Is the Wii U a failure?

• Thread starter Roxasthebrave
  • Start date
Yes.

Can the Wii U be saved? Absolutely, but it will take the right amount of love and dedication from its developers. At this late in the game, they need to start doing more things with the console that people are going to like. Don't get me wrong, Nintendo announced some titles that belong on the Wii U at E3, but that alone isn't going to save it. We'll just have to wait and see.

It could be saved but it won't be. I mean they said they'll be talking NX next E3. and Reggie confirmed it's a home console (not sure if he meant to or if it was a slip up).

In terms of sales, yeah. In terms of games, it depends. In terms of first/second party only, it's not a failure, with 3D World, Bayonetta 2, Pikmin 3, and upcoming games like Zelda, Xenoblade, and Starfox, but the (possible) lack of games like Metroid and Paper Mario is not good.

In terms of overall game support, yes. The PS4 and Xbox One will have a higher quantity of quality titles than the Wii U because of third party support. Although someone could definitely have a better time with the Wii U than the other consoles.

Yes the sales on the Wii U are bad but the games that are coming out like Project Cars and Nintendo might bring out GTA 5 but that is not a promise because they have to build a big developing station so big companies like Rock Star can perform their work and bring big names like GTA 5 and TitanFall or The Crew to the Wii U. So whatever you do please and I am begging you please don't give up on the wii u. They even want Black Ops 3 to come to the Wii U so do you want to see that change happen I do? So please let me know what you think in the comments below and I might see if I can make a difference with Nintendo.

In terms of its sales it has failed badly. 10 million sales after 2 and a half years is horrible for a console. Even the Dreamcast beat that (I'm pretty sure). But in terms of games there's a good amount of high-rated games, that have sold well too. It's very possible Wii U's top games will outsell GameCube's.

Edit: I posted on this already? Guess I should've checked the second page.

Yeah, its a failure indeed, but the failed consoles are usually the best consoles. The wii u commercially failed. 10.6 million units ain't much. I think it can be saved, saved meaning by sales of the console can increase, if they have a good line up for the wii u in 2016 and make the wii u a but cheaper.

The media is a damn liers about the wii u. They bash it and say lies. Its not cool, I really hate the media. They lie, saying nx is coming in 2016, legend of zelda is coming to the nx, which is untrue. DO not listen to the media, they are liars. They will discourage you to buy the wii u.

What nintendo needs is a nintendo direct to prove they are wrong and people to like the wii u again, then sales will sky rocket. Tell people nx is not coming soon, and people will change and say, hey, wii u is what I need to buy. Nx is coming in 2017 or 2018, for sure. Nintendo is to stubborn to give up on the wii u anyways, I bet a Nintendo direct will fix it, announcing lots of wii u games hopefully, proving people wrong.

Reactions: T-Player Guy and Mikaya
Not that much actually mayro 3d world was a sucsess compared to many other mayro titles to this date and all of games have incredible sales compared to xbax and playstation 4 actually wii u seemed to be a failure back in 2013-2012 but niw many exciting games are coming out and many are excited to see them like me

Reactions: TheSpiritedWarrior
I think the Wii U had it's moments with some good and some bad. But, the reason for the consoles tragic failures was probably nintendo's marketing and comershals. I also agree and understand that some of the people got confused because the name Wii U sounds like just an accessary for the Wii and not an actual next gen console. Besides the flaws of the console it has pretty good games to play like splatoon and smash. The Wii U has so much to offer like chating, online shopping, and online video streaming. Even my mom said that the Wii U console is like a Roku, Game system, and Personal computer combined into one ultimate piece of technology. Which I definatly agree with.

I believe that while as a console it definitely hasn't failed, (It's pretty awesome and quite unique) it might have failed as a product, but much more due to bad marketing than anything else. The problem is the name for starters, "Wii U" sounds more like an attachment for the Wii than anything else, but also the fact that Nintendo didn't put enough effort in getting people hyped for the announcement. If they had taken their time and released more teasers and all that, I think it would have worked miracles on the sales.

Marketing failure

It's still has a lot of good games, features and has free online play. It's hardly a failure as a console. Too bad money talks, and it didn't sell as much. Compared to the Wii the product wasn't advertised well at all, and most (uninformed) people just thought it was an additional component.

As for bringing out the NX soon; I probably won't get it though on release though, maybe when it get its titular Zelda game (or if a Fire Emblem is announced for it). I hope they advertise it well enough to rope back in all the customers from the Wii-U. I also hope the gimmick they have in store (both a home console and portable in one) is true, as I'd rather not have to buy the 3DS' successor. It still feels a bit soon for the NX to be released if it's next year.

