Can you watch anime in peace?

• Thread starter ErixSan
  • Start date
ErixSan

ErixSan

Somehow still top 3 poster after 3 years.
Towns Folk
Well, this is a stupid question, but in my case, I can't.

The only way for watch anime is on secret, because here, anime is a "bad thing" unless classic anime, like Sakura Card Captor, Heidi, Inusaya, eh... well, I think you get it.

What about in your case?

I'm not understanding what you mean, but I guess I can watch anime in peace. LOL. :)

I must be the only one confused. I apologize. :)

I'm not understanding what you mean, but I guess I can watch anime in peace. LOL. :)

I must be the only one confused. I apologize. :)

Well... Easy example: My mother see me watching anime...One week without PC.

With that said, I can watch anime peacefully.

Don't you worry about a thing, 'cause every little thing is gonna be alright

Oh my God. I can't believe someone else suffers as much as I do.

Let's see. No, I can't watch anime in peace. Never was able to, and probably never will be. Let me tell you my long, sad story with anime.

One thing I always note about my childhood is that if anything, a video game or an anime, had a character with spiky hair, I wanted to play it or watch it. Of course, basically ALL animes (except the ones with poor art styles IMO) have characters with spiky hair, so here my story begins. I was a little kid. My cousins came over to visit and stayed for like, a goddamn month. I was randomly going through 'cartoon' channels when I found this anime channel that was dubbed in Arabic. None of us understood Arabic, but anyway, it had spiky-haired males and females with unnaturally red/blue/green hair. I wanted to watch it. I stuck to it. But my cousins and one sibling, extra-spoiled noisy brats, slammed themselves and started yelling that they couldn't understand it and the characters were weird and they wanted to watch 'normal' cartoons. Cartoon Network and that rubbish. My parents, because they were trying to be good to another person's children or because I was outvoted massively, said to watch the normal cartoons. Honestly, there are very few memories that make me sadder than that. When I think of the animes there I wanted to watch as a kid, I still want to watch them, but even after searching sometimes extensively for years-like, I can't find them. I think I found one of them but apart from a few pictures, there wasn't anything uploaded of it on the internet. No episodes or anything. There are still some moments from those animes that I remember so clearly. I wish there was some way to project an image from the mind to a computer - that would really help me with my search.

I might seem weird by being this desperate to watch those three (or maybe two?) animes so much even though I didn't even follow their story as a kid, but I expect only someone who has had a similar cruelty done to them would want closure so much. Thank God I don't have to speak to my cousins due to some real-life stuff that happened a long time back that resulted in, how do I put this, 'enmity between the grown-ups' as I thought of it back then. I still haven't forgiven them, even if they were immature little kids back then who just had their way too much.

In between, I think the most anime I ever watched was a quarter of an episode of Pokemon once. I had a luckier school friend though who was so damn lucky he could actually watch anime with his family, and for a few episodes I asked him to tell me the story. I also got into the Pokemon trading card games and collected a lot of them. There was a real craze of Pokemon cards among kids in my school and basically the whole country at that time (Digimon cards were also a modest success) and I'd blow all the little money I had on Pokemon cards. My collection was getting bigger and bigger when one day a teacher at school reached into my bag, confiscated them, and threw them all away. I got incredibly depressed over this too, but I had some really nice friends who gave away enough of their cards to me for me to have a reasonable number of cards until the novelty wore off. Those were fun times to be honest. It's not like my life has ever been happy but those were the better times.

So, I gradually fell out of it. I still loved anime with all my heart, but for a long time I didn't watch any of it because who'd let me? I remember planning my time so that I'd be able to watch Dragon Ball Z, but I didn't manage to watch even two full episodes. But anyway, I think sometime in 2008, I was searching for a PS2 game called Vampire Night and quite by accident, found an anime called Vampire Knight. I only watched the first few seconds of some random episode before I quit because I'd never be able to watch it. But I always remembered the name, for some reason.

