Thoughts on the NX being a cross handheld/console?

• Thread starter superwill123
  • Start date
superwill123

superwill123

The Streaming Protagonist
Towns Folk
Hey guys, I thought of a possible idea for the NX: what if it was a console that would have something like a wii u tablet that could also be a portable system? it could be that it's nicnamed the NX . tell me your thoughts on this?

I personally wouldn't want it to be released so soon, hopefully in 2-3 more years.
I wouldn't like the NX to be crossover, but whatever makes Nintendo sucessful will satisfy me.

I always thought the code name "NX" was supposed to sounds like "next".

The cross-over theory is interesting though, as there are rumours of a Smash game coming to the NX. A popular theory I've since on the internet (which really accounts to nothing lol but whatever) is that it will be a special edition combining elements of Smash 3DS and Wii U. If the NX were a crossover system, I guess that would be fitting. But I don't know, this console is still so very mysterious.

I really do hope it is, Even though we don't have much info.
I'm hoping for it to be a home console and a on the go handheld that can play Wii u and 3ds games.
I'm also hoping that the Wii u gamepad and 3ds could be used as remotes when you play the nx.
Its probably not gonna come out till late 2017 or early 2018 but its never to early to start talking about it being a crossover!

Another smash bros game will probably not happen. I am a firm believer of this. I hope that the nx is a crossover device or a device that is odd, because I like Nintendo for their odd ways of stuff. I think that they will release separate though, the handheld nx and the home console.

I'd like Nintendo to combine handheld with home console, but in a different way.

A handheld console with the overall power and memory of a home console (The ps vita is about the same in specs as the ps3 for example) with an optional add on to play the games on TV (and if applicable, HD)

Something to note, the PS Vita is actually more powerful than even the Wii U, with a max clock speed of 2.0 ghz (...!) And Ninty can do wonders with far less than that.

I'd like Nintendo to combine handheld with home console, but in a different way.

A handheld console with the overall power and memory of a home console (The ps vita is about the same in specs as the ps3 for example) with an optional add on to play the games on TV (and if applicable, HD)

Something to note, the PS Vita is actually more powerful than even the Wii U, with a max clock speed of 2.0 ghz (...!) And Ninty can do wonders with far less than that.
I hope you are totally joking with that psp vita statement, because I laughed real hard. Both statements were severely untrue, and the ps vita has pretty outdated specs. I seriously hope you are joking, because your statement is completely untrue. God, I hate the sony bias these days.

Before you argue with me, the fact is, current handhelds are not more powerful than current home consoles. The psp vita is much less powerful than a wii u.

The ps3 has better specs than the vita also. Just hope you are joking.

Reactions: BlazingPhoenix

*slaps* how dare you insult much wiiu! The PS vita is one of the weakest pieces of metal compared to any home console, heck it is practically on par with consoles twice or three times its age! No, but aside from my saltyness, I hope it doesn't become a full out tablet, because I want a wired controller in my hand playing some good old non touchscreen Zelda, I want no gimmicks, none of that stuff, heck I don't really even care about portability, the virtual boy was the "portable home console" and look where it ended up!

Reactions: TheSpiritedWarrior
*slaps* how dare you insult much wiiu! The PS vita is one of the weakest pieces of metal compared to any home console, heck it is practically on par with consoles twice or three times its age! No, but aside from my saltyness, I hope it doesn't become a full out tablet, because I want a wired controller in my hand playing some good old non touchscreen Zelda, I want no gimmicks, none of that stuff, heck I don't really even care about portability, the virtual boy was the "portable home console" and look where it ended up!
Yeah, get rekt!

The vita is truly terrible and the 3ds is much better than that worthless piece of crap.

I predict 2 different awesome devices for the nx. One is a handheld, which will either come this or next year. The home console will come either 2017 or 2018. I don't believe in 2 devices in one box type of crap, nor do I believe in big large gimmicks. I still do not know if it will beat the ps5 or the xbox 2, though I hope the nx is pretty awesome and does not become a complete flop.

Reactions: BlazingPhoenix
*sigh* Perhaps you could both read the post AND do the research?

A simple google search would yield you results, and I'm not saying the ps vita is better than either the 3ds or wii u, I'm saying it's more powerful.

Max PS Vita clock speed is about 2.0 ghz, of these, about 1.5 are used for applications, the Wii U has a clock rate of 1.24 ghz, unknown as of now how they are shared.

The only thing the Wii U beats out the PS Vita, is in ram, btw, I'm talking about technical specs, but perhaps you two don't even know what that is? The vita is far superior to the ps2, and about equal to the ps3, the new 3ds is superior to the gamecube, and, again, about equal to the Wii, know that I said NEW 3ds, the old one is actually inferior to the Wii.

What does this mean? The Vita beats out the New 3DS in specs, it is also equal to the PS3, an older generation home console which beats out the Wii U in most specs.

While this means that sony consoles are more powerful than Ninty's console, I didn't say they were better, Ninty has a better library of games and support to their consoles, they also use their lower specs far better than Sony consoles, but that's it, imo Ninty is better than Sony indeed.

