Last movie you saw

• Thread starter Mikaya
  • Start date
I saw "superbad" and I really liked it. Probably gonna watch "Scott Pilgrim vs. the World' next because thats Michael cera too.

Reactions: Marc
I saw "superbad" and I really liked it. Probably gonna watch "Scott Pilgrim vs. the World' next because thats Michael cera too.
Loved this movie.

Reactions: Deepak
Wolf Walkers

Good movie

Just finished watching "scott pilgrim vs the world". Not as funny as superbad but still a good movie imo. Gonna watch "juno" next. That would complete the 3 famous michael cera movies I know of.

Reactions: phofufury
Hellbound: Hellraiser II

You're going to hear me talk about this a lot for the next few days, and likely I will always be referring to it by its full title because that's the kind of respect this deserves.

I don't believe it's possible for any film sequel to be better than this. Building off the original, an entirely new creative vision to retain the innovation of the first without repeating the same tricks, reprising the old tropes without outright copying the original - Hellbound: Hellraiser II is exactly what a sequel needs to be.

Furthermore, not only is this a sequel, it is the sequel to what was already my favourite film of all time. It had some big shoes to fill and it filled them well.

This time, the antagonist is Phillip Channard, a twisted doctor who aims to uncover the secrets of Hell. Kirsty returns and is accompanied by a new girl called Tiffany as the two protagonists of the story. While the starting scenes recap the previous film as well as setting up the story, it later delves into the nature of the Cenobites as well as exploring Hell itself, which takes up most of the film. This leads the focus of the film onto expanding the lore of Hellraiser while delivering a quite literally Hellish vision to rival that of the original.

Compared to the more down-to-Earth horror of the original, Hellbound is much more sci-fi orientated and extraordinarily visionary in its, well, visuals. Everything feels fluid in its transitions, like the first, with most scenes leading directly into the next.

Overall, it's once again a horror masterpiece well worth watching if, like me, you loved the first.

...Scratch that. If you've watched the first, watching the sequel is a necessity. As I've said at the beginning of this essay, it's everything a sequel needs to be, it feels less like a sequel and more the second part of a greater whole.

Sweet nightmares.

Hellbound: Hellraiser II

You're going to hear me talk about this a lot for the next few days, and likely I will always be referring to it by its full title because that's the kind of respect this deserves.

I don't believe it's possible for any film sequel to be better than this. Building off the original, an entirely new creative vision to retain the innovation of the first without repeating the same tricks, reprising the old tropes without outright copying the original - Hellbound: Hellraiser II is exactly what a sequel needs to be.

Furthermore, not only is this a sequel, it is the sequel to what was already my favourite film of all time. It had some big shoes to fill and it filled them well.

This time, the antagonist is Phillip Channard, a twisted doctor who aims to uncover the secrets of Hell. Kirsty returns and is accompanied by a new girl called Tiffany as the two protagonists of the story. While the starting scenes recap the previous film as well as setting up the story, it later delves into the nature of the Cenobites as well as exploring Hell itself, which takes up most of the film. This leads the focus of the film onto expanding the lore of Hellraiser while delivering a quite literally Hellish vision to rival that of the original.

Compared to the more down-to-Earth horror of the original, Hellbound is much more sci-fi orientated and extraordinarily visionary in its, well, visuals. Everything feels fluid in its transitions, like the first, with most scenes leading directly into the next.

Overall, it's once again a horror masterpiece well worth watching if, like me, you loved the first.

...Scratch that. If you've watched the first, watching the sequel is a necessity. As I've said at the beginning of this essay, it's everything a sequel needs to be, it feels less like a sequel and more the second part of a greater whole.

Sweet nightmares.
Idk why but I have a feeling you'll like the SAW franchise

Idk why but I have a feeling you'll like the SAW franchise

Unsurprisingly, that's my second favourite after Hellraiser in terms of horror films, though I think it starts to drop after the third film. VI and VII have some creative traps but the stories aren't as good as the first three. Jigsaw was a return to form, even if it once again messed with the entire franchise lore, so I'm interested to see how Spiral turns out.

Shotgun carousel (VI) was easily the most memorable trap in the entire series, and my personal favourite. Really interesting on the psychological horror front. Kind of like the trolley problem, except with a little Russian roulette thrown into the mix.

Back