Handheld or Console?

• Thread starter Joey
  • Start date
Joey

Joey

The hero of time
Towns Folk
Relating to the Nintendo consoles of course. This is a debate commonly brought up, circling around all consoles, while this debate is centered around the Nintendo handheld, and console systems.

I personally like the console's, such as the Wii U. The graphics are stunning and the games aren't half bad. The Wii U gets hated on a lot, but I really don't know why, there are great games on it, such as Mario Kart 8, Pikmin 3, LoZ: Wind Waker HD, and plenty more. I don't mind the handheld consoles though, I love my 3DS so much, and that has great games on it as well.

I always prefer handhelds, so this applies to Nintendo hardware as well. They're portable, the 3DS has all the good games, and I don't have to worry about losing my progress when the electricity is cut off, as it is several times a day here.

I'm not interested in the Wii U, but as for other Nintendo consoles, they're all good too. Can't beat the handhelds though :cat:

I always prefer handhelds, so this applies to Nintendo hardware as well. They're portable, the 3DS has all the good games, and I don't have to worry about losing my progress when the electricity is cut off, as it is several times a day here.

I'm not interested in the Wii U, but as for other Nintendo consoles, they're all good too. Can't beat the handhelds though :cat:
I'm a bit iffy on which one to choose. I must agree, I also love the handhelds as well, and the 3DS is amazing, but so is the Wii U. That's also true, but my internet isn't cut off much, so that doesn't happen with me. All nintendo consoles are pretty nice though.

I always prefer handhelds. I don't have anyone to play with locally anyway, they're portable, usually have amazing games on them (mainly referring to the 3DS but DS and GBA are cool too) that'll keep me busy for ages, and like Spinnerweb said, they have their own battery life and don't die when the electricity does.

I always preferred handhelds too, because as everybody said, you can still play it even if there's a power outage (as long as you have battery), they're portable, and generally they have good libraries of games.

The small con is that you don't regularly find the people to play with locally, but anyway, now, the Wi-Fi has solved the issue.
Oh, and finally, one thing that I love about handhelds, and that I bet we all did: Playing during the night with a handheld, and hoping not to get caught.

Reactions: 18
Playing during the night with a handheld, and hoping not to get caught.

This is one of the most beautiful things about owning a handheld :thumbsup: :cat:

Reactions: D4rkDragon
Consoles are my preference. I've seen people with handhelds, and I can see ups and downs with those. I just prefer consoles mainly because the screen's bigger. I like the fact that the handhelds are portable, and require less power to operate, but I just don't get much enjoyment out of them.

I prefer handheld for one reason: being able to play in the car. It's nice to be talking long car trips and not be really bored while my parents listen to oldies music and talk in hushed voices about Obamacare and God knows what else :p I also enjoy being able to carry my device around so that I can play it as I'm running from my cousins (who I regrettably have to see AFTER the long car ride) that's my opinion.

I prefer handhelds over home consoles. Sure, home consoles may have more beefy graphics with split-screen ability, but nothing beats the fun of playing Bravely Default/Zelda on a long and boring bus trip.
Plus, the handhelds have games that are surprisingly fun, like some Mario games. If you have ever owned a PSP, you would know how fun Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker was. it had graphics like a console game.
There are also some ports of console games to handhelds, for example you can play Resident Evil: Revelations on your 3DS.

Reactions: 18
There are also some ports of console games to handhelds, for example you can play Resident Evil: Revelations on your 3DS.

Other way around in that case. Revelations was originally a handheld games and was later ported to consoles.

Other way around in that case. Revelations was originally a handheld games and was later ported to consoles.
Whoops :D :nailbiting:

Consoles never have to worry about running out of power and they are more powerful than Handhelds. Handhelds are portable and can be taken anywhere however the battery run out if you don't have a car charger. Portable games usually offer multiplayer and for most of the main Pokemon series they've been meant to be portable so they can be taken everywhere (and you're not going to be gone for long I bet without a charger). The consoles are the ones that started out the at home local multiplayer and usually have new things to offer rather than the same things because with more power there is more potential. I'd have to say handheld for what it's worth because it can be played at home too and they are just neater in their own way with the 8-bit beats of the GBC and the innovation of smaller devices.

