Most hated subject

• Thread starter 4362
  • Start date
Math. Not because I'm bad at it (I'm actually pretty good at it, I can survive on tests and quizzes and not worry about homework), but because of how BORING it is. Half the time I'm ready to fall asleep.
Man, am i the only one who actually likes math? I'm pretty good at it, and I find it pretty fun. Especially Trigonometry as well as quadratic equations.

For me, it would be English. Why? Well...
You have to literally analyze Every. Single. Word. from a book, find out it's meaning, why the author used the word, and what it signifies...

You have to translate Shakespearean English to regular English, as well as write poems in Iambic Pentameter. You also have to find out what Shakespeare was thinking when writing the sonnet.

It's just too much to handle.

Reactions: Hayleia
Man, am i the only one who actually likes math? I'm pretty good at it, and I find it pretty fun. Especially Trigonometry as well as quadratic equations.

For me, it would be English. Why? Well...
You have to literally analyze Every. Single. Word. from a book, find out it's meaning, why the author used the word, and what it signifies...

You have to translate Shakespearean English to regular English, as well as write poems in Iambic Pentameter. You also have to find out what Shakespeare was thinking when writing the sonnet.

It's just too much to handle.
Trust me, English is a REALLY close second lol
The thing is, I'll use English more than I'll ever use math

Reactions: 532
Trust me, English is a REALLY close second lol
The thing is, I'll use English more than I'll ever use math
Huh. Exact opposite for me. I'll have to use Trigonometry as well as slope and similar concepts in the air force. As far as I know, there is no spot for a Military writer/poet....

:p

Even if there was, I'd NEVER apply for a position that bad.

Huh. Exact opposite for me. I'll have to use Trigonometry as well as slope and similar concepts in the air force. As far as I know, there is no spot for a Military writer/poet....

:p

Even if there was, I'd NEVER apply for a position that bad.
Yes there is.
It's called Public Affairs :p

And yeah, I know that you'll use math as a pilot, but I was talking about for me haha :p

Yes there is.
It's called Public Affairs :p

And yeah, I know that you'll use math as a pilot, but I was talking about for me haha :p
I think it even applies for you. As a PJ, you will need to know how long the stranded personnel will be able to survive, calulate blood loss, etc.

I think it even applies for you. As a PJ, you will need to know how long the stranded personnel will be able to survive, calulate blood loss, etc.
Golden hour for survival, that doesn't take math. I'm not an expert, but I don't think blood loss estimates take math.

Honestly, I have to agree with him.

So you agree that there is no need to understand the world we live in? You agree that it's useless to know how society functions as it does? I have no problem with someone disliking social studies, but to call it useless or say there is no need for it is downright ignorant.

So you agree that there is no need to understand the world we live in? You agree that it's useless to know how society functions as it does? I have no problem with someone disliking social studies, but to call it useless or say there is no need for it is downright ignorant.
As far as I can tell, people are that way despite social studies xD

Did you really just say that? ._.
Oops... Never mind:banghead: Lol, I think we should learn Ss but not too in depth.. GAHH, never mind, I hate no subjects

you dont learn something in social studies,if you have an really asocial teacher,that seems to be just there to get mad
Srsly,whats her problem when i drink coke in school?I already am half dead when i arrive

I complettely agree with @AliTheAce (except that it was French for me, not English :p). Maths are easy and useful. French class shouldn't even be called this way since it doesn't teach French, it teaches about reading what is not written in texts. And if maths are abstract, it's because they are the base of everything (well ok, not the base of philosophy, but I wasn't aware people were able to think nowadays). Even physics is abstract sometimes but already relies on maths.

Math will represent my least favorable choice. It's one of those subjects that I'm forced to look for applications in the real world in order to garner my interest in it, if only slightly.

Plus, I only excel in this area from all of the natural talent and none of the dedication or effort, as is inverse for more interesting subjects such as English (best language) or any science.

M3Z1FLZ.jpg

No amount of natural talent is getting me through this. Please, I understood what a limit was before I saw this... How did you manage to take away that knowledge straight from my head...? :cry:

Conversely, my favorite "subject" is engineering. Not only does it encompass the sciences concerning themselves with real-life empirical evidence and observation (none of those pertinent absent "ideal" situations), it.... APPLIES MATH AUTOMATICALLY WITH NONE OF THAT CONCEPTUAL SPIEL.

Drama and probably Physics. I never learn Physics in school but once in cram school, gave me a headache.
Drama isn't too bad when I can go on a field trip or watching people perform but I really hate it when I have to perform myself! (so I dropped it)

Math will represent my least favorable choice. It's one of those subjects that I'm forced to look for applications in the real world in order to garner my interest in it, if only slightly.
Conversely, my favorite "subject" is engineering. Not only does it encompass the sciences concerning themselves with real-life empirical evidence and observation (none of those pertinent absent "ideal" situations), it.... APPLIES MATH AUTOMATICALLY WITH NONE OF THAT CONCEPTUAL SPIEL.
Well that's because Maths are useful in more than just engineering, so they have to remove all applications from Maths, then all other subjects are applications of Maths (well, not all but you see what I mean). That's why Maths are abstract and Engineering applies it without conceptual things. But you need to understand those concepts you apply...

