Can you watch anime in peace?

• Thread starter ErixSan
  • Start date
Ha, I'm ashamed when I remember how I used to be a Sailor Moon fan, I even kinda had a crush on her lol.

Well, I watched Sakura Card Captor last year :whistle:

Oh my God. I can't believe someone else suffers as much as I do.

Let's see. No, I can't watch anime in peace. Never was able to, and probably never will be. Let me tell you my long, sad story with anime.

One thing I always note about my childhood is that if anything, a video game or an anime, had a character with spiky hair, I wanted to play it or watch it. Of course, basically ALL animes (except the ones with poor art styles IMO) have characters with spiky hair, so here my story begins. I was a little kid. My cousins came over to visit and stayed for like, a goddamn month. I was randomly going through 'cartoon' channels when I found this anime channel that was dubbed in Arabic. None of us understood Arabic, but anyway, it had spiky-haired males and females with unnaturally red/blue/green hair. I wanted to watch it. I stuck to it. But my cousins and one sibling, extra-spoiled noisy brats, slammed themselves and started yelling that they couldn't understand it and the characters were weird and they wanted to watch 'normal' cartoons. Cartoon Network and that rubbish. My parents, because they were trying to be good to another person's children or because I was outvoted massively, said to watch the normal cartoons. Honestly, there are very few memories that make me sadder than that. When I think of the animes there I wanted to watch as a kid, I still want to watch them, but even after searching sometimes extensively for years-like, I can't find them. I think I found one of them but apart from a few pictures, there wasn't anything uploaded of it on the internet. No episodes or anything. There are still some moments from those animes that I remember so clearly. I wish there was some way to project an image from the mind to a computer - that would really help me with my search.

I might seem weird by being this desperate to watch those three (or maybe two?) animes so much even though I didn't even follow their story as a kid, but I expect only someone who has had a similar cruelty done to them would want closure so much. Thank God I don't have to speak to my cousins due to some real-life stuff that happened a long time back that resulted in, how do I put this, 'enmity between the grown-ups' as I thought of it back then. I still haven't forgiven them, even if they were immature little kids back then who just had their way too much.

In between, I think the most anime I ever watched was a quarter of an episode of Pokemon once. I had a luckier school friend though who was so damn lucky he could actually watch anime with his family, and for a few episodes I asked him to tell me the story. I also got into the Pokemon trading card games and collected a lot of them. There was a real craze of Pokemon cards among kids in my school and basically the whole country at that time (Digimon cards were also a modest success) and I'd blow all the little money I had on Pokemon cards. My collection was getting bigger and bigger when one day a teacher at school reached into my bag, confiscated them, and threw them all away. I got incredibly depressed over this too, but I had some really nice friends who gave away enough of their cards to me for me to have a reasonable number of cards until the novelty wore off. Those were fun times to be honest. It's not like my life has ever been happy but those were the better times.

So, I gradually fell out of it. I still loved anime with all my heart, but for a long time I didn't watch any of it because who'd let me? I remember planning my time so that I'd be able to watch Dragon Ball Z, but I didn't manage to watch even two full episodes. But anyway, I think sometime in 2008, I was searching for a PS2 game called Vampire Night and quite by accident, found an anime called Vampire Knight. I only watched the first few seconds of some random episode before I quit because I'd never be able to watch it. But I always remembered the name, for some reason.

So, years fraught with depression passed. I got a 3DS in 2011. A-ha! The internet browser was perfect for reading manga. I thought so anyway - needs must when the devil drives - the screen was really small and I missed some text but I managed to read five chapters of Yu-Gi-Oh! Then Vampire Knight, which had always been at the front of my anime mind, I remembered, and I read five chapters of that too, but the mobile site which I read manga on started to put huge ads which made the manga pages really small so I gave up and started watching the anime. I watched two episodes with a lot of difficulty (on so low a volume that I could barely hear anything, but neither could my mother. And I never dared watch anime with my siblings in the room). On the third episode, I got repeatedly stuck at the same point. And I did for two years. One of my siblings would always be around and I didn't want them to laugh at me and ruin everything for me because, well, they're really wanna-be-cools; they listen to awful Hindi-pop and Chris Brown and all these new jerks just because they're 'new' and 'in' whereas the rock I listen to but they never let me listen to it in peace is mostly from the 1970s and 1980s and 'noisy' and 'old', and they don't watch any film made before 2005 because they want to watch the 'latest' and be so cool and all that rubbish.

So for another two years, I was not able to watch any anime, apart from one episode of the Valkyria Chronicles anime because I love the video games, but I had to drop it because I couldn't find any good site for watching it on, and the DemiKids anime, because I love the video games but I could only watch half an episode in peace and when I found out that only the first episode was subbed and the rest were never translated I guess I had no choice. Really sad, though - I love DemiKids. Also, on a new anime channel that I have never been able to watch for more than three minutes, I watched a bit of Shakugan no Shana II, and I liked it so I added the Shakugan no Shana series to my list of anime to watch if I ever got the chance. I downloaded the Black Rock Shooter OVA and the Last Order: Final Fantasy VII OVA to my PSP and watched them in secrecy - they are the only anime-related things I have ever finished because they are only 50 minutes and 20 minutes long, respectively.

