Is the Wii U a failure?

• Thread starter Roxasthebrave
  • Start date
Roxasthebrave

Roxasthebrave

I been having these weird thoughts lately...
Towns Folk
Is it a failure? Although the Wii U have been sold at lot due to Smash Bros and Mario Kart 8. But there's no denying that the Wii U still have bad sales. Plus, Nintendo is making a new console that will soon make the Wii U useless to get. (Just like what happened to 3DS due to the New 3DS.)
And the lack of virtual console, indies and original Wii U download only games makes Eshop sorta useless. So, tell me in not a fanboy or Nintendrone way. Is the Wii U a failure?

The wii u in my opinion has failed unfortunately

I guess it is yes. Doesn't mean it's a bad console though but ys, they failed. But Nintendo's marketting is terrible ._. They do great games they never advertise, it doesn't quite help.

Outside of Japan, they don't really seem to care =/

Yes. Miyamoto himself said so, and if one of Nintendo's most important people thinks it failed, it failed bad. :panda:
The name caused plenty of confusion, I always think.

Reactions: 423, Artisan and 2205
unfortunately for Nintendo, it's a failure ;~; the name confused a lot of people (including me) and it just never reached it's full potential. the only reason I've wanted a wii u was for hyrule warriors, and now that it's coming out on the 3ds, i don 't need a new console for it :/

Commercially yes. But I think that the problem is not only what Miyamoto has said (please refer to @Spinnerweb 's post for the link), but also because of their marketing choices and the console's architecture/hardware. Okay, before you start saying "Nonsense!" or anything, let me explain.

Nintendo, since the GameCube, had been using the PowerPC (made by the guys at IBM) architecture, which was used by old Mac systems back in those days (Mac OS 9 and below. Apparently, the Xbox 360 used it as well). But the problem is, Ninty's marketing, and the architecture.

Because, see, not only Ninty, as we all see, has the bad habit of not marketing correctly, but worst, for third-party developers, PowerPC is a living hell to deal with. See, most of the x86 based processors used a certain way to process data. The "Endian" thingy you maybe have heard.

Let's say that a x86 processor will represent a 8-bit number like 15 like this: "00001111". Well, most of the PowerPC processors will display it like this: "11110000", because, the smallest bits come first, which means that it was tricky to write or port libraries or games who used bitwise arithmetic (Instead of working with numbers, they worked with bits. Processors prefer bitwise stuff since it's easier to translate to machine code/process than numbers. On small projects, you won't notice a change, but for big games, it can be a game changer).

But not only this. Years have passed, and quite a few flaws have been discovered in the PPC architecture which made it inferior to the x86/IA-32 processors (x64 were too rare yet). But, when the x64 came, well, the PPC was totally deprecated, since most of the people switched to x64/x86 (code was way easier to make for those, not to mention that any well-written x86 code will work on a x64 processor), and unfortunately, most of the libraries with it didn't enjoyed ages without maintenance.

And sadly, Nintendo's mistake is the same: By choosing to go different, they always choose PowerPC architectures. Of course, since their last console was another PPC-based one, they can easily port their stuff without too much hassle. But for third-party devs who write/breathe/live/see x86/x64 everyday with PlayStation systems or computers, that's a pain, sicne they have to rewrite all of their code! (Not to mention the low frequency on PPC processors). Of course, Apple eventually dropped PPC (not sure, but apparently that's the case), in favor of the infamous x86/x64 for most of their computers nowadays, but, there still are a few companies who use PPC processors. Which means that making games for Nintendo's consoles (Not the handhelds! The consoles) is a totally pain for most of the people who are adapted to write code for x86/x64 processors. Hence why Nintendo's consoles' hardware always was subject to many debates, both in the video game community, and in the programming community.

Note: I'll end the architecture debate here.

But yes, the Wii U being an add-on stuff seems to be brought back on the table frequently enough, though that, most of the people I know here (in France) always knew it was another console. Marketing error in other countries maybe ?

Reactions: TheYESDragon
Wii U is just about under 10 million sales at this point, so yes. It's a sales failure, although at least the library is very good and this gen has resulted in more experience for the marketing team who seem to be finally realising how to get it right with the new IP, Splatoon, which to have sold at least 1 million retail so far on Nintendo's worst-selling console is very good.

