• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date

Would you buy a Nintendo smartphone?

• Total voters
Marc

Marc

"Marc's the sugar daddy of gaming" - Artisan 2020
Forum Management
The trademarks that Nintendo registered gave me an idea (I highly doubt it would happen btw, and I don't know if Nintendo gave any word on this).. Anyway, would you buy a smartphone by Nintendo?

I did a quick Google search and found some pics of what it could look like :

Front :

image.png

Back :

nintendo_back.jpg

Reactions: Jeff The Killer
Yes, but only if they gave you a shred of freedom on Miiverse. Wayyyyy to strict, especially if I had a smartphone and used it often.

Reactions: Augamemerald
Probably not. I've found that generally, Nintendo themselves are extremely child-friendly, which begs the question of how this would work for say, more "professional" individuals. I assume it would feature a Nintendo-based app store, but I've never heard much regarding Nintendo and indie developers. I know the big smartphone companies (Apple, Android and Windows) all have extensive third-party apps and games by indie groups, but I've never heard of Nintendo doing much with indie devs, unlike Sony and Microsoft.

The concept images above also give a certain air of being geared more towards younger people. Large icons, bright colours, simple buttons etc.

Plus, I already have a phone, and a 3DS. I don't see any use in combining them but removing a good portion of the console functionality.

Probably not. I've found that generally, Nintendo themselves are extremely child-friendly, which begs the question of how this would work for say, more "professional" individuals. I assume it would feature a Nintendo-based app store, but I've never heard much regarding Nintendo and indie developers. I know the big smartphone companies (Apple, Android and Windows) all have extensive third-party apps and games by indie groups, but I've never heard of Nintendo doing much with indie devs, unlike Sony and Microsoft.

The concept images above also give a certain air of being geared more towards younger people. Large icons, bright colours, simple buttons etc.

Have you seen the eShop? It's full of indies. Nintendo has been getting way more indie support than the competition as of late.

Have you seen the eShop? It's full of indies. Nintendo has been getting way more indie support than the competition as of late.
I haven't. Though I haven't checked the eShop in... when did the Fire Emblem DLC come out? Because that was the last time I looked at the shop. XD

I voted no. I don't think the idea is stupid though - I just don't see myself using it much.

Nintendo has improved immensely with indie devs btw - definitely better than Microsoft at least from what I've heard and read.

Reactions: Augamemerald and BjFauble
I don't have any cell-phone, so it would ba a good oppurtunity to have one. I never tough of this, and I find it would be cool! :) But it would'nt be a commercial success... I really don't know who (except people like me) would like having a phone "Nintendo"... Everybody has Iphones and Samsung Galaxy... :p

Ohh, that video! :love:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Augamemerald
I voted "YES", even though I'm a bit offensive with this smartphone idea, when I over-think it, doesn't seem like a bad idea after all.

I can't possibly play games on a smart-phone (not sure why) but I'm interested to see how this will all work out, especially with the gaming consoles, how they will interact with each other (assuming there is that feature).

I'm not too sure. Although I could see Nintendo going in this direction, I don't think it's a good step for them to take. If they do take it, and the smart phone looks interesting and usable, then I might think about it. But until then, I'm not really going to think about it.

Hmph...... Both - I would like a Nintendo smartphone but with the freedom of a, let's say, Samsung smartphone. I would love to see the 3D and Nintendo integration into a smartphone but I wouldn't like to sell out my 'freedom'. If someone made a homebrew OS for smartphones I'd probably use it :p (I do not encourage any illegal cyber activity in any way)

I would, if it's not expensive, and we have longer battery than most of the smartphones (the battery on them is bad). Also, I hope it won't be like the Firefox OS, in the sense where we could get a release date in France if this rumour is true.

Finally, I hope that just like any Android smartphone, it will be developer-friendly, as it would be profitable for Nintendo.

sounds pretty interesting actually. Nintendo in a phone? it could work if done properly. I would buy it, personally. xD

I would say Nintendo smart phone if it wasn't completely restricted to Nintendo like things. if I was going to be carrying around with me all day I think I need a little bit more then miiverse to contact everyone that I needed to. I think it would be cool aslong as it was like a normal smart phone but with a little bit more Nintendo specific things on it.

hmmm I'd really say no to this since I'm not really sure how a smartphone would really turn out to be and I personally think that it will turn out bad ... It just doesn't seem to be fitting right . but I guess that it'll be ok as long as there are abundance of features and stuff

I probably would. I mean if it has a phone, text message etc.. then its good. Also the games on the smartphone will probably be good since its Nintendo games. The only thing im worried about is if they put some dumb restrictions on the phone. Also if they were to make a phone it would probably have some kind of button attachments.

I'd probably get one, I had a few ideas about something like this earlier, never posted about it so I could share here. Anyhow I was thinking that it could have its own app market and if it did then instead of regular app store/play store games it would have virtual consoles of Nintendo games from NES, SNES, N64, GBC, and GBA. Also to pay for these you could use eshop credit like you would on 3DS and Wii U. Plus direct Miiverse access would be nice. Also if someone sent you a friend request on your Wii U you could accept it from your phone, which would be pretty neat. I'd invest in one just to try it out.

I'd get one because I just love collecting Nintendo items, for plush to systems. And too who wouldn't want a phone by Nintendo?

I'd trade my in any day for it, well you know if Nintendo had one. Not to mention kids could have one and it probably would be much cheaper than the phones nowadays.

I'd have to see the price tag, and if it wasn't too bad, YES!!!!!

Nah, not really.

Nintendo are quite "closed" and "restrictive" so if I'm going to buy a Smartphone, I'm not sure I'd do towards them. I say that but it depends on what they would have to offer as well. Apple are closed and restrictive but they have so much to offer that you can sort of forgive them. If Nintendo can pull this out, it could work, but with all of their child restrictions... I don't know...

I'd consider this. This would also be good if it also had a lot of companion apps for the 3DS, like whenever a picture is taken, it also sent on the smartphone or 3DS if they're both connected to the internet. But, it's preferrable if the companionship apps aren't 100% necessary, since it would feel like buying 1 1/2 or 2 systems.

Still, it's an interesting idea.

Back