So, years fraught with depression passed. I got a 3DS in 2011. A-ha! The internet browser was perfect for reading manga. I thought so anyway - needs must when the devil drives - the screen was really small and I missed some text but I managed to read five chapters of Yu-Gi-Oh! Then Vampire Knight, which had always been at the front of my anime mind, I remembered, and I read five chapters of that too, but the mobile site which I read manga on started to put huge ads which made the manga pages really small so I gave up and started watching the anime. I watched two episodes with a lot of difficulty (on so low a volume that I could barely hear anything, but neither could my mother. And I never dared watch anime with my siblings in the room). On the third episode, I got repeatedly stuck at the same point. And I did for two years. One of my siblings would always be around and I didn't want them to laugh at me and ruin everything for me because, well, they're really wanna-be-cools; they listen to awful Hindi-pop and Chris Brown and all these new jerks just because they're 'new' and 'in' whereas the rock I listen to but they never let me listen to it in peace is mostly from the 1970s and 1980s and 'noisy' and 'old', and they don't watch any film made before 2005 because they want to watch the 'latest' and be so cool and all that rubbish.

So for another two years, I was not able to watch any anime, apart from one episode of the Valkyria Chronicles anime because I love the video games, but I had to drop it because I couldn't find any good site for watching it on, and the DemiKids anime, because I love the video games but I could only watch half an episode in peace and when I found out that only the first episode was subbed and the rest were never translated I guess I had no choice. Really sad, though - I love DemiKids. Also, on a new anime channel that I have never been able to watch for more than three minutes, I watched a bit of Shakugan no Shana II, and I liked it so I added the Shakugan no Shana series to my list of anime to watch if I ever got the chance. I downloaded the Black Rock Shooter OVA and the Last Order: Final Fantasy VII OVA to my PSP and watched them in secrecy - they are the only anime-related things I have ever finished because they are only 50 minutes and 20 minutes long, respectively.

But anyway, this year all my siblings except for me went to live in hostels and go to higher colleges/universties whereas I'm in college yet, so for most of the day it's just me and my mother at home. Things have improved for me a lot, anime-related. Now I can watch about one episode every two days or even if I'm lucky a whole episode per day - I've watched seven episodes of Vampire Knight now, the farthest I've got into any anime, and I intend to finish it and watch all of Shakugan no Shana. Except for weekends when they come back and I dare not watch any anime. I don't really wish to be seen by anyone, really, watching anime. I wouldn't mind telling my mother about the animes I watch - even though Vampire Knight is a highly romantic anime and I would just leave it at telling her about the general idea :p - but I don't, because why take a chance when my siblings can poke their noses in through that?

Still, it's much better for me anime-related than it had ever been before. I usually watch anime now instead of gaming (except for American McGee's Alice and Ocarina of Time 3D which I still play regularly) because I don't have time for both gaming and watching anime. I know you guys might curse me for such a long post - whew! - but I feel much better now.

TL;DR - No, I've never been able to watch anime in peace, but conditions are much better for me now than it ever was before. And yes, I'm a guy and I watch Vampire Knight and it's my favourite anime. Even though it's targeted for a female audience for the most part. I... :p

Reactions: 2179, 3dsatackman, Isabella and 2 others
Oh my God. I can't believe someone else suffers as much as I do.

Let's see. No, I can't watch anime in peace. Never was able to, and probably never will be. Let me tell you my long, sad story with anime.

One thing I always note about my childhood is that if anything, a video game or an anime, had a character with spiky hair, I wanted to play it or watch it. Of course, basically ALL animes (except the ones with poor art styles IMO) have characters with spiky hair, so here my story begins. I was a little kid. My cousins came over to visit and stayed for like, a goddamn month. I was randomly going through 'cartoon' channels when I found this anime channel that was dubbed in Arabic. None of us understood Arabic, but anyway, it had spiky-haired males and females with unnaturally red/blue/green hair. I wanted to watch it. I stuck to it. But my cousins and one sibling, extra-spoiled noisy brats, slammed themselves and started yelling that they couldn't understand it and the characters were weird and they wanted to watch 'normal' cartoons. Cartoon Network and that rubbish. My parents, because they were trying to be good to another person's children or because I was outvoted massively, said to watch the normal cartoons. Honestly, there are very few memories that make me sadder than that. When I think of the animes there I wanted to watch as a kid, I still want to watch them, but even after searching sometimes extensively for years-like, I can't find them. I think I found one of them but apart from a few pictures, there wasn't anything uploaded of it on the internet. No episodes or anything. There are still some moments from those animes that I remember so clearly. I wish there was some way to project an image from the mind to a computer - that would really help me with my search.

I might seem weird by being this desperate to watch those three (or maybe two?) animes so much even though I didn't even follow their story as a kid, but I expect only someone who has had a similar cruelty done to them would want closure so much. Thank God I don't have to speak to my cousins due to some real-life stuff that happened a long time back that resulted in, how do I put this, 'enmity between the grown-ups' as I thought of it back then. I still haven't forgiven them, even if they were immature little kids back then who just had their way too much.