Consoles never have to worry about running out of power and they are more powerful than Handhelds. Handhelds are portable and can be taken anywhere however the battery run out if you don't have a car charger. Portable games usually offer multiplayer and for most of the main Pokemon series they've been meant to be portable so they can be taken everywhere (and you're not going to be gone for long I bet without a charger). The consoles are the ones that started out the at home local multiplayer and usually have new things to offer rather than the same things because with more power there is more potential. I'd have to say handheld for what it's worth because it can be played at home too and they are just neater in their own way with the 8-bit beats of the GBC and the innovation of smaller devices.
I'd have to agree with you, having to charge the handhelds a lot more often get's very annoying. larger life spans are better as well, and you can't drop a console while playing it, haha. But I must say, handheld multiplayer is a lot better, just because the screen isn't split, because multiple systems are being used. I don't mind having split-screens to much though, but it does become quite a bother sometimes.

To be honest, I prefer console and it might be simply because of what I'm used to. I have always had and only ever had a console and it just feels right to me. I have played handhelds and don't have anything against them and would even use them, but my preference remains with the console.

As others have said, when it comes to traveling, handheld is awesome. But, I actually remember hooking up a small TV with the console in the car and playing that on a 20 hour car ride years ago.

I prefer consoles for that big home experience and they generally get the better multiplat 3rd party games and also the best 1st party experiences. They usually are expensive but it's worth it, especially if it's a good Nintendo console which I generally want, if it's supported by a nice library of games. Of course, handhelds are much cheaper and have some IPs you won't find on consoles (Pokemon, Animal Crossing this generation apparently) and if I have to travel, well, a handheld is more than enough.

I'd generally say get both, for example, let's just say the Wii U actually got enough game support, not just from Nintendo and the odd 3rd party. The 3DS would be great with it's own library (with many exclusives like MK7, Pokemon, AC, Luigi's Mansion 2) and also has the fact that you can play when going outside, while I could have a Wii U a couple of years later with the big experiences.

So basically, this generation, the 3DS has been amazing and I don't regret having one over a Vita or any other console. The Wii U would be a great console to have now, although I'd say it would be absolutely must have for me if it had near-perfect 3rd party support from all the biggest publishers (I'd want for all of the sports games, licenced games, shooters, Activision, EA stuff y'know) and also more killer titles a lot sooner (heck, they should've put a new IP out in 2013 if the release schedule looked a bit barren).

I'd have to choose handheld. For the fact that I travel a lot and its so very useful to play on the road ;3 I like playing consoles when i'm actually at home (wish I had a wii u!)

I actually like them both. I like the comfort of sitting on the sofa while playing a fully-fledged game with excellent audio, and i equally like snuggling under the cover with my handheld comfortably in my hands, playing main favourites like Pokemon or Megaman. But if I had to choose I prefer handhelds.

Well, it depends on what I'm doing. If I'm at home, then I spend most of my time playing the consoles. But I can always play my 3DS when I'm on the go (which is the joy of being a handheld). I like taking my 3DS with me if I am flying somewhere and I have a layover or something like that.

I prefer controllers. I enjoy the handheld as well but for me I'm just use to using controller's and they are easier for me to use and play with.

I've always preferred handhelds. They're portable, which makes it much easier to play wherever you want and whenever you want. Handhelds are also pretty advanced, with the 3DS being as powerful as the Nintendo Gamecube. I don't like consoles because they anchor you to your living/bedroom. This means that you can't play anywhere other than the place where your console is. Portability really changes the whole gaming experience, and in my opinion, make it much better.

Back