Well that's because Maths are useful in more than just engineering, so they have to remove all applications from Maths, then all other subjects are applications of Maths (well, not all but you see what I mean). That's why Maths are abstract and Engineering applies it without conceptual things. But you need to understand those concepts you apply...
I see what you mean and I agree... Somewhat. When you're learning from a teacher or professor, they teach it to you the way they see the subject. And the problem is, I'm an engineer. The highest level of math I'll ever need to use is probably trigonometry.

However, my professor is a math major, so he sees the conceptual side of mathematics (in this case Calculus). He goes waaay too deep into the concepts that all hope for application is lost. Engineers don't need to understand why a limit exists, prove how a derivative works, or use set theory to explain a particular Maclaurin series. We just need to know 1+1 = 2.

Overall, I chose the subject I hate the most as parallel to the one I'll least likely ever major in. I'd never fathom going that deep into math. It's not that interesting in the slightest. It's merely a tool of universal communication to me.

Last edited:
I see what you mean and I agree... Somewhat. When you're learning from a teacher or professor, they teach it to you the way they see the subject. And the problem is, I'm an engineer. The highest level of math I'll ever need to use is probably trigonometry.

However, my professor is a math major, so he sees the conceptual side of mathematics (in this case Calculus). He goes waaay too deep into the concepts that all hope for application is lost. Engineers don't need to understand why a limit exists, prove how a derivative works, or use set theory to explain a particular Maclaurin series. We just need to know 1+1 = 2.
Well that's kind of what I implied but didn't say in what I said :p
Basically, they can't really afford to do only engineering-oriented maths for your need, because then chemists (for exemple and among other people) would need chemistry-oriented maths, and then they would have tons of math subjects that teach basically the same things... And it would be so stupid that no, they just teach nothing-oriented maths for everyone and then you apply them in your engineering courses, or in your chemistry courses. And yeah, that implies learning useless things like "what is a limit exactly even if you know what it is basically".

Overall, I chose the subject I hate the most as parallel to the one I'll least likely ever major in. I'd never fathom going that deep into math. It's not that interesting in the slightest. It's merely a tool of universal communication to me.
I agree with your argument, and your conclusion is your choice so even if I don't agree, I understand :D

Arts class. I have always been bad at drawing, sewing and making things in general.

My least favorite, or more like most hated, subject is Math! It's incredibly tiring and boring, but if you get distracted even for a moment, you will be left behind so easily! It's annoying, I missed just ONE class because I overslept and didn't go and I missed out on so many things, that I couldn't even catch up! We are talking about missing ONE 2-hour-long session and being left behind so much, you lose all hope! Math has two HUGE problems, first, it's tiring and boring, so it's easy to get distracted or just space out. The other problem though, is that if you have trouble understanding something, that's it, you failed! You get stuck in one thing, the class moves on, then these things pile up until the point you say "I give up!" and take the class again next year! One more thing about math, like @Luna, I do that kind of math and since we learn about electronics and other relative things, we deal a lot of complex numbers, which is more annoying than anything mentioned before! I can't even remotely feel any interest in those. Sure, they do have applications in real life, but I am a person that goes with absolute logic, so I can't even understand how they can call those numbers "imaginary", but at the same time saying that they are real?! It doesn't make sense at all!

Sure, they do have applications in real life, but I am a person that goes with absolute logic, so I can't even understand how they can call those numbers "imaginary", but at the same time saying that they are real?! It doesn't make sense at all!
If you really were a person that goes with absolute logic, Math would be your favorite subject. Because math is only logic. It's deducing conclusions from hypotheses... without caring about the fact those hypotheses might never get true in real life and without caring about a possible application for the conclusion because that's physicists' job. All we care about is the logic that led from the hypotheses to the conclusion.

And no one said that those "imaginary" numbers were "real". On the contrary, most of the time they are not (they are in C, not bounded to R). C is actually a plane where R is a line (included in C), which allows you to solve more probems, including ones from R. Just imagine that R only allows you to walk on the ground and C allows you to fly (ok, in my example I'm doing 2D→3D but it's still adding a dimension, like 1D→2D).

And you should not complain too much about complexes because if you take higher level maths, you'll deal with spaces that don't even contain numbers, with dimensions that can be more than 4, even infinite, so if you can't picture numbers on a 2D plane, you won't get anything that you're told there :p

It's incredibly tiring and boring, but if you get distracted even for a moment, you will be left behind so easily! It's annoying, I missed just ONE class because I overslept and didn't go and I missed out on so many things, that I couldn't even catch up! We are talking about missing ONE 2-hour-long session and being left behind so much, you lose all hope!
Lol, I don't agree about the distraction part :p
When I was in high school, I was in the last row in the classroom, programming things on my calculator without listening to the teacher (because last time I listened, he said something he already said before) and still had the best grades in my class (not true for other subjects though :p). And even at the final high school exam (baccalauréat), I spent more time playing Chess on my calculator than thinking about the exam, and only answered questions because I was losing at Chess (not the game I'm best at :p)... and I still got my best grade for the exam in Maths (I don't remember what, but I know it was above 18/20 or I would have been disappointed, which I was not).

Thing is @Hayleia , I'm in University now and we do a LOT more math than in high school! Also, a LOT more complicated!

Back