In between, I think the most anime I ever watched was a quarter of an episode of Pokemon once. I had a luckier school friend though who was so damn lucky he could actually watch anime with his family, and for a few episodes I asked him to tell me the story. I also got into the Pokemon trading card games and collected a lot of them. There was a real craze of Pokemon cards among kids in my school and basically the whole country at that time (Digimon cards were also a modest success) and I'd blow all the little money I had on Pokemon cards. My collection was getting bigger and bigger when one day a teacher at school reached into my bag, confiscated them, and threw them all away. I got incredibly depressed over this too, but I had some really nice friends who gave away enough of their cards to me for me to have a reasonable number of cards until the novelty wore off. Those were fun times to be honest. It's not like my life has ever been happy but those were the better times.

So, I gradually fell out of it. I still loved anime with all my heart, but for a long time I didn't watch any of it because who'd let me? I remember planning my time so that I'd be able to watch Dragon Ball Z, but I didn't manage to watch even two full episodes. But anyway, I think sometime in 2008, I was searching for a PS2 game called Vampire Night and quite by accident, found an anime called Vampire Knight. I only watched the first few seconds of some random episode before I quit because I'd never be able to watch it. But I always remembered the name, for some reason.

So, years fraught with depression passed. I got a 3DS in 2011. A-ha! The internet browser was perfect for reading manga. I thought so anyway - needs must when the devil drives - the screen was really small and I missed some text but I managed to read five chapters of Yu-Gi-Oh! Then Vampire Knight, which had always been at the front of my anime mind, I remembered, and I read five chapters of that too, but the mobile site which I read manga on started to put huge ads which made the manga pages really small so I gave up and started watching the anime. I watched two episodes with a lot of difficulty (on so low a volume that I could barely hear anything, but neither could my mother. And I never dared watch anime with my siblings in the room). On the third episode, I got repeatedly stuck at the same point. And I did for two years. One of my siblings would always be around and I didn't want them to laugh at me and ruin everything for me because, well, they're really wanna-be-cools; they listen to awful Hindi-pop and Chris Brown and all these new jerks just because they're 'new' and 'in' whereas the rock I listen to but they never let me listen to it in peace is mostly from the 1970s and 1980s and 'noisy' and 'old', and they don't watch any film made before 2005 because they want to watch the 'latest' and be so cool and all that rubbish.

So for another two years, I was not able to watch any anime, apart from one episode of the Valkyria Chronicles anime because I love the video games, but I had to drop it because I couldn't find any good site for watching it on, and the DemiKids anime, because I love the video games but I could only watch half an episode in peace and when I found out that only the first episode was subbed and the rest were never translated I guess I had no choice. Really sad, though - I love DemiKids. Also, on a new anime channel that I have never been able to watch for more than three minutes, I watched a bit of Shakugan no Shana II, and I liked it so I added the Shakugan no Shana series to my list of anime to watch if I ever got the chance. I downloaded the Black Rock Shooter OVA and the Last Order: Final Fantasy VII OVA to my PSP and watched them in secrecy - they are the only anime-related things I have ever finished because they are only 50 minutes and 20 minutes long, respectively.

But anyway, this year all my siblings except for me went to live in hostels and go to higher colleges/universties whereas I'm in college yet, so for most of the day it's just me and my mother at home. Things have improved for me a lot, anime-related. Now I can watch about one episode every two days or even if I'm lucky a whole episode per day - I've watched seven episodes of Vampire Knight now, the farthest I've got into any anime, and I intend to finish it and watch all of Shakugan no Shana. Except for weekends when they come back and I dare not watch any anime. I don't really wish to be seen by anyone, really, watching anime. I wouldn't mind telling my mother about the animes I watch - even though Vampire Knight is a highly romantic anime and I would just leave it at telling her about the general idea :p - but I don't, because why take a chance when my siblings can poke their noses in through that?

Still, it's much better for me anime-related than it had ever been before. I usually watch anime now instead of gaming (except for American McGee's Alice and Ocarina of Time 3D which I still play regularly) because I don't have time for both gaming and watching anime. I know you guys might curse me for such a long post - whew! - but I feel much better now.