But anyway, this year all my siblings except for me went to live in hostels and go to higher colleges/universties whereas I'm in college yet, so for most of the day it's just me and my mother at home. Things have improved for me a lot, anime-related. Now I can watch about one episode every two days or even if I'm lucky a whole episode per day - I've watched seven episodes of Vampire Knight now, the farthest I've got into any anime, and I intend to finish it and watch all of Shakugan no Shana. Except for weekends when they come back and I dare not watch any anime. I don't really wish to be seen by anyone, really, watching anime. I wouldn't mind telling my mother about the animes I watch - even though Vampire Knight is a highly romantic anime and I would just leave it at telling her about the general idea :p - but I don't, because why take a chance when my siblings can poke their noses in through that?

Still, it's much better for me anime-related than it had ever been before. I usually watch anime now instead of gaming (except for American McGee's Alice and Ocarina of Time 3D which I still play regularly) because I don't have time for both gaming and watching anime. I know you guys might curse me for such a long post - whew! - but I feel much better now.

TL;DR - No, I've never been able to watch anime in peace, but conditions are much better for me now than it ever was before. And yes, I'm a guy and I watch Vampire Knight and it's my favourite anime. Even though it's targeted for a female audience for the most part. I... :p

:eek::eek::eek::confused: So much words, I stopped at the second paragraph. Its a book :woot:

And .Yes I guess I can watch animes in peace o_O

:eek::eek::eek::confused: So much words, I stopped at the second paragraph. Its a book :woot:

And .Yes I guess I can watch animes in peace o_O
That's why I included a TL;DR. It's a long Shakespearean tragedy, it is.

Reactions: ErixSan
That's why I included a TL;DR. It's a long Shakespearean tragedy, it is.

Well, you must write a book then... I can imagine the title...
"Puppet's Life"

Well, you must write a book then... I can imagine the title...
"Puppet's Life"
I'm a master of puppets, not a puppet itself! :p

I'm a master of puppets, not a puppet itself! :p

But I was talking about the title :D
Well, what do you think about making a book?

But I was talking about the title :D
Well, what do you think about making a book?
Yes, but it would be an autobiography :p
I'd write one when I'm old and dry and less stupid. I have to become a rock musician that everyone cares about first.

Yes, but it would be an autobiography :p
I'd write one when I'm old and dry and less stupid. I have to become a rock musician that everyone cares about first.

Cool! Send me your first song if you do it!

Cool! Send me your first song if you do it!
Ah ha ha ha. I barely have the confidence to talk aloud when I'm alone, let alone sing :hilarious: Plus, my voice is horrible. And I can't play any musical instruments except my desk with two pens as makeshift drum sticks. Ah well, I can dream :p

Well, Im weird so, whenever I watch anime I lock my door. Partly because I guess im just a little bit embarrased but there really is nothing to be embarassed about and partly because I dont want to be disturbed during my anime time (which is like from 3pm to 12am) (;

I watch anime in peace almost everytime when alone lol :) when I usually watch anime no one disturbs me ahaha best thing :thumbsup:
Ah ha ha ha. I barely have the confidence to talk aloud when I'm alone, let alone sing :hilarious: Plus, my voice is horrible. And I can't play any musical instruments except my desk with two pens as makeshift drum sticks. Ah well, I can dream :p
well that's sad that you don't have the confidence to talk aloud when you're alone xD lol

I watch anime in peace almost everytime when alone lol :) when I usually watch anime no one disturbs me ahaha best thing :thumbsup:

well that's sad that you don't have the confidence to talk aloud when you're alone xD lol
Yeah well, I feel stupid. But just watch me when I'm with my friends.

I can watch ani
Well, this is a stupid question, but in my case, I can't.

The only way for watch anime is on secret, because here, anime is a "bad thing" unless classic anime, like Sakura Card Captor, Heidi, Inusaya, eh... well, I think you get it.

What about in your case?

I can watch anime in peace, only if it's Avatar or Legend of Kora. Okay, I just kinda contradicted myself, in which case, I rally can't. I wish I could though...

Yes. That's all I have to say. Always could, and hopefully will always be.

I can watch ani

I can watch anime in peace, only if it's Avatar or Legend of Kora. Okay, I just kinda contradicted myself, in which case, I rally can't. I wish I could though...

Avatar (and Legend of Kora) aren't anime (or made on Japan), so no contradiction there :D

haha before 9 pm then its a no - i have to do work , chores , if my dad sees people killing each other writing names in books then he goes crazy :p but after 9 pm ... some one just got a heart attack ...

Unless it's on my computer, I can't watch any anime on TV. There's always somebody monopolizing the TV, so I don't have many choices. Add to this an annoying little brother, and a slow internet connection and you have my situation.

When I was younger I couldn't. My sister used to tease me about it >.>

My reply is so small compared to everyone elses.

Yes, I can. I can watch whenever I want to, and with no distractions. =3

Yes, I can. I can watch whenever I want to, and with no distractions. =3

I would marry you if I had the chance *joking*

Back