Is the Wii U a failure?

• Thread starter Roxasthebrave
  • Start date
For the most part and by the majority of people, the WiiU is considered a failure, not because of the quality of the games released on the console, but because of the poor sales of the console itself. What no one seems to talk about, however, is that the Xbox 1 actually sold worse than the WiiU, with the WiiU moving approx. 13 million units and the Xbox 1 moving approx. 10 million units.

Eh, I guess in many aspects, the Wii U did not reach the potential that the original Wii did. It's not that it was a fail, it's just that we all were expecting more from Nintendo. But at the same time, you can't expect Nintendo to make a console that is just as excellent right after peaking on excellence with tht Wii. It's like expecting a sequel of a movie to be just as good as the first; no matter how hard you hope, it's probably not going to happen.

I personally enjoyed the Wii U, but I didn't play many games on it. Smash Bros I play obviously. I really didn't like Super Mario 3D World (I much rather would play Super Mario 3D Land on the 3DS). Overall, though, the Wii U is just, well, mediocre. It's not bad or good, it's just... okay.

Seeing as the Switch sold more in it's first year than the Wii U did in three, yeah I'd say it's a failure.
It had good games, like Hyrule Warriors, Bayonetts 1/2, Mario Kart 8 & Splatoon... but these games all have better versions on the Switch now, leaving the Wii U with a poor version of Mario Maker (RIP Miiverse) and Smash... which will probably also get a port.

Super Mario 3d World ftw?

Reactions: Kadaj
Eh, I guess in many aspects, the Wii U did not reach the potential that the original Wii did. It's not that it was a fail, it's just that we all were expecting more from Nintendo. But at the same time, you can't expect Nintendo to make a console that is just as excellent right after peaking on excellence with tht Wii. It's like expecting a sequel of a movie to be just as good as the first; no matter how hard you hope, it's probably not going to happen.

I personally enjoyed the Wii U, but I didn't play many games on it. Smash Bros I play obviously. I really didn't like Super Mario 3D World (I much rather would play Super Mario 3D Land on the 3DS). Overall, though, the Wii U is just, well, mediocre. It's not bad or good, it's just... okay.
I mostly agree with this. The system and it's library are just ok. It's sorely missing multiplats. It has a few good first party games, but many are ports and many more have been ported to switch or 3ds.

In terms of sales, it bombed. Not even close to something the big 3 should have produced. It made Nintendo look like Sega or Atari. The Wii U was a failure that I would never have expected any of the big 3 to make a console sell less than 20 mil units, that's pitiful (consider that Sony has never made a home console that sold less than 50 million). I'm glad Nintendo seems to be back with the switch, and that the 3ds held the up through the Wii U years.

Reactions: pokerus
In terms of sales, it bombed. Not even close to something the big 3 should have produced. It made Nintendo look like Sega or Atari.

It got so bad, that people actually believed that Nintendo would quit and start making third party software...

Reactions: Duffy
I feel like failure is a crushing word but I had similar feelings about it. The wii was okay and the wiiu was...okay... but nothing really held the same impact as the nintendo ds & the n64 did and then the snes before it. I think the switch is their way back into the game big time, despite the success of the 3ds, it's been an amazing year since release!

Wiiu tried to do something different, and I can't fault Nintendo for it. I think as an investment, I personally am glad I didn't buy the one we have however.

A failure financially? Maybe. (I hope that they were at least able to even out thier costs)
But a failure to become one of my many beloved home consoles from nintendo, no. The system has so many gems on it, like Nintendo land, super mario 3d world, star fox 0,(wasn’t a great star fox game, but it was good and used the gamepad in a creative way.) pikmin 3, and breath of the wild. There is even still some games that look like masterpieces and I haven’t been able to play them yet, like zombi u, donkey Kong country: tropical freeze, and beyonetta 2. I love these games, and i love the wii u gamepad. Its weight is actually a nice change for me to the light tiny controllers normally available. In game, the weight makes the wheel in mario kart fell like it has a tiny bit of resistance, a gun actually in your hand.
The only thing that is killing this joy for me is what’s happening now and in the future. Many of the Wii U’s gems have been ported off the system and onto different systems (mario kart, beyonetta, and donkey kong on switch, zombi u on ps4, and mario maker and yoshi whooly world on 3ds) this makes me worry a little bit. “What if the only reason i have a wii u ends up being for Nintendo land and star fox 0? (Two games that can’t really be done on a different console.)

Back