Solution to Piracy

• Thread starter ErixSan
  • Start date
ErixSan

ErixSan

Somehow still top 3 poster after 3 years.
Towns Folk
I made a thread about the piracy problem it will start...
And there are my own solutions of it:

1. Street-pass / Spot-pass updating
This is a good idea, but with nand backup, I don't think it will be effective.

2. Games with updates included
This will be a mortal hit actually because Nintendo can block the access. (Anyways, they should buy the card and learn it's code)

3. Drop prices
Yeah, some prices on eShop for old retail games are kinda expensive than the retail game. Big mistake.

4. Change cartridges system
They can only pirate physical games, so they must change how they works a little and make an update.

Any extra solutions?

We cannot stop technology, including piracy. There would be anyone developing those, I believe. Let's just dedicate to your favorite game franchise, buy original game (either retail or digital), and give those developers constructive feedbacks.

Reactions: 18
We cannot stop technology, including piracy. There would be anyone developing those, I believe. Let's just dedicate to your favorite game franchise, buy original game (either retail or digital), and give those developers constructive feedbacks.

I know. But I want to create software once I get graduated from university, so I feel bad when piracy happens...

Well, devs need to show more support too...

I know. But I want to create software once I get graduated from university, so I feel bad when piracy happens...

Well, devs need to show more support too...
Well yeah, if your truly passionate about creating programs, piracy will literally have an affect on your job but anyways its good to see you guys feeling this way about Anti-Piracy.

I agree with @dwikrid people like me who really can't do much towards the piracy (can't program) but I can support the Nintendo and their products also give them feedback, I can also suggest ways to stop it so people like @Erixsan could try to fix it. @Erixsan is it possible if Nintendo can do an auto upgrade once connected to the internet?

Well yeah, if your truly passionate about creating programs, piracy will literally have an affect on your job but anyways its good to see you guys feeling this way about Anti-Piracy.

I agree with @dwikrid people like me who really can't do much towards the piracy (can't program) but I can support the Nintendo and their products also give them feedback, I can also suggest ways to stop it so people like @Erixsan could try to fix it. @Erixsan is it possible if Nintendo can do an auto upgrade once connected to the internet?

That would be possible, (PS3 is an example) but it's really easy to cancel it...

That would be possible, (PS3 is an example) but it's really easy to cancel it...
Well yeah but how much will users try to avoid it, surely after some time connecting through the internet they will get annoyed and force to update

Well yeah but how much will users try to avoid it, surely after some time connecting through the internet they will get annoyed and force to update
not necessarily. Wii updates were done via WiiConnect24 which automatically updates via Internet. Many smart hackers disable this after installing Homebrew and all that so Nintendo can't really do anything about it in that regard

The more you try to block piracy the more loopholes it opens. As far as I know pirating games for PS2, PS1, GameCube and such is much more difficult than pirating them for the PSP or 3DS. At least the former require non-rewritable media. :p

Reactions: ShinyLatios
I used to play illegal games from NES, PS1, and PS2. It's because any of that console you buy in my country is already modded so it can play those games.
When I decided to buy 3DS, I knew the consequences: I must buy original game that is not suited to my budget, since I have been only doing some freelance works. I need to save money.
But it worth. Because it is not a fruitless effort. I bought 3DS and the games by myself. There's a feeling you cannot get from downloading illegal games. That is, achievement. At least that's what I felt. On the other hand, yes... Buying original games means that you have your respect toward those developers.

I used to play illegal games from NES, PS1, and PS2. It's because any of that console you buy in my country is already modded so it can play those games.
When I decided to buy 3DS, I knew the consequences: I must buy original game that is not suited to my budget, since I have been only doing some freelance works. I need to save money.
But it worth. Because it is not a fruitless effort. I bought 3DS and the games by myself. There's a feeling you cannot get from downloading illegal games. That is, achievement. At least that's what I felt. On the other hand, yes... Buying original games means that you have your respect toward those developers.
Problem with buying original games now is that they're not produced by the developers anymore and money doesn't really go to them (example: SNES and its games). With the said though, yeah, there's something satisfying about playing games on the console it was made for originally

I will develop a final solution for piracy, one day!

