Do you EV train and IV breed?

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Marc

Marc

"Marc's the sugar daddy of gaming" - Artisan 2020
Forum Management
Do you guys EV train your Pokemon and IV breed? It's a lot of work and it can get boring after a while, however, it's 100% worth it for those intense Wi-Fi battles. Back in the days of the Pokemon D/P/Pl era, my battles took about an hour or two. It's all about switching Pokemon to block attacks, etc.

Those were the days... I might be a little rusty now because I skipped Pokemon B/W/B2/W2, but I'm no newbie to EV training and IV breeding. I hope that cloning returns in X and Y. People might not want to trade their EV trained Pokemon with good IVs if that's not a glitch in the game, :cry:

Anyway, do you EV train and IV breed in Pokemon games?

I do EV train, but I can't say I've ever really done IV breeding. What I do is catch a bunch of the same Pokemon until I get one with good stats.

And btw, I think we'll all be newbies to EV since we don't really know what EV yield the new Pokemon will have.

Also, cloning would ruin the game :p

I do EV train, but I can't say I've ever really done IV breeding. What I do is catch a bunch of the same Pokemon until I get one with good stats.
I can't EV train a Pokemon unless it has 31 IVs for the stat that benefits most from its movepool, :greedy:
And btw, I think we'll all be newbies to EV since we don't really know what EV yield the new Pokemon will have.
I'm sure there will be old Pokemon in the wild that we all know about, ;) (eg. Magikarp).
Also, cloning would ruin the game :p
Cloning in Animal Crossing: New Leaf will ruin the game, ;). It's sad that it's possible. It's okay in Pokemon IMO. It's not like we want to become millionaires fast in the game. We want to duplicate items for competitive battles.

I can't EV train a Pokemon unless it has 31 IVs for the stat that benefits most from its movepool, :greedy:

That's actually easy to find in the wild, after trying a few dozens :p

I'm sure there will be old Pokemon in the wild that we all know about, ;) (eg. Magikarp).

From my experience, there won't be much of those in the beginning of the game :p

Cloning in Animal Crossing: New Leaf will ruin the game, ;). It's sad that it's possible. It's okay in Pokemon IMO. It's not like we want to become millionaires fast in the game. We want to duplicate items for competitive battles.

Actually, we do want to be millionaires if we can buy stuff like Protein, Calcium and Carbos.

It would also make it possible to clone MasterBalls, event Pokemon, and some restricted items like the Lucky Egg, Exp. Share, rare candies.

Actually, we do want to be millionaires if we can buy stuff like Protein, Calcium and Carbos.
Kicking the Elite Four's butt will make you a faster millionaire, ;)
It would also make it possible to clone MasterBalls, event Pokemon, and some restricted items like the Lucky Egg, Exp. Share, rare candies.
Cloning in Emerald (GBA) is easy. Cloning in Pokemon Diamond/Pearl (DS) is hard. I don't think cloning is possible in B/W/B2/W2, so I think Game Freak will do anything in their power to prevent it. However, I'm hoping that they slip up and make it possible via a glitch, :greedy:

Plus, event Pokemon suck. Their IVs are normally horrible (well, the ones that I obtain from events). And if you try to check their IVs over Wi-Fi, the game will save and you can kiss getting the same Pokemon goodbye.

As for the items, as I said before, I highly doubt it will be easy as Pokemon Emerald to clone, :blackeye:

Kicking the Elite Four's butt will make you a faster millionaire, ;)
You obviously haven't played Pokemon Black/White :p

Cloning in Emerald (GBA) is easy. Cloning in Pokemon Diamond/Pearl (DS) is hard. I don't think cloning is possible in B/W/B2/W2, so I think Game Freak will do anything in their power to prevent it. However, I'm hoping that they slip up and make it possible via a glitch, :greedy:

Plus, event Pokemon suck. Their IVs are normally horrible (well, the ones that I obtain from events). And if you try to check their IVs over Wi-Fi, the game will save and you can kiss getting the same Pokemon goodbye.

As for the items, as I said before, I highly doubt it will be easy as Pokemon Emerald to clone, :blackeye:

Well, you can keep hoping, I still think it won't be possible to clone at all :p

You obviously haven't played Pokemon Black/White :p
I skipped Black, White, Black 2, and White 2. heh...? :D
Well, you can keep hoping, I still think it won't be possible to clone at all :p
I know it's not going to be possible, however, I can dream. The Animal Crossing New Leaf developers made a mistake somewhere and cloning is now possible in that game. I can only dream for the same thing to happen with Game Freak and Pokemon X/Y for the 3DS, :woot:

I skipped Black, White, Black 2, and White 2. heh...? :D

People claim the Elite 4 in Black/White was easy, but that was either because they grinded, or because they migrated their old team :p

I got destroyed on my first try, and could barely make it through the second. And I probably don't have to say that they were about 20 levels higher for the rematch :p

I got destroyed on my first try, and could barely make it through the second. And I probably don't have to say that they were about 20 levels higher for the rematch :p
That's normal with most Pokemon games. After beating 'em once, their Pokemon magically grow 15-25 levels stronger. That's where I level my Pokemon up to level 100 when I have to.

