Do you EV train and IV breed?

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
I wouldn't say more than capable. If both players are equally skilled, you would need some luck to be able to beat an EV trained team. I'm not saying that its impossible. Just unlikely.

Again, I'm not saying that you need an EV trained team to beat another. Just that if during the battle your strategy (including your Pokemon types, move sets and abilities) don't give you an advantage over the opponent, its the EV that will make the difference. Even a slightly higher speed or attack can save you during the battle.

Out of all my friends, I'm the only one who uses actual strategy. That's why I don't have to bother with EVs/IVs when I play them. They more or less throw their Pokemon at me, then rage when I beat them using half of my team.

Reactions: Memento Mori and Flarence
I tried ev training and it's too boring and way too much work. Maybe I'll have more motivation to do it once X/Y comes out, and even then I'll only EV train a few after I beat the storyline.
I have beaten ev trained teams with non ev'd teams on wi-fi before, though.

I EV train and IV/move breed, it's a good way to get an upperhand in battles and such.
I usually start Iv breeding and EV training after I beat the Pokemon league so I have a way to level up and stuff.

Reactions: Marc
I EV train and IV/move breed, it's a good way to get an upperhand in battles and such.
I usually start Iv breeding and EV training after I beat the Pokemon league so I have a way to level up and stuff.
Same here. I start to EV train and IV/move breed after beating the game. That's when I start to battle over Wi-Fi. We should battle sometime over Wi-Fi when X/Y comes out.

Same here. I start to EV train and IV/move breed after beating the game. That's when I start to battle over Wi-Fi. We should battle sometime over Wi-Fi when X/Y comes out.

Absolutely! =D I'll likely only be using 6th gen Pokemon (excluding megas if they aren't banned) for my parties this time around.

I never EV trained or IV bred. I just got lucky sometimes. :p

Out of all my friends, I'm the only one who uses actual strategy. That's why I don't have to bother with EVs/IVs when I play them. They more or less throw their Pokemon at me, then rage when I beat them using half of my team.

You don't battle worldwide players?

You don't battle worldwide players?
Nope. I don't think I've done a single random match, or whatever they're called.

I've never done this, but I've wanted to start. Is it worth learning? Does it help with the full game? Or, is it exclusive to like Wi-Fi?

I've never done this, but I've wanted to start. Is it worth learning? Does it help with the full game? Or, is it exclusive to like Wi-Fi?
Normally, people start EV training and IV breeding after they beat the game. It's worth learning if you want to get into competitive battling over Wi-Fi.

Normally, people start EV training and IV breeding after they beat the game. It's worth learning if you want to get into competitive battling over Wi-Fi.
How much of a difference does it make? Is it noticeable?

How much of a difference does it make? Is it noticeable?
I've never lost to someone who did not EV train their Pokemon when I used my EV trained Pokemon with good IVs. If Average Joe doesn't IV breed, chances are he wouldn't win against me.

I've never lost to someone who did not EV train their Pokemon when I used my EV trained Pokemon with good IVs. If Average Joe doesn't IV breed, chances are he wouldn't win against me.
I see. Can you link me to a guide or something I could use to learn?

I don't, and probably never will, as I don't plan on getting into competitive Pokémon play. Pokémon is not a game that I like playing competitively.

I rarely EV Train and I currently don't know how to IV breed because I'm kind of new to all of this stuff / stats and all that :)

I rarely EV Train and I currently don't know how to IV breed because I'm kind of new to all of this stuff / stats and all that :)

I'm new to it too. And I easily get frustrated. My only truly successful iv bred pokemon was Magikarp :p It does make a huge difference. You should read up on it.

I'm new to it too. And I easily get frustrated. My only truly successful iv bred pokemon was Magikarp :p It does make a huge difference. You should read up on it.
I would if I feel like doing so and when I have the time to do some reading up about iv breeding xD it's really complicated i guess...

I would if I feel like doing so and when I have the time to do some reading up about iv breeding xD it's really complicated i guess...

It's not really complicated. It's just super time consuming. It also requires a lot of patience. Which I lack so I don't iv breed as much as I should. But it's all up to you. If you ever need help, the internet is at your disposal xD And we can help you here too.

It's not really complicated. It's just super time consuming. It also requires a lot of patience. Which I lack so I don't iv breed as much as I should. But it's all up to you. If you ever need help, the internet is at your disposal xD And we can help you here too.
Like I told you I'm a slacker /'very lazy so I won't be doing iv breeding :) because I don't have a lot of patience as well lol.

Back