I will develop a final solution for piracy, one day!
good luck with that haha I mean, there are bound to be hackers that'll find exploits with the anti-piracy methods set (perhaps even to the extent of creating an unofficial build of the console itself if they're that ambitious)

good luck with that haha I mean, there are bound to be hackers that'll find exploits with the anti-piracy methods set (perhaps even to the extent of creating an unofficial build of the console itself if they're that ambitious)
I actually have my plan, already. I'm just not going to say how it works, since I actually run a company.

Plus, it's not going to work for awhile. It works offline, so you have a snowball's chance in hell of using the classic "Disable WiFi." method.

Produce an unofficial build of the console? Perhaps. I don't see it easily occurring, what with lawsuits and all, but I could see pirates doing that.

I actually have my plan, already. I'm just not going to say how it works, since I actually run a company.

Plus, it's not going to work for awhile. It works offline, so you have a snowball's chance in hell of using the classic "Disable WiFi." method.

Produce an unofficial build of the console? Perhaps. I don't see it easily occurring, what with lawsuits and all, but I could see pirates doing that.
Oh cool, perhaps your plan could work after all if you've thought it out like that. And yeah, I don't see an unofficial build of the console happening likely either, but it's hard to deny the possibility

Generally, anti-piracy doesn't work like that. It's because pirated games send an opcode to the system that would says "Read Memory Address at 0x0f500da8" (example), that Anti-Piracy comes, check the value at memory address, and if it is different, it "destroys" the game context, or send a "kill screen" to the system to avoid further memory operations.

--> Unofficial builds are more dangerous, since thee people who hack on official games will now try to modify the kernel, or produce something else.

The best, even if it seems awkward, would be having no USB port, no Disk Drive. Only the hard disk and TV cables. Plus the system hardware.

But I don't think that people who have no-Internet access would agree with this. I'll keep searching.

Generally, anti-piracy doesn't work like that. It's because pirated games send an opcode to the system that would says "Read Memory Address at 0x0f500da8" (example), that Anti-Piracy comes, check the value at memory address, and if it is different, it "destroys" the game context, or send a "kill screen" to the system to avoid further memory operations.

--> Unofficial builds are more dangerous, since thee people who hack on official games will now try to modify the kernel, or produce something else.

The best, even if it seems awkward, would be having no USB port, no Disk Drive. Only the hard disk and TV cables. Plus the system hardware.

But I don't think that people who have no-Internet access would agree with this. I'll keep searching.
problem is, USB port is available on multiple consoles now and fans would likely get annoyed if they were to "downgrade" it. Furthermore, the disk drive thing is kinda needed for games nowadays to work given that they've stopped using cartridges lol

Yes, that's why every company have trouble with console and piracy.
Because if you remove the DD/USB, you remove a lot of the piracy, but the fans won't like. Even if you create your new USB-like storage format, bad people will use it and hack again.

Yes, that's why every company have trouble with console and piracy.
Because if you remove the DD/USB, you remove a lot of the piracy, but the fans won't like. Even if you create your new USB-like storage format, bad people will use it and hack again.
on the bright side though, the hardware is complex enough that people can't really emulate them so easily now. I mean DS emulators, Wii emulators, and Gamecube emulators on PC were slow from what I've heard, so I bet Wii U and 3DS systems are going to be nearly impossible to emulate anytime soon xD

I've tried to emulate 3DS on PC, by coding one by scratch.
I was simply able to create a blank, 128MB array + 32MB Graphic Array for the RAM and VRAM.

I've tried to emulate 3DS on PC, by coding one by scratch.
I was simply able to create a blank, 128MB array + 32MB Graphic Array for the RAM and VRAM.
oh, so it's actually possible with current PC technologies? Well, bound to happen I guess. It's not too functional though is it?

Back