Solution to Piracy

• Thread starter ErixSan
  • Start date
With current PC technology, you can emulate a 3DS. Even a WiiU. But the hard thing is simulating things like the 3D effect of the 3DS (The user must have a 3D screen + those NVIDIA 3D Vision thing), or the gamepad of the WiiU (as you may need to add all controls and functionalities into the code, and you'll probably make the GP in another window, so you should transfer all data between the two window). And you should note that you'll need the WiiU specifications, so you'll need a 3rd blank array that would be used for "swapping" memory between the system and the gamepad.

With current PC technology, you can emulate a 3DS. Even a WiiU. But the hard thing is simulating things like the 3D effect of the 3DS (The user must have a 3D screen + those NVIDIA 3D Vision thing), or the gamepad of the WiiU (as you may need to add all controls and functionalities into the code, and you'll probably make the GP in another window, so you should transfer all data between the two window). And you should note that you'll need the WiiU specifications, so you'll need a 3rd blank array that would be used for "swapping" memory between the system and the gamepad.

Well, if you want to emulate, you will need more power.
The PS2 and the Wii are hard to emulate, and talking about the Wii U, you will need at least 16GB of ram and 6 Ghz of CPU, and at least a 2 GB GPU

Not necessarily, as I have said, the actual technology allow this. You would just have to create a "swap memory" array + the "VRAM (WiiU)" Array and the RAM Array. Generally, you declare them as an unsigned 32-bits variables, as maximum allowed values on a console/computer (32) is 0xffffffff (4294967295 as extreme positive, -2147483648 as extreme negative).

So you would create those arrays, then start building your decoder, the CPU instructs set, and the remaining thing.
As for the PS2, it doesn't necessarily need that power. On my laptop, it even use 512MB (max) of memory, and my Processor goes up to 10% only (system excluded).

The hardest thing is just converting ARM-RISC-MIPS-x64 based things into x86 or x86_64.

(I won't say the 64-bit thing, as it goes farther than milliards. And MIPS is dead normally, but was formerly used in the N64 and in one of the PS2 chipset.)

Not necessarily, as I have said, the actual technology allow this. You would just have to create a "swap memory" array + the "VRAM (WiiU)" Array and the RAM Array. Generally, you declare them as an unsigned 32-bits variables, as maximum allowed values on a console/computer (32) is 0xffffffff (4294967295 as extreme positive, -2147483648 as extreme negative).

So you would create those arrays, then start building your decoder, the CPU instructs set, and the remaining thing.
As for the PS2, it doesn't necessarily need that power. On my laptop, it even use 512MB (max) of memory, and my Processor goes up to 10% only (system excluded).

The hardest thing is just converting ARM-RISC-MIPS-x64 based things into x86 or x86_64.

(I won't say the 64-bit thing, as it goes farther than milliards. And MIPS is dead normally, but was formerly used in the N64 and in one of the PS2 chipset.)
so basically, as long as you don't decide to invest time into making a 3DS/Wii U emulator there won't be a functional one made any time soon :p (this honestly is the first I've heard of a possibility of a working one)

on the bright side though, the hardware is complex enough that people can't really emulate them so easily now. I mean DS emulators, Wii emulators, and Gamecube emulators on PC were slow from what I've heard, so I bet Wii U and 3DS systems are going to be nearly impossible to emulate anytime soon xD
Wii and DS emulation is pretty solid actually if you have a decent PC, and 3DS emulation is obviously existing, although it's only distributed to devs. Think about it, if they didn't exist everytime the developer made the smallest change they'd have to make a new cartridge to test it.

Wii and DS emulation is pretty solid actually if you have a decent PC, and 3DS emulation is obviously existing, although it's only distributed to devs. Think about it, if they didn't exist everytime the developer made the smallest change they'd have to make a new cartridge to test it.
my definition of it being possible to emulate is that it's able to run at a relatively good rate of speed similar to the original console itself. Virtually any PC nowadays can do that with systems up to N64 and GBA. Anything beyond that most cases will have reduced speed to make it work. But yeah, like you said the key word is "decent PC"

Otherwise, Emulators Devs must optimize their codes, and are limited to a few programming languages (such as C++), to make an emulator good and running to a good rate (So, Java, Get OUT !)

my definition of it being possible to emulate is that it's able to run at a relatively good rate of speed similar to the original console itself. Virtually any PC nowadays can do that with systems up to N64 and GBA. Anything beyond that most cases will have reduced speed to make it work. But yeah, like you said the key word is "decent PC"
I've gotten Wii games to play just fine, (I don't own a Wii but I own the games so with a PC bluetooth device I can play with Emu) so yeah.

I've gotten Wii games to play just fine, (I don't own a Wii but I own the games so with a PC bluetooth device I can play with Emu) so yeah.
eh ok. Maybe Dolphin made some legit updates and such in the years I haven't been paying attention to how things are working for it then

eh ok. Maybe Dolphin made some legit updates and such in the years I haven't been paying attention to how things are working for it then
Actually Dolphin has always had a disk reading function. I had one of the early builds so it's only not legit if you don't buy the game.

Actually Dolphin has always had a disk reading function. I had one of the early builds so it's only not legit if you don't buy the game.
When I say legit I mean in terms of running the games and frame-rate and all that. I've known that it's had a disk reading function and that you could try some weird configurations to get it to recognize a Wiimote and all that

The 3DS could be emulated, but it would take a lot more than just the resources of the 3DS, since you would -- if you wanted accurate emulation -- have to replicate it completely. There are numerous APIs that go into it.

Wii U is currently impossible to emulate on standard hardware.

The 3DS could be emulated, but it would take a lot more than just the resources of the 3DS, since you would -- if you wanted accurate emulation -- have to replicate it completely. There are numerous APIs that go into it.

Wii U is currently impossible to emulate on standard hardware.

So, the 3DS would be ok to do, but computer-resources-expensive, and the Wii U is out of the emulation ?
(I would be in a crazy state, if, like, in 5 years, they discover how to emulate it.)

So, the 3DS would be ok to do, but computer-resources-expensive, and the Wii U is out of the emulation ?
(I would be in a crazy state, if, like, in 5 years, they discover how to emulate it.)
You'd need a huge programming team, which is why -- as far as I know -- there is no fully-functional DS emulator. They all have issues.

Yes, even the most advanced, DeSMumE, has issues. But it is the only one to support Nintendo Wi-Fi, through a cable.

Dolphin is so big. My PC can't take it D:

You'd need a huge programming team, which is why -- as far as I know -- there is no fully-functional DS emulator. They all have issues.
The day we have a fully-functional DS emulator is the day we have a somewhat legit 3DS emulator (minus the 3D obviously). For all we know it could be a long ways away

Dolphin is so big. My PC can't take it D:

I have heard that they have updated it. Now, only people who own a Win7/Win8 computer can run it. (Yes, it now uses DirectX 10/11).

But my PC is very old and slow :(. He can run project 64 but not perfect.
I have heard that they have updated it. Now, only people who own a Win7/Win8 computer can run it. (Yes, it now uses DirectX 10/11).

Yes. Technology evolves, but too fast.

Back