Do you think 3DS and/or Wii U games will be backward compatible with NX?

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Marc

Marc

"Marc's the sugar daddy of gaming" - Artisan 2020
Forum Management
Assuming NX will be a home console for the big screen or a handheld, do you think it will be backward compatible with 3DS or Wii U games? Backward compatible means the system will be able to play games from an old system like how the 3DS could play DS games or how the Wii U could play Wii games.

Sony and Microsoft dropped backward compatiblity in their latest consoles (Xbox One and PS4) and :
Iwata said:
If you only expand upon existing hardware, it's dull
...the above quote sort of makes me question it.

What are your thoughts about this?

I personally think they will, Nintendo had the feature present in many of their consoles (except GBA games on DS which was a disappointment). I think many gamers would want to relive their Wii U titles (especially if they have a collection of decent games). Considering if it'll be a home console. As for if it will a handheld, I imagine it will be able to play 3DS games. I don't think Nintendo will go down the 'no backwards compatibility' route because they want to keep their audience happy. :giggle:

don't think Nintendo will go down the 'no backwards compatibility' route because they want to keep their audience happy. :giggle:
Yet they won't quit region-locking despite their audience wanting them to do it for a decade. :panda: :(

I think the NX won't be compatible with 3DS or Wii U games at all, even if they wanted it to be - I kind of have an idea that it'll be a different sort of device, and Nintendo's recent love for DeNA kind of strengthens that it might be something of a smart device. Sad idea, but I can't help think it might be true.

At best it'll be like Virtual Console compatibility - awful optimization. I don't think there will be backwards compatibility.

Reactions: 423, 3823 and Mikaya
I hope there will be backwards compatibility, and surely there should be a way to transfer downloadable games. I usually sell my old console to make money, and room, for the new one, but I couldn't sell my Wii do to the amount of VC and retail games on that system.

It would only make sense for the NX to be backwards compatible. I really hope it's a backwards compatible home console. It'd be nice to transfer my Wii U VC/Wii U Ware onto the NX.

Reactions: 3823
It's really hard to say , but I think that it will . But it is hard to think that a 3d game would show 3d as well as play Wii U games but then unless the 3d feature would be cut off , then it wouldn't really be possible in my opinion . However if it could , then that would be pretty awesome .
I Like HANDHELD devices :bag:

Every Nintendo product I remember has been backwards compatible so unless the system works totally different (virtual reality maybe?) I assume it will be backwards compatible. I think they just meant that they were going to develop new ways to play and new games instead of going in endless mode on the old stuff. I would be rather bad for their sales (I think) if they dropped the backward compatibility since most people like to take their old games with them.

I think the NX will be like a Wii u with a portable gamepad. So yeah I think it will be compatible with past games. Its kind of what nintendo has been doing since gamecube.

I personally think that NX should have backwards compatibility or else the NX could be getting bad reviews and not selling much :/

I personally think that NX should have backwards compatibility or else the NX could be getting bad reviews and not selling much :/
Yup. Very true, because one of the good things about the wii was you can play gamecube games, wii u can play wii games. Take that out and you lost of of Nintendo's classic garuntees on its game console line. It will without a doubt have this. Or i won't buy for a while, at least until a couple of solid games are released.

I think may be nintendo nx will not able to paly backward compatible as name of the console show that their may be new games for this unknow console may be some kind of that we.never thought and it can introduce some character too.

They should do backward compatibility according to me. almost every console did it. The 3DS could play DS games and DS lite could play GBA. They should make one backward compatibility thingy. I (and many other people) will love it if they do.

Chances are, Nintendo has been really nice with the concept of backwards compatibility function since the GBA, allowing it to play games form the previous handheld system, so maybe there is a good chance that we can get some backwards compatibility with the NX when it comes out.

I can't be too sure if there will be backward comparability or not because of the fact that Nintendo is full of surprises. Going from a logical standpoint, backward comparability has been a thing of theirs since the GBC I believe, so this kind of gives me the impression that this is a feature to likely be implemented with the upcoming system.

I think it would be backwords compatible because every Nintendo console before was backwords compatible so why wouldn't the NX be the same. Though could it run both Wii u and 3DS games will be a challenge for Nintendo hardware developers though it could be really awesome.

I think it should have backwards compatibility and I actually have some ideas for 3ds backwards compatibility.
Idea 1: Have the gamepad have 2 screens and the 3ds cartridge goes into the bottom of the gamepad.
Idea 2: Have the gamepad like a updated Wii u gamepad and put 3ds cartridges in the bottom and the bottom screen would be the touch screen and the top screen would be the TV.

I don't see why not, simply giving it 3DS backwards compatibility also gives it DS AND GBA backwards compatibility AAFAIK

I think they will, but what makes me wonder is will it have multiple cartridge slots? Will it be a console that only play's 3ds/Wii U games? I just wonder how they will make the compatibility if they choose to.

I still think that backwards compatibility is going to be a thing with the NX. Iwata may have said that because of the Wii to Wii U transition which didn't really innovate much other than being able to play without a TV, but that's what handhelds are for. Another thing I see for the NX is Virtual Console, everyone's been anticipating the GameCube VC for so long, so maybe that's something the NX can bless us with.

In the end, who knows?

Indeed it can, the Wii U can play gamecube games digitally, the feature is just not available legally

Back