Would you rather get backwards compatibility or get remakes with new features?

• Thread starter SVF Ramen
  • Start date
If it was in the last generation, backwards compatibility. If it was further back, remakes because games can get REALLY expensive if they were popular enough to warrant a remake.

This is exactly what needs to happen. Backwards compatibility with Wii U games would definitely help the NX in the first year or two. It would probably get some good sales for the Wii U's library of games (basically game sales). I'd love to play all my games on the NX if they can do it.

I would rather have backwards compatibility because with remakes there are games that are bound to be left in the dust, so I'd rather the NX have backwards compatibility with the Wii U.

Personally, I'd much rather have backwards compatibility. Why, you ask? Well, let's break this down.

Firstly, you must know that I ain't gonna buy the same game twice just because it has more and/or different features! Glares at everyone who bought both the Wii U and the 3DS version of Super Smash Brothers.

Oh, and also, you better believe that I'm gonna be so sad if one of my games gets a remake and only the remake gets to play online. I'd like a second Splatoon, though. That would be cool, if executed correctly. For example, they could add both inklings and octolings, but personally, I'd probably still play as an inkling, unless you could have both for special occasions, like "Inkling Only" games and "Octoling Only" games. They could also add some cool new game modes, and of course, more colors of paint, like red, black, gray, white or brown.

Okay, maybe not brown...

That's just my two cents, though. What are everyone else's thoughts on this?

Well they are remaking crash games for ps4, so they might make few remakes for that, but that might be only for people that don't have the older ones, and want play one new one, and I have feeling they will have ton new games, Because they won't make new systum just for that.

I think that NX will have different architecture to the Wii U, in which case it would be a lot harder (perhaps impossible, but I'm not sure) to implement backwards compatibility, in which case I am absolutely fine with remakes.

It also helps to have remakes when there are a lot of games that are now either not in production (maybe early Wii U games) or would be going for higher prices (a lot of the current top Wii U games) when the next console is out, which makes it harder to gain access to the games.

Add in some new features and updated graphics and I don't mind paying a premium price for the title.

I've mostly reconsidered my stance on backwards compatibility. They shouldn't go for it.

It's time to make a clean break from past consoles, as it will only drag the next one down. If the NX will indeed be a hybrid, then they can start adding past games through Virtual Console emulation using a more powerful console. That, or making enhanced remakes, perhaps HD compilations of classic games.

I think that making remakes of games would be wonderful, since the NX is said to be a lot better than the Wii U.

They could make games look and play smoother, while enhancing the gameplay. It sounds like a win-win situation to me.

I think that making remakes of games would be wonderful, since the NX is said to be a lot better than the Wii U.

They could make games look and play smoother, while enhancing the gameplay. It sounds like a win-win situation to me.
Yeah, true, but I hope they don't make the remakes too expensive if they do so >~<

Kinda a mixture of the two. I worked hard to get certain games in my library so I won't drop everything for a remake. But it's sometimes cheaper to get an old game with a new skin if the original is beyond my spending powers.

Why not both? Wii U has backwards compatibility if you use a Wii controller,and it still makes its own games. Same with the 3DS. They have it and still make their own stuff. NX Console could be like that. Except I doubt it will. See, there was never an NX console before. So there was never any NX games before, so that means there most likely WON'T be backwards compatibility for it.

I would rather get remakes like backwards comp. is cool and all but i think it could hurt the systems general power and price so i would rather get a more powerful console with great remakes that fix some of the past flaws of a game rather a backwards compatible console.

I would rather get remakes like backwards comp. is cool and all but i think it could hurt the systems general power and price so i would rather get a more powerful console with great remakes that fix some of the past flaws of a game rather a backwards compatible console.
Then again, what would it have backwards compatibility OF?! The Nintendo NX might be an original console. Which means no backwards compatibility until another version of that console comes out.

Personally I would like both. If the NX will be backwards compatible with the Wii U, they only need to focus on Wii and Gamecube titles for easy remakes, which is a good thing in my book.

Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 without Motion Controls is something I would love to see.

Since the Switch is not backwards compatible with the WiiU for quite a few reasons, I have actually taken quite a liking to the remakes that Nintendo has been releasing for it. Mario Kart 8 DX added a new battle mode, additional characters, and free DLC. Additionally, I read in a recent interview with Reggie that one of the next games to be ported would be Smash 4, and that it would include additional fighters as well.

Back