I'd reiterate, the Wii-U is hardly a failure. Give anyone a Wii-U right now and they'd enjoy using the system.

Yeah, its a failure indeed, but the failed consoles are usually the best consoles. The wii u commercially failed. 10.6 million units ain't much. I think it can be saved, saved meaning by sales of the console can increase, if they have a good line up for the wii u in 2016 and make the wii u a but cheaper.

The media is a damn liers about the wii u. They bash it and say lies. Its not cool, I really hate the media. They lie, saying nx is coming in 2016, legend of zelda is coming to the nx, which is untrue. DO not listen to the media, they are liars. They will discourage you to buy the wii u.

What nintendo needs is a nintendo direct to prove they are wrong and people to like the wii u again, then sales will sky rocket. Tell people nx is not coming soon, and people will change and say, hey, wii u is what I need to buy. Nx is coming in 2017 or 2018, for sure. Nintendo is to stubborn to give up on the wii u anyways, I bet a Nintendo direct will fix it, announcing lots of wii u games hopefully, proving people wrong.

I can't wait to hear your reaction when NX is announced to be coming out this November.

I can't wait to hear your reaction when NX is announced to be coming out this November.
Like I told you, it is too unrealistic. And you replied quite late to me my friend. The nx is not coming out in november. What makes you that convinced? Iwata was the one who even said that they will TALK about the console this year, there was no evidence saying it was coming this year.

Unless you want a rushed and crappy console yet to be another failure from Nintendo, I think a 2017 release date is the most appropriate time.

Reactions: Mikaya
Unless you want a rushed and crappy console yet to be another failure from Nintendo, I think a 2017 release date is the most appropriate time.
Consider how Nintendo is slowly falling financialy, so a rushed console could actually mean the end of Nintendo... Quite frankly, on the note that Nintendo HASN'T EVEN SHARED ANYTHING about the console itself guesses to its release date by the media are straight BS. Kinda like how people have guesses towards a new Pokemon game called Pokemon Z despite Pokemon SMD just came out and Pokemon Go is still in the works, AND THEY HAVEN'T ANNOUNCED IT! The media is a big, dumb, tangled up ball of lies and premature guesses. :-/

Reactions: TheSpiritedWarrior
I have the Wii u and it's awesome. It s one of my favourite consoles

I personally love my Wii U. Especially when It comes to playing Mario Kart 8! The graphics are amazing and I love the new features! But Splatoon is one of my new favorites as well!!!

I think the Wii U is not a failure because NIntendo actually made a (small) profit in recent years on the console. It has been steadily growing

(But if Nintendo decides to abandon it this year, then they risk abandoning their consumer base and make the NX a fail just like what happened to Sega/Saturn/Dreamcast

I think the Wii U is not a failure because NIntendo actually made a (small) profit in recent years on the console. It has been steadily growing

(But if Nintendo decides to abandon it this year, then they risk abandoning their consumer base and make the NX a fail just like what happened to Sega/Saturn/Dreamcast
How do you know they made a profit? (I mean, I believe you, but I'm curious.)

How do you know they made a profit? (I mean, I believe you, but I'm curious.)
Nintendo made a $9 million profit last Q1 2015 (April-June) after consecutive losses since 2011. That is significant, considering impressive 3DS sales get diluted by Wii U losses and great releases like Smash Bros and Splatoon

Also, they had "positive" income results for the fiscal year of 2015

I think the Wii u is successful in my own point of view. Sure it didn't do as great as they would had like it to, but there is a vast library of games that I wouldn't mind getting to. And te 2016 line up is getting me excited

I don't think its a fail. I think its great and creative. I mean splatoon, for example, is actually more friendly and isn't your typical shooter *cough* cod *cough*. Personally, I have a firm belief that nintendo has lots of great first party titles, and I couldn't ask for more. I really don't like third party games, I'm fine playing smash and mario kart and everything else. Plus way cheaper than ps4 or xbox one. Nintendo never has been about best hardware, but for good quality gaming with friends and family.

Reactions: Mikaya
just because the wii u are selling out quickly and the wii u games are being taken fast doesn't mean it's the best console in the world. the wii u console does have some ups and downs (people do get highly annoyed about going on system system every few minutes because of poor internet connection.) the wii u is going to be treated just like a 3ds when new consoles come out it's going to be pushed to the side. it has currently no new games (well soon we'll have) and some of them are similar to the 3ds. splatoon, mario kart 8, wind waker and a few others have made the wii u fun and enjoyable.

Back