Reaching the final point, my preference for a portable console as powerful as a home console, is because portable consoles generally sell better than home consoles (don't even try to deny that) yet home consoles do have their market. Allowing a portable console as powerful as a home console to connect to TV for HD visuals is NOT a gimmick, it's giving both markets a simple solution, high quality games (thanks to higher specs than a regular portable console, which DO allow for better games, and draws the attention of developers) for people who like portable consoles, and HD+TV connection for those who like home consoles.

Please, someone with a non-biased, reasonable and functional brain come outo_O

Reactions: Slayerpon Tatsu and Hayleia
I'm too lazy to check the specs of all consoles (especially Vita vs Wii U), but yeah, if one side says "The vita is truly terrible and the 3ds is much better than that worthless piece of crap", then I join the other side, if we're talking about specs (Vita vs 3DS is pretty obvious) :p
Now, the fact it's more powerful doesn't mean it's better. I like to have more than 0 interesting games to play on a console when I buy one...

Now, handheld or home console ? Well, I feel like I already wrote that several times, but in my opinion, home consoles are a plague for the video game industry. Except Nintendo who still care more about games and players than money (they need money so they try to sell Amiibos and DLC, but at least they don't have paid online services...), home consoles are just trying to compete with PCs and they just lose. Then, since they don't have any argument, they make exclusives, so that you have an excuse to buy them, but that's really just an excuse. Because of that, you're paying 50€+200€ (very low prices, you probably paid twice more) to play Halo on a XBox ? Even though Halo is a FPS, best played on a PC with a mouse, and you already own a PC ? See what I mean by "plague" ?

Reactions: Blue Knight
No to mention, dividing the games through 2 consoles (home and portable) has it's share of problems too.

1: Devs do need to learn how to properly program for the console, just having a SDK doesn't mean you're a god who can make the best, most efficient game ever, that's why early in the console's lifetime, the best (and usually only good) games for the console are first party, for obvious reasons.

2: for people who cannot afford 2 consoles + games for each, they would usually choose the one with most good games, so by choosing one, the other loses a potential sale, this is far more common than you would think.

Having a single console would allow devs to focus on that one, make better games, and of course, sell more since there is only that option, and thus both software and hardware sales would increase. I mean, let's take this hypothetical scenerio, if the 3ds and wii u were a single console like I'm saying, with the wii u's specs what would be the result? All the awesome 3ds games (and better, thanks to better specs) plus the wii u games, costs would decrease thanks to lack of gamepad (expensive stuff) and you take the sales of both consoles' software and hardware and combine them, plus more if more people decide on it since it's a single console.

On another note, Ninty should remove 3D altogether, since THAT is a gimmick nkt everyone uses, generates more work for devs and rises production costs. The gamepad is on the same boat, a gimmick that rises production costs, is tough to program for and cumbersome to apply ideas with.

Reactions: Hayleia
Alright, we have basically ruined this thread with this debate, lets just copy and paste are arguments to a different thread, which i will make, understand?

Alright, we have basically ruined this thread with this debate, lets just copy and paste are arguments to a different thread, which i will make, understand?
I don't think it's been ruined, I gave my opinion and my reasons for it, which is the purpose of the thread AFAIK.

I don't think it's been ruined, I gave my opinion and my reasons for it, which is the purpose of the thread AFAIK.
Not blaming any one person, but yeah this is a "what do you think the NX will be like" and it turned into "the wiiu<PS vita" and "no it isn't". For real lets just get back to the topic at hand and quit being salty, and that is not just to you but me and others included. I personaly want a gamecube-like console, i LOVED the way that controller fits in my hand, and i dont care for a screen as long as a get a comfy controller. Heck, the only controller i like is the gamecube controller, playstation 2 is too flimsy, same with sega, wii is not complicated, which is a pro for some but a con for me, and the wiiu controller was just a pain in the neck to charge.

I highly doubt it would be a crossover. The main problem with that is most people like their handhelds to be handhelds and their consoles to be consoles. They don't like having their handheld stuck to one place, and probably don't appreciate their console be taken everywhere in their bags. It's better to just leave it as one or the other, not to mix them both up.

Reactions: Hayleia
I highly doubt it would be a crossover. The main problem with that is most people like their handhelds to be handhelds and their consoles to be consoles. They don't like having their handheld stuck to one place, and probably don't appreciate their console be taken everywhere in their bags. It's better to just leave it as one or the other, not to mix them both up.
There's no nees to "mix" them up, not really anyway.

Simply putting an add-on that allows you to play on TV using the actual console as a controller, it could be sold both as a bundle with the console or and separately, for those who like more portable consoles and those who prefer home consoles, it wouldn't be any different, and actually better than the wii u gamepad >.<

I would like that. I think that sounds pretty innovative to me.

Having a portable console as powerful as a home console, that can optionally connect to TV for HD support would include all the advantages of both portable and home consoles, while having none of the disadvantages, plus the advantage of having a single system, thus more sales, and more efficient software development by 3rd party companies.

There's literally no disadvantage to it

Reactions: Doctor Strange
Having a portable console as powerful as a home console, that can optionally connect to TV for HD support would include all the advantages of both portable and home consoles, while having none of the disadvantages, plus the advantage of having a single system, thus more sales, and more efficient software development by 3rd party companies.

There's literally no disadvantage to it
Exactly.

Back