TL;DR - No, I've never been able to watch anime in peace, but conditions are much better for me now than it ever was before. And yes, I'm a guy and I watch Vampire Knight and it's my favourite anime. Even though it's targeted for a female audience for the most part. I... :p

You are trying my lecture skills? :p

Well, if you still with you PSP, you can install (It's easy and takes 2 minutes) a CFW, so you can watch manga and anime on the console.

It's really easy and the screen is good enough for reading. I watched a lot of manga and anime on the PSP.
Also, some home-brew can be played on original firmwares, so you can watch manga and anime with the original firmware.

I can watch anime in peace, I don't get bothered by my parents or anything. ~

I mean really, my mother was actually a bit concerned with anime, but I just explained to her that they're cartoons and they aren't anything worse than Family Guy or The Simpsons, which was enough for her, since she knows me inside and out.

Anime can be really suggestive and very crude, some animes I just stay away from, but there's overall very decent shows that keep me entertained for entire marathons. So yeah, I can watch anime peacefully, with my headphones, in my free time. . .

Reactions: Isabella
I can watch anime in peace, I don't get bothered by my parents or anything. ~

I mean really, my mother was actually a bit concerned with anime, but I just explained to her that they're cartoons and they aren't anything worse than Family Guy or The Simpsons, which was enough for her, since she knows me inside and out.

Anime can be really suggestive and very crude, some animes I just stay away from, but there's overall very decent shows that keep me entertained for entire marathons. So yeah, I can watch anime peacefully, with my headphones, in my free time. . .

Lucky...
Well, yes, I watch anime on secret, like I said, and actually I stay away from some.

For example, if the anime has the "incest" tag, I just stay away of it. :p

Reactions: 2179
I had two problems that prevented me from watching anime as i was growing up and to some extent also limited my gaming collection.

The first one is that I was growing on the stage where Anime was starting to grow in my city. Internet was there but not as accessible as it is today so during that transition there was a lot of disinformation and fear of the unknown. My mother is religious, she is more open minded now but back then she was more gullible and closed minded. It didn't help that most magical anime make those mystic star inside a circle, which church we used to go cries "satanic", then you get blatant lies like Pikachu means in japanese "100 better than God" or that "kame-hame-hah" was some satanic ritual. Anyway, my mother was the impulsive kind and one day coming from school I discovered she disposed of my stamp albums I had of Dragon Ball, Z, GT and Ranma 1/2 among some posters and VHS they had bought of the movies for me.

I was so scared during that time my mum would get rid of my N64 and the Legend of Zelda games because Pikachu appeared in the Smash so she could by association just get rid of everything. So for a while most anime was 'evil' and well, I would had defended better if I knew better myself. With some years more fans arose and started making conventions, the truth behind pokemon and other series terms were spread and my family accepted anime as asian cartoons. Mum liked Heidi so pointing up this and other anime from my parents time helped settle things.

My second problem was my growing sibling - which was too young for some of the gore or the explicit language, violence and romances - would follow me everywhere. We shared the same bedroom and we had no lock. Laptops weren't dandy then or watch online sites, so it was mostly PC watching burned copies of cds my friends lent me. In the end I slip and he ended up watching some questionable stuff, but overall that was a huge pressure against, specially when I didn't know what I was getting myself into and making excuses on the fly.

now I don't really have a problem watching anime but for some time my roommate was the type that thought all anime was the same and being my best friend it kind annoyed me we couldn't share this hobby, but slowly with other friends he has realized there's more to it that 'exaggerated expressions' and 'kiddy plots'.

Reactions: Isabella and 18
I had two problems that prevented me from watching anime as i was growing up and to some extent also limited my gaming collection.

The first one is that I was growing on the stage where Anime was starting to grow in my city. Internet was there but not as accessible as it is today so during that transition there was a lot of disinformation and fear of the unknown. My mother is religious, she is more open minded now but back then she was more gullible and closed minded. It didn't help that most magical anime make those mystic star inside a circle, which church we used to go cries "satanic", then you get blatant lies like Pikachu means in japanese "100 better than God" or that "kame-hame-hah" was some satanic ritual. Anyway, my mother was the impulsive kind and one day coming from school I discovered she disposed of my stamp albums I had of Dragon Ball, Z, GT and Ranma 1/2 among some posters and VHS they had bought of the movies for me.

I was so scared during that time my mum would get rid of my N64 and the Legend of Zelda games because Pikachu appeared in the Smash so she could by association just get rid of everything. So for a while most anime was 'evil' and well, I would had defended better if I knew better myself. With some years more fans arose and started making conventions, the truth behind pokemon and other series terms were spread and my family accepted anime as asian cartoons. Mum liked Heidi so pointing up this and other anime from my parents time helped settle things.