It was still the first time I couldn't beat the Elite 4 on my first try (not counting Pokemon Red where I went at them with Pokemon in the 40's).

I only do EV Training after the Pokémon League when I have time to Breed who I want with the right nature and Egg Moves.

And about the Pokémon League, they are very Challengeable, using moves you wouldn't think they would be using and taking out the Pokémon you thought would have taken them down easily.

I always EV train my pokemon, but I have never IV bred any. I just get a Pokemon and then EV train it to make it better in those Wi-Fi battles. Maybe, this time around I'll try my hand at IV breeding as well.

I always EV train my pokemon, but I have never IV bred any. I just get a Pokemon and then EV train it to make it better in those Wi-Fi battles. Maybe, this time around I'll try my hand at IV breeding as well.
Yeah I never got IV Breeding, I probably still don't. But, eventually I will figure it out.

Yeah I never got IV Breeding, I probably still don't. But, eventually I will figure it out.
+1.
I tried to do it numerous times but I always gave up because it was way too much time consuming. I'd rather trade a flawless Pokemon than IV breed it.

Every time you catch a new Pokemon or it hatches from an egg, it'll have a certain amount of IVs for each of its stats (eg. ATK, HP, etc). 31 IVs is max. If a Pokemon has 31 IVs in all of its stats, it's obviously a hacked Pokemon.

In D/P/Pl, we used to check IVs of Pokemon by entering a Wi-Fi battle with someone we knew and after disconnect. Of course, both players knew that one person will disconnect because it's not a battle.

A Scizor with 31 IVs in ATK and 31 IVs in HP with the nature that benefits ATK (I really can't recall the natures, sorry) will have 394 ATK (max) and 344 HP (max but not Scizor's best HP because of its nature).

If a Pokemon has good IVs and a friend had it, we'd normally ask the friend to borrow it to breed it. That way, the offsprings will most likely have good IVs. We kept on creating offsprings until we found the right IVs for the right stats. It took hours and a lot of checking over Wi-Fi, however, it's well worth it.

There are a couple of tricks to speed up hatching eggs. The fire-type Pokemon (looks like lava) with the shell on its back has a skill, I believe, that makes hatching eggs faster. We'd also infect the Pokemon with Pokerus right away to make EV training faster (no time to waste).

Reactions: xXMrSummersXx
Every time you catch a new Pokemon or it hatches from an egg, it'll have a certain amount of IVs for each of its stats (eg. ATK, HP, etc). 31 IVs is max. If a Pokemon has 31 IVs in all of its stats, it's obviously a hacked Pokemon.

In D/P/Pl, we used to check IVs of Pokemon by entering a Wi-Fi battle with someone we knew and after disconnect. Of course, both players knew that one person will disconnect because it's not a battle.

A Scizor with 31 IVs in ATK and 31 IVs in HP with the nature that benefits ATK (I really can't recall the natures, sorry) will have 394 ATK (max) and 344 HP (max but not Scizor's best HP because of its nature).

If a Pokemon has good IVs and a friend had it, we'd normally ask the friend to borrow it to breed it. That way, the offsprings will most likely have good IVs. We kept on creating offsprings until we found the right IVs for the right stats. It took hours and a lot of checking over Wi-Fi, however, it's well worth it.

There are a couple of tricks to speed up hatching eggs. The fire-type Pokemon (looks like lava) with the shell on its back has a skill, I believe, that makes hatching eggs faster. We'd also infect the Pokemon with Pokerus right away to make EV training faster (no time to waste).
TO Help you out with helping me. You must mean the Adamant, Brave, Lonely, & Naughty Natures.
And Ability Magma Armor, or Flame Body.

Reactions: Marc
I have heard of IV and EV training, but I never played Pokémon competitively, so I don't do it.

I have heard of IV and EV training, but I never played Pokémon competitively, so I don't do it.
Oh, that's good then.

Nah, I don't care enough to do that. Even randomly distributed, as long as my Pokemon have maxed out EVs they're more than capable of taking out all my friends' teams.

Nah, I don't care enough to do that. Even randomly distributed, as long as my Pokemon have maxed out EVs they're more than capable of taking out all my friends' teams.

I wouldn't say more than capable. If both players are equally skilled, you would need some luck to be able to beat an EV trained team. I'm not saying that its impossible. Just unlikely.

Again, I'm not saying that you need an EV trained team to beat another. Just that if during the battle your strategy (including your Pokemon types, move sets and abilities) don't give you an advantage over the opponent, its the EV that will make the difference. Even a slightly higher speed or attack can save you during the battle.

Back