Favorite type of music/song

• Thread starter milesose
  • Start date
Okay, I do not listen to music by genre but I think that in general I listen most to hard rock/metal/pop. I am picky when it comes down to music and it also depends on my mood. I can't stand most R&B and modern popsongs (The ones that are thrown together with the computer+theme is love+lyrics don't matter).

List of what I listen to regularly (there are loads of songs I like for some time and then grow to hate, or I like just one song of a band and therefore the band is not on the list) in no particular order:
Adele
The Fray
Seether
3 Doors Down
Three Days Grace (the old songs that is, I do not like the voice of the new leadsinger)
Nirvana
Foofighters
Passenger
Evanescence
Red Hot Chili Peppers
The Offspring
Linkin Park
The PianoGuys
vkgoeswild
P!nk
Panic! at the Disco
Tracy Chapman
Krezip
Radiohead
Duelling Fiddlers
Scala & Kolacny Brothers
Papa Roach
Nine Inch Nails
Imagine Dragons
Anouk
Cake
Alanis Morissette
Birdy
Touhou music mostly rock/metal or classical versions

I would love to get suggestions for bands/artist I should try! :D

You certainly have a wide list.

I would take a look at Mike Tompkins. You could go on Youtube or my music channel on Soundcloud, under the same name.
I make compilations of his songs.

Maroon 5 is a good band.

I don't know what you'll think of these. You lean heavily on rock, but I see hints of pop and alternative in there as well. I think we could be good friends, and show each other new things.

Mike Tompkins sounds heavily edited so I am sorry but like I said I am pretty picky. I know Maroon 5 and I think they're okay but I've heard both Moves Like Jagger (I had to sing in a remix and around the 8th time it gets REALLY annoying) and Payphone one too many times. But thanks a lot for suggesting stuff, it helps broaden my music horizon. :) Any other suggestions?

Mike Tompkins has to be heavily edited, since he doesn't actually use instruments.

Anyway, you already listen to PATD.....I got it!

Have you ever heard Tenacious D?:sneaky:

It's Jack Black and his friend in a rock band.

It's mostly just funny, but some of it is actually good.

And apparently I just got merged. What about the poll I made? Is that gone forever now?

Mike Tompkins sounds heavily edited so I am sorry but like I said I am pretty picky. I know Maroon 5 and I think they're okay but I've heard both Moves Like Jagger (I had to sing in a remix and around the 8th time it gets REALLY annoying) and Payphone one too many times. But thanks a lot for suggesting stuff, it helps broaden my music horizon. :) Any other suggestions?

Have you heard Maroon 5's new album?

Last edited by a moderator:
Tenacious D lolz, friggin hilarious you mean. Thanks for telling me about them! I think your poll is lost :(. You should listen to the live versions of the PATD songs, there are some really great ones hanging in the youtube cloud. (Try the live version of The Ballad of Mona Lisa)

Tenacious D lolz, friggin hilarious you mean. Thanks for telling me about them! I think your poll is lost :(. You should listen to the live versions of the PATD songs, there are some really great ones hanging in the youtube cloud. (Try the live version of The Ballad of Mona Lisa)
No problem. I love spreading the joys of music.
I'll take a look at those live songs.

Any other suggestions?

I would take a look at a couple of songs by ELIM. It may seem a bit too techno/electronic, but I'm just throwing out ideas here.

I love rock songs and some other songs in my country that you may not know of but they are linkin park and skillet and the person or band that did I walk alone,yeah I like that one too_Ooooh yeah I also like the singer Eminem songs they are good to me .

I would take a look at a couple of songs by ELIM. It may seem a bit too techno/electronic, but I'm just throwing out ideas here.
Okay, I have to go to school now but after that I'll see (or rather; listen) :)
I love rock songs and some other songs in my country that you may not know of but they are linkin park and skillet and the person or band that did I walk alone,yeah I like that one too_Ooooh yeah I also like the singer Eminem songs they are good to me .
I think most people have heard about Linkin Park and I know Skillet too. While I like "Monster" I do not really like their other songs. But Monster is sooo catchy. Eminem is great but I am just not into rap. I like songs with some rap in it but full rap songs aren't my cup of tea.

I like most of the "Awake" album from Skillet. The ending of Monster always kind of throws me off though.

I really like Lucy.

Reactions: PersonSP
Korean music! Listen to Exo's songs: Overdose, History and XOXO! They're all amazing!

Umm..
Heavy Metal (Black Sababath,Iron Maiden and alike)
Thrash Metal (80s Metallica,80s Slayer,Kreator and alike)
Death Metal (Cannibal Corpse,Death and alike)
Gothic Metal(Cradle of Filth)
Deathgrind (Exhumed,Cattle Decapitation)
Crust Punk (Only GWAR)
Hardcore Punk (Same as last one)
Industrial Metal (Only Rammstein)

My favorite Songs would be:
Iron Man (by Black Sabbath)
Hammer Smashed Face (by Cannibal Corpse)
Hallowed by the Name (by Iron Maiden)
Caught Somewhere in Time (by Iron Maiden)
Thirteen Autumns and a Widow (by Cradle of Filth)
Der Meister (by Rammstein)
Casketcrusher (by Exhumed)
Forced Gender Reassigment (by Cattle Decapitation)
Immortal Corrupter (by GWAR)
Beyond the Unholy Grave (by Death)
Killing Spree (by Death)
Master of Puppets (by Metallica)
Mandatory Suicuide (by Slayer)

