• Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D4rkDragon

D4rkDragon

Lemon Dragon
Towns Folk
Hi everybody,

I know a lot of you have been wanting to be able to use HomePass for the first time/again, yet this wasn't possible because the 9.X.X update actually updated the Nintendo Zone SSID list, meaning that "attwifi" doesn't work anymore. You're sad ? Then, you shouldn't be ! Indeed, in this tutorial, I'll help you set up a HomePass relay with a Windows 7/8 laptop !

Okay, let's get started by listing what you'll need:
-A laptop with a wireless card that supports Hosted Networks*
-An active Internet Connection
-The HomePass kit, ready to be downloaded below !
-A 3DS/3DSXL/2DS (really ?)

(*See Step 0 to know if your PC supports hosted networks)
To keep it simple, I won't go into complex explanations, but I suggest you know at least a few small tricks with Windows. Ready ? Let's go !

Press Windows + X at the same time, and select "Command Prompt (admin)".
Once the Command Prompt (I'll refer to it by calling it CMD, so watch out) is open, type this into it:

Code:
 netsh wlan show drivers

Then, check if support for Hosted Network is Yes. If that's it, you're lucky, and you go to Step 1, otherwise, you're unlucky.

Another note: In order for the script to work, just rename your main Internet connection (the one you use to access the Internet on your laptop) to "Wi-Fi" (without quotes). It doesn't affect anything, and allow the script to work.

Okay, time to set up the Hosted Network. If you have done Step 1, don't close your CMD! Keep it open!
Type this into it:

Code:
 netsh wlan set hostednetwork ssid=NZ@McD1 key=password mode=allow
(Instead of password, put anything you want! It's just that W7/8 doesn't allow unsecured hosted networks!)
It'll set up a hosted network with NZ@McD1 as a SSID. That's what we want. Let's proceed.
Now, start your hosted network. Just type into the same window this:
Code:
 netsh wlan start hostednetwork

This should start it. If you get an error saying that the resource is not available, simply disable your wireless card and restart it. Or ensure that you're not already running another hosted network.
Ok. We now have our hosted network up and running. Now, configure your 3DS, and remove any useless connection and your home Wi-Fi connection, as it may cause the 3DS to be confused and connect to the wrong spot.
Now, we face technical thingies. Unpack the HomePass kit you've downloaded somewhere, and run the macswitch.cmd. Open it within a Command Prompt for better results.

You also have a PDF in which are listed Prime MAC Address for games. Don't get confused, just consider it as a MAC address and you'll be fine.
Okay, pick one and type it without the colons in the CMD that will open when you double-click the MacSwitch program.
Your network card will be disabled, because you're switching its MAC Address. Wait for it to reboot, and restart your Hosted Network.
Just to be sure that you're Wireless Card's MAC Address has been changed, press Windows + R and type this and hit Enter:
Code:
ncpa.cpl
Select your main Internet connection (Not the hosted network), and select Status. Go in Details, and check the "physical address". If it matches the MAC you have entered before, then good news ! Else, retry !
Okay, we now have our Hosted Network and our 3DS ready. Our wireless card's MAC Address has also changed. What should I do ?
On your 3DS, go to the HOME menu. You should get a message saying that Nintendo Zone services are available. Simply close your 3DS/Set your 2DS in Sleep Mode, and wait. If a green light flashes, you'll get a nice surprise !
Well, you're done. If you want more hits, feel free to switch your MAC Address with one of the "attwifi" address of the PDF. Note that you can use each MAC only once per 8 hours !
Sorry if that sounds long, boring and annoying to read! That's longer to explain than to do ! But if it worked, feel free to enjoy your bonuses in various games !

Attachments

• HomePass.zip
    145.3 KB · Views: 455
Reactions: Marc, abrahams, MissTK and 4 others
This is a post where I have seen the most words written,must have taken you a long time to do this but I don't really use Nintendo zone,so I'm not really interested but I think many other people are.

Excellent tutorial!
I wasn't fully interested in HomePass, but after watching the last puzzles I wanted to unlock them :p

Reactions: Kakea and D4rkDragon
interesting...

Reactions: Kakea
This is a post where I have seen the most words written,must have taken you a long time to do this but I don't really use Nintendo zone,so I'm not really interested but I think many other people are.