My second problem was my growing sibling - which was too young for some of the gore or the explicit language, violence and romances - would follow me everywhere. We shared the same bedroom and we had no lock. Laptops weren't dandy then or watch online sites, so it was mostly PC watching burned copies of cds my friends lent me. In the end I slip and he ended up watching some questionable stuff, but overall that was a huge pressure against, specially when I didn't know what I was getting myself into and making excuses on the fly.

now I don't really have a problem watching anime but for some time my roommate was the type that thought all anime was the same and being my best friend it kind annoyed me we couldn't share this hobby, but slowly with other friends he has realized there's more to it that 'exaggerated expressions' and 'kiddy plots'.

Well, my mother is religious too, but instead of your, my mom likes Pikachu. :D
At least I had no problems with videogames... except Final Fantasy and a lot of others RPG :p

Also, my mother have no problem with classic anime, because she watched Heidi for example.
But here goes another problem: If it's on Japanese, it can be dangerous. (disinformation hear, also one problem with one uncle)

Well... Your N64 is okay? :jawdrop:

Reactions: Kaynil
It survived that dark age, fortunately.

My mum didn't have problem with classic anime because she was ignorant that it was anime as well. Once I explained to her, she didn't have a problem with it magically and instead started to comprehend that just like western cartoon there are adult themed ones and different types of plots and audiences. Religiously it stopped bothering her once she understood that those were silly rumours and the information available was clear. Lucky for me, hahah.

Reactions: 18
It survived that dark age, fortunately.

My mum didn't have problem with classic anime because she was ignorant that it was anime as well. Once I explained to her, she didn't have a problem with it magically and instead started to comprehend that just like western cartoon there are adult themed ones and different types of plots and audiences. Religiously it stopped bothering her once she understood that those were silly rumours and the information available was clear. Lucky for me, hahah.

Glad to hear that!
Well, for me, I have to watch anime in secret so... If I want, I can... sometimes :D

Well... Easy example: My mother see me watching anime...One week without PC.

may I ask why your mother sees it fit to ground you for watching anime? That's just plain ridiculous.

Anyways, as for me so long as I had tv time I had peace to watch anime.

may I ask why your mother sees it fit to ground you for watching anime? That's just plain ridiculous.

Anyways, as for me so long as I had tv time I had peace to watch anime.

Read @Kaynil experience, for example.

I didn't think religion would be a reason people couldn't watch anime in peace. Thank God anime isn't popular enough in my country for our hypocrite mullahs to notice it.

Reactions: Reece
When I still lived with my parents it could be annoying. It felt weird to watch anything on my small PC screen so most of the time I'd watch it in the living and got a lot of weird comments like "stop watching Chinese cartoons" despite how I kept repeating that it wasn't Chinese but Japanese :p

Reactions: 18
When I still lived with my parents it could be annoying. It felt weird to watch anything on my small PC screen so most of the time I'd watch it in the living and got a lot of weird comments like "stop watching Chinese cartoons" despite how I kept repeating that it wasn't Chinese but Japanese :p
Haha, everyone confuses Chine and Japanese everythings in my country :p

Haha, everyone confuses Chine and Japanese everythings in my country :p

Some people just associate all Asians with Chinese people. Probably because Chinese people are the most commonly found Asians all over the would. Every country I've visited had a sort of "China Town".

Yeah I would say I can watch anime in peace. I actually plug my laptop to my tv since I like watching it on the bigger screens sometimes. But other times I'd just rather plug in my earphones and watch it on my laptop. My parents always ask if I'm watching Sailor Moon because that's like one of the first anime I obsessed over since I was little, but I haven't watched it in a long time actually lol. But really, I think they couldn't care less because we have terrible cable channels so there's really never anything to watch which is why I resort to anime.

Yeah I would say I can watch anime in peace. I actually plug my laptop to my tv since I like watching it on the bigger screens sometimes. But other times I'd just rather plug in my earphones and watch it on my laptop. My parents always ask if I'm watching Sailor Moon because that's like one of the first anime I obsessed over since I was little, but I haven't watched it in a long time actually lol. But really, I think they couldn't care less because we have terrible cable channels so there's really never anything to watch which is why I resort to anime.

Ha, I'm ashamed when I remember how I used to be a Sailor Moon fan, I even kinda had a crush on her lol.

Reactions: Isabella
Back