Last edited:
Umm..
Heavy Metal
Thrash Metal
Death Metal
Gothic Metal
Deathgrind
Crust Punk
Hardcore Punk
Grindcore
Industrial Metal
Band/song names? I find it hard to describe my music taste by genre but this kind of sound like my cup of tea. I think that I can say I like metal/rock/hard rock/grunge but that isn't very specific. I also listen o some pop and indie artists. I just listen to the music I like ;P But please try this website; http://everynoise.com/engenremap.html Type a band and get their genres, click a genre and get bands. It's great for finding new stuff.

Does Grindcore count as Punk?

No idea, like it said I am really bad with genres.

Reactions: Hayleia
*revives Thread*
so I have to update stuff now:
Music Genres:
Heavy Metal
Grindcore
Hardcore Punk
Thrash Metal
Death Metal
Grunge
(Im not going to put every single hybrid genre here)

Songs:
Dead Kennedys - California über alles (Hardcore Punk)
Death - Zombie Ritual (Traditional Death Metal)
Exhumed - All Guts no Glory (Deathgrind)
Cattle Decapitation - Mute Rain (Goregrind)
Napalm Death - Siege of Power (Grindcore)
Metallica - Ride the Lightning (Thrash Metal)
Impaled - Operating Theatre (Deathgrind)
Carcass - Inpropagation (Goregrind)
Slayer - Aggresive Perfector (the faster version) (Thrash Metal)
Rammstein - Stein um Stein (Industrial Metal/Neue deutsche Härte)
Alice in Chains - Them Bones (Grunge)
Iron Maiden - Man on the Edge (Traditional Heavy Metal)
Black Sabbath - Iron Man (Traditional Heavy Metal)
Sodom - Outbreak of Evil (Thrash Metal
Kreator - Awakening of the Gods (Thrash Metal)
Autopsy - Twisted Mass of Burned Decay (Doom/Death)
Megadeth - Peace sells (Thrash Metal)

Reactions: 18
My favorite genres of music that are as follows:
Rock
Deathcore
Post-hardcore
and Metalcore.

Reactions: 18
Glad you said "type" in the title of the topic and not "genre" or "artist" or things like that. I don't understand how people can discriminate by genre and probably never will. There are probably more musics you like in a genre than in other genres but still, you should keep yourself open for unexpected surprises instead of giving more chance to some than to others.

Anyway, I usually like music where there are things to keep me focused. Basically, I don't like Birdy. She plays the piano (or she pays a pianist to play the piano) as slow as we play Brawl and it gets boring very quickly. And you may say she sings right, I don't care, she represents less than half of the music so if the rest is boring, I don't like it. Obviously, I said Birdy for the example but I said "basically" and "usually", so if she surprises me with a good song some time, well I'd be glad to listen to it, and there are other artists in her case.

You don't even need to make a lot of things happen. Listen to "In and out of love" for example. The drums are playing quite the same thing over and over, but not exactly the same thing, there are patterns that seem to be modified on the go or something. Well, that's enough to keep me focused on the music.

And if you want precise examples of what I like, I can name Pitiless by Dilemn, Ants by edIt (same as In and out of Love, patterns modified everywhere), La Grange by ZZ Top, Lieutenant by Vicelow (yeah it's rap, but I absolutely don't care about the rapper as long as the instrumental behind him is once again one of those collages of modified patterns), Sultans of Swing by Dire Straits, Appasionata from Beethoven etc.

I like any music that sounds good to me. The things that I listen to vary so I can't quite type all that I listen to because it would be a long list that would probably never end lol

Reactions: Hayleia
Okay, I do not listen to music by genre but I think that in general I listen most to hard rock/metal/pop. I am picky when it comes down to music and it also depends on my mood. I can't stand most R&B and modern popsongs (The ones that are thrown together with the computer+theme is love+lyrics don't matter).

List of what I listen to regularly (there are loads of songs I like for some time and then grow to hate, or I like just one song of a band and therefore the band is not on the list) in no particular order:
Adele
The Fray
Seether
3 Doors Down
Three Days Grace (the old songs that is, I do not like the voice of the new leadsinger)
Nirvana
Foofighters
Passenger
Evanescence
Red Hot Chili Peppers
The Offspring
Linkin Park
The PianoGuys
vkgoeswild
P!nk
Panic! at the Disco
Tracy Chapman
Krezip
Radiohead
Duelling Fiddlers
Scala & Kolacny Brothers
Papa Roach
Nine Inch Nails
Imagine Dragons
Anouk
Cake
Alanis Morissette
Birdy
Touhou music mostly rock/metal or classical versions

I would love to get suggestions for bands/artist I should try! :D
I should add Alt J, Bastille, Santana, Hozier, People in Planes, John Mayer, Kelvin Jones, Arctic Monkeys and Shinedown.
I like to seee how the list grows, it means I'm finding more and more great songs and artists. :)

Back