Well, it just took me an hour, if we also count the events that happened in real life while I was writing it (nothing too important though, just the regular things that happen at home).

PS: Don't forget it uses the SSID of a German Nintendo Zone, and if I recall, I thought those Nintendo Zones are supposed to give demos for Pokémon OR/AS.
(Also, I forgot to say that entering -r in the MacSwitch program reset your MAC Address to the original one)

Last edited:
The tutorial worked fine for me until the part were i changed the MAC Address, when i check the Physical address it stays the same. Do you know what may be the problem?

The tutorial worked fine for me until the part were i changed the MAC Address, when i check the Physical address it stays the same. Do you know what may be the problem?

Maybe your WLAN card doesn't support modifying your MAC. Otherwise, ensure that your main Internet connection is called 'Wi-Fi', and retry.
Also, ensure that the MAC you entered doesn't contain any colons.

Maybe your WLAN card doesn't support modifying your MAC. Otherwise, ensure that your main Internet connection is called 'Wi-Fi', and retry.
Also, ensure that the MAC you entered doesn't contain any colons.
Yeah my main Internet connection was renamed to Wi-fi and everything.
I guess you are right about my WLAN Card then, what a bummer, i have been trying to get a working Homepass for some months now...

Yeah my main Internet connection was renamed to Wi-fi and everything.
I guess you are right about my WLAN Card then, what a bummer, i have been trying to get a working Homepass for some months now...

Watch Out ! If it is "Wi-fi" and not "Wi-Fi", it might not work ! Computers are quite sensible when it comes to uppercases, and that kind of stuff!!!

Watch Out ! If it is "Wi-fi" and not "Wi-Fi", it might not work ! Computers are quite sensible when it comes to uppercases, and that kind of stuff!!!
Yeah, i named it exactly to "Wi-Fi", i guess that wasnt the problem then...

Yeah, i named it exactly to "Wi-Fi", i guess that wasnt the problem then...

Maybe you messed up with the program...
It shouldn't be "4E:53:50:4F:4F:XX", but 4E53504F4FXX !
(Of course, replace the XX with a number ranging from 40 to 4F)

Maybe you messed up with the program...
It shouldn't be "4E:53:50:4F:4F:XX", but 4E53504F4FXX !
(Of course, replace the XX with a number ranging from 40 to 4F)
Nah, im definitely sure i typed the MAC Address without the colons.
Its just that i got unlucky with my notebook´s wireless card.
Well then...

Nah, im definitely sure i typed the MAC Address without the colons.
Its just that i got unlucky with my notebook´s wireless card.
Well then...

Well, can you tell me what's your notebook's WLAN card, at least ? Maybe I can help you about it if I find something.

is there any other way of doing this? I mean, I want to do it, but this seems like it would take too long!

is there any other way of doing this? I mean, I want to do it, but this seems like it would take too long!

Yes, there are many other ways, but, this one is the easiest and the fastest way to do it. It's just that it's longer to explain than to do.

Yes, there are many other ways, but, this one is the easiest and the fastest way to do it. It's just that it's longer to explain than to do.
Thanks for letting me know. I'm going to try this.

This essentially turns your pc into a nintendo zone, right? That would mean that it still requires nearby peole to get streetpasses.

Thanks for letting me know. I'm going to try this.

This essentially turns your pc into a nintendo zone, right? That would mean that it still requires nearby peole to get streetpasses.

Nope. My theory is that the Nintendo Zone your computer "emulates" connects to other Nintendo Zones, and thuse, anybody walking near the "emulated" ones/people leaving their 3DS near one are counted as a StreetPass hit.

The only thing that confuses me is what we're supposed to configure on the 3ds. Just deleting connections or what? I also have no network connection for the hosted network.

Excellent tutorial!
I wasn't fully interested in HomePass, but after watching the last puzzles I wanted to unlock them :p

I'm sorry if this sounds dumb, but what is HomePass.

I'm sorry if this sounds dumb, but what is HomePass.

HomePass is basically StreetPass, except that you configure your laptop/device that supports connection sharing to make your 3DS believe you're passing by a Nintendo Zone, while you're actually at home.

So, it's more like: StreetPass at home through Internet.

Reactions: Kakea and BentheBoss
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back