And I agree that x86 should have been used instead of PowerPC, plus slightly more power (although that's debatable) along with a hell of a lot more clever marketing. Wii U is a stupid name anyways, Nintendo Revolution should've been a thing.

Reactions: D4rkDragon
I do not consider the Nintendo Wii U to be a failure. The Wii U is more powerful than XB360 and PS3 but not as powerful as XBONE and PS4. It has more games than PS4 and XBONE combined and offers a unique style of gameplay. If you want to talk about failures the Virtual Boy was an instant failure.

The game library and the systems power is good. But due to the expensive console and the games itself, lots of people wont consider buying it. The system is $300+ and the games are around $40-$60. Personally, id just go woth the 3DS variations, games usually range from $30-$40 and they dont have much of a difference, except the wii U is more HD, because it is commected to the TV
I do not consider the Nintendo Wii U to be a failure. The Wii U is more powerful than XB360 and PS3 but not as powerful as XBONE and PS4. It has more games than PS4 and XBONE combined and offers a unique style of gameplay. If you want to talk about failures the Virtual Boy was an instant failure.
Dont even talk about that tho, something that only projects images in red, fits on your head uncomfortably, not even letting you see what buttons you were pressing, expensive, and teh horrible game library, niggest fail in the nintendo history xD

The game library and the systems power is good. But due to the expensive console and the games itself, lots of people wont consider buying it. The system is $300+ and the games are around $40-$60. Personally, id just go woth the 3DS variations, games usually range from $30-$40 and they dont have much of a difference, except the wii U is more HD, because it is commected to the TV

Dont even talk about that tho, something that only projects images in red, fits on your head uncomfortably, not even letting you see what buttons you were pressing, expensive, and teh horrible game library, niggest fail in the nintendo history xD
exactly, thus it's a failure

yes indead the biggest failure EVER!
But still the Wii U game library is much bigger compared to XBONE and PS4 combined, and PS4 has the smallest game library

But still the Wii U game library is much bigger compared to XBONE and PS4 combined, and PS4 has the smallest game library
*nods* correct, wii u is level 100 compared to vb

Nope, Wii U has less games than Xbone and PS4 combined. Xbone and PS4 both get several multiplatform games every month while Wii U only had that kind of support near launch. PS4 has a larger game library than Xbone.

Does the number of games really count as much? Half of them could be shovelware.

The number of AAA games are generally a better way to measure how a console's going in terms of its software library.

The PS4, last I checked actually has the least number of titles available on it right now, but this discussion isn't quite what I had in mind when I opened a thread about the Wii U.

Is the Wii U a failure? I'll admit, the Wii U seems to have been a bit rushed. Nobody really caught on to the console (so it suffered the same growing pains as the 3DS did when it was first released), and as a consequence, there aren't many developers for the console. The Wii U game pad is an interesting concept, however I feel that they were just trying to get the effect of dual screens (like the DS) but on a home console. The console isn't a failure, but it has not performed to expectation since its release.

Can the Wii U be saved? Absolutely, but it will take the right amount of love and dedication from its developers. At this late in the game, they need to start doing more things with the console that people are going to like. Don't get me wrong, Nintendo announced some titles that belong on the Wii U at E3, but that alone isn't going to save it. We'll just have to wait and see.

Reactions: Super Smash Jordan
Pretty much yes! The Wii U could be much better then they made it and they were never selling until mario kart 8 came out and still wasn't much of a system but smash bros. made it go off the shelvs butlike @SunnyWindy said nintendo doesn't really think of advertising or anything like that outside of japan and there advertising just sucks! You would never know if a game came out unless you searched it online or found it on facebook or something you never see it on TV until two weeks before its release or after!

Personally, I think the Wii U is a fail. The only times I ever play it is when I am playing Super Mario 3D World with my brother and sister. Once we bought one, we were like "What now?" because all of the games I want to have (such as Mario Kart 8 and Smash for Wii U) are like $60 and i am not paying that much money for a game I won't play that much. :p
So yeah, the Wii U was a fail. ( Not a bad console, just not sold much and high prices. Kinda like Sony and Microsoft! :hilarious::rotfl:

Back