Do you think 3DS and/or Wii U games will be backward compatible with NX?

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Indeed it can, the Wii U can play gamecube games digitally, the feature is just not available legally
Well if it's not legit with Wii U right now, don't you think it would be a profit for them to make it a thing on NX? I feel that would be a smarter thing to do for the NX, since many fans love the GameCube library

Well if it's not legit with Wii U right now, don't you think it would be a profit for them to make it a thing on NX? I feel that would be a smarter thing to do for the NX, since many fans love the GameCube library
Indeed.

Giving it backwards compatibility with both the Wii U and the 3DS would by proxy give it native backwards compatibility with Wii U, Wii, GameCube, 3DS, DS and GBA, since the Wii U actually has a "virtual Wii" which is the Wii system and can natively run Wii and GameCube games, so no need for emulation, which would make the games easier to implement. While the 3DS can run DS games natively due to having the DSi system inside, as well as the GBA's system.

Thus, they can put a bunch of games as VC easily, since the most processing-heavy games can be played natively (Wii U, Wii, GameCube, 3DS and DS) and the rest can be emulated, which Nintendo already does with actual VC titles for SNES, NES and others.

I don't think Wii u will be backwards compatible sadly. Only if they allowed the gamepad to work with the NX then maybe, but if gamepad doesn't work with NX, no point in having Wii U backwards compatible if you can't use the main controller and usually only thing that works with the games

I don't think Wii u will be backwards compatible sadly. Only if they allowed the gamepad to work with the NX then maybe, but if gamepad doesn't work with NX, no point in having Wii U backwards compatible if you can't use the main controller and usually only thing that works with the games
It could be easily made compatible, same way they made wii u compatible with wii stuff, easy.

Of course, backwards compatibility is always optional for the costumer, so not having a gamepad wouldn't make you miss out on NX stuff.

Alternatively, if they were to follow my opinion on what the NX should be, the gamepad would be completely unnecessary, i said it on another thread

I don't know, probably. I'm thinking the NX might be beyond a console, in my opinion. But most likely and logically, yes, yes it would.

Meh, I'm content on not having backwards compatibility. I don't feel like having to transfer my data over to the NX with Wii U. Wouldn't that mean Wii data also on the Wii u would transfer over?

Meh, I'm content on not having backwards compatibility. I don't feel like having to transfer my data over to the NX with Wii U. Wouldn't that mean Wii data also on the Wii u would transfer over?
By that logic we could have old Wii Software transferable onto some future Nintendo console in 2050 xD

By that logic we could have old Wii Software transferable onto some future Nintendo console in 2050 xD
Also another concern I have, will the eshop for Wii u and 3ds still be available? Because if not, I'm not gonna be happy. I know the Wii shop channel is still on Wii u, but if they ever close servers for Wii u and 3ds, and I want some dlc, I'm not gonna be very happy

Also another concern I have, will the eshop for Wii u and 3ds still be available? Because if not, I'm not gonna be happy. I know the Wii shop channel is still on Wii u, but if they ever close servers for Wii u and 3ds, and I want some dlc, I'm not gonna be very happy
Y'know what would be great? The fact that if the NX is made backwards compatible with both Wii U and 3DS means it can run all Nintendo consoles before those, the VC for Wii U and 3DS could be merged for NX, and maybe add Wii and Gamecube games to it.

Reactions: Slayerpon Tatsu
Y'know what would be great? The fact that if the NX is made backwards compatible with both Wii U and 3DS means it can run all Nintendo consoles before those, the VC for Wii U and 3DS could be merged for NX, and maybe add Wii and Gamecube games to it.
That works for all except in the case of the GameCube as GameCube games did not work on Wii u ;p

That works for all except in the case of the GameCube as GameCube games did not work on Wii u ;p
Actually, the Wii U's native Wii system (yes, it has the Wii's os inside) can run Gamecube games.

To clarify, not in any Nintendo-approved way, it can run them, just not legally. Why they didn't implement it is beyond me

It would be cool if we insert d 3DS games into the NX hardware.

It would be cool if we insert d 3DS games into the NX hardware.
It could sort of be like the gamecube gameboy reader. Loved that feature so much.

@Kuudere-Kun care to elaborate on the GameCube on Wii u?

It could sort of be like the gamecube gameboy reader. Loved that feature so much.

@Kuudere-Kun care to elaborate on the GameCube on Wii u?
Sure.

The Wii U has the Wii's OS integrated, it's known in Gbatemp as the Virtual Wii or vWii for short.

The original Wii was capable of running GC games natively, this function, of course, is absent on the Wii U for normal users due to the Wii U not reading GC discs and the GC games not being available digitally.

The vWii on the Wii U does have the capability to launch GC games, there's a vWii homebrew that allows the execution of GC game images. I cannot elaborate much since it's technically illegal >.< but to keep it short, the Wii U has the software required to run GC games through it's Wii OS, other features not available physically, like memory cards, can be easily simulated.

So, Ninty doesn't have much of an excuse to not put GC games available as VC :p

Sure.

The Wii U has the Wii's OS integrated, it's known in Gbatemp as the Virtual Wii or vWii for short.

The original Wii was capable of running GC games natively, this function, of course, is absent on the Wii U for normal users due to the Wii U not reading GC discs and the GC games not being available digitally.

The vWii on the Wii U does have the capability to launch GC games, there's a vWii homebrew that allows the execution of GC game images. I cannot elaborate much since it's technically illegal >.< but to keep it short, the Wii U has the software required to run GC games through it's Wii OS, other features not available physically, like memory cards, can be easily simulated.

So, Ninty doesn't have much of an excuse to not put GC games available as VC :p
Makes sense. Only problem is that they made the GameCube controller adapter only for smash u. Pretty dumb but maybe we can see it :p

Makes sense. Only problem is that they made the GameCube controller adapter only for smash u. Pretty dumb but maybe we can see it :p
Oh, maybe that's not much of a problem.

That homebrew app allows the use of regular Wii controllers for GC games, not sure about the GC controller adapter, but if some hackers can, then Ninty, who hold the source code and all the documentation, surely could tweak it to work, dunno if it would be possible, but it's likely

Oh, maybe that's not much of a problem.

That homebrew app allows the use of regular Wii controllers for GC games, not sure about the GC controller adapter, but if some hackers can, then Ninty, who hold the source code and all the documentation, surely could tweak it to work, dunno if it would be possible, but it's likely
I'm just really hoping Nintendo will fully utilize the controllers they've made this generation. I don't feel like buying all new controllers

I'm just really hoping Nintendo will fully utilize the controllers they've made this generation. I don't feel like buying all new controllers
Indeed, it would be a total waste of they didn't >.< the Pro Controller and the GC adapter would work wonders on shooters and other gimmick-less games.

Indeed, it would be a total waste of they didn't >.< the Pro Controller and the GC adapter would work wonders on shooters and other gimmick-less games.
And if they ever make HD versions or ports of past games, the past controllers can also help so much. They'll probably allow the adapter for smash 5 and Mario kart 9 if they are smart enough.

And if they ever make HD versions or ports of past games, the past controllers can also help so much. They'll probably allow the adapter for smash 5 and Mario kart 9 if they are smart enough.
I'd love an HD remaster of Super Mario Sunshine >.<

In case they get sucked dry of ideas, HD remasters and remakes could be their saving grace

Back