
The thing is... you know why people were so surprised with Rosalina in the game? No one wanted or expected her in and people would guess why she was in and Nintendo probably just wanted to shoehorn her in. Rosalina has a blank personality like most of the Mario crew and like you said I think the DK/DKC and Metroid series are under-represented. But KID Icarus gets props for being an old series revived because of Brawl and more popularity of the series to younger gamers (and also help sell VC) so it was clever to at least put Palutena in the game.

The thing is... you know why people were so surprised with Rosalina in the game? No one wanted or expected her in and people would guess why she was in and Nintendo probably just wanted to shoehorn her in.
Wait a sec - are there really people who weren't totally certain Rosalina would be in? She's been around for a massive percentage of Mario's lifespan and finds her way into pretty much every game. I've never understood people calling her "Nintendo's Lightning" - she's been a part of Mario history for almost ten years now.
Also, something people need to keep in mind is that the Mario series tries to push a newcomer every generation. First it was Yoshi, then it was Wario, then it was Bowser Jr. and Petey, then it was Rosalina, and then it was Nabbit. This is nothing new.

Rosalina has a blank personality like most of the Mario crew
I wouldn't call her blank. One-dimensional like the rest of the cast, maybe, but it's not like personality has ever been the point of Mario.
Mario seems to have kind of an ego but other than that he's just a jolly hero guy, Luigi's a coward but can be brave when push comes to shove, Bowser is usually dumb muscle, Yoshi is fanatically devoted, Rosie's smart and kind of lonely.

But KID Icarus gets props for being an old series revived because of Brawl and more popularity of the series to younger gamers (and also help sell VC) so it was clever to at least put Palutena in the game.
Oh, totally, I'd never contest Palutena. KI:U's release and success entitled Palutena to that slot, and even if I didn't like the character herself I could appreciate her moveset and unique playstyle that she brings to Smash anyway.

Don't set me on fire, but...for me it has to be Snake.

He's so unfitting in the smash universe. Realistic human proportions, explosives, guns, it's all out of place in what's supposed to be a smash-fest with out-of-whack weapons and proportions, but not realistic human combat and guns. There's so much I can go on but...I'll end it there.

Don't set me on fire, but...for me it has to be Snake.

He's so unfitting in the smash universe. Realistic human proportions, explosives, guns, it's all out of place in what's supposed to be a smash-fest with out-of-whack weapons and proportions, but not realistic human combat and guns. There's so much I can go on but...I'll end it there.

Captain Falcon, Link, and Zero Suit Samus don't have realistic proportions?
The fact that Snake used realistic weapons can be seen as something out of whack in the Smash Bros Universe.
The only things that I see as a character being unfit for Smash is when the character hasn't had a game on a Nintendo console and if the character isn't even a video game character.

I kinda see where Kotastic is coming from. Snake is coming from a series where the gameplay is... I guess you can say surreal. Snake is good and all but is the last person I'd expect to be put in a Smash Bros game.

Although main Lucina, I think she is a pretty bad addition. She is easier but I really REALLY wish she had a new move set that made her an original character. Same thing with DPitt. Although I can understand the reason why they are clones, they seem almost like a pointless addition. :(

Although I do like Pitt more now (and getting to like Marth) a lot more, playing Lucina and DPitt did help me get there so I guess I can't call them pointless. Those respective characters are also what got me into Buying FE:A and KI:U so although they were useless additions in smash, they were great additions to my life <3

I never even touched snake so I have no idea how he plays. I want to say he was a weird addition but due to lack of experience, I have no right to say anything. He would be my choice in brawl.

If Melee counts, I think the stupidest choice was Pichu... literally no point except he/she was a little cute ball of yellow. Other than that, I'll stick with my personal cute ball of yellow.

http://cdn.gagbay.com/2013/05/ultra_cute_pikachu-287353.jpg

Back