What changes to battling do you think will happen in Gen 7?

• Thread starter 3905
  • Start date
Battle changes i am excepting form gen 7 are listed below-

-Base power hidden power should be increase to 80 and want to see hidden power fairy

-Pokemon should be able to learn at 5 moves ,it will quite help for competitive players

-and, have mercy on cute pokemon and give them mega evolution (mega pachrisu, plz :p)

80 power might be too much in certain Pokémon, and wouldn't be able to be exploitable for Techniccian, I guess if they ever increase HP base power, they should make it 70 (like it was before gen 6), and having a HP Fairy would be impossible, unless you want to be unable to send your 6th gen or prior Pokemon to gen 7 (pretty much a 2nd gen -> 3rd gen 2.0)

Having 5 moves would harm the metagame much more than it would help, making a game that is already a quite unbalanced game even more unbalanced. 4 Moves is just the right amount

I agree, we need more Mega Pachirisu

Reactions: Mr. Kream
I'm just gonna list the items I want
  • Special rocky helmet. Mythical Rock?
  • Trick room extender. Name item here.
That's the items I want
And make things more balanced like Unown using their physical attack like it was before the physical special split. Like Dark being special and some move that is physical in Gen 2 be physical for Unown.
Basically I'm putting out a small wish list and not what I think will happen

An item that stops recoil. Maybe it can have a drawback like speed reduced by 15%.

I'm just gonna list the items I want
  • Special rocky helmet. Mythical Rock?
  • Trick room extender. Name item here.
That's the items I want
And make things more balanced like Unown using their physical attack like it was before the physical special split. Like Dark being special and some move that is physical in Gen 2 be physical for Unown.
Basically I'm putting out a small wish list and not what I think will happen

Rocky Helmet doesn't damage the user for Physical attacks, but for contacts moves (so special moves like Grass Knot are affactedm while Physical moves like EQ are not)

An item that stops recoil. Maybe it can have a drawback like speed reduced by 15%.

The fact that you are using an item to stop recoil instead of something that increases the damage is already balanced enough, so there is no need to have a drawback

Last edited by a moderator:
How about more dual type moves. Muddy water should do groind damage along with water.

How about more dual type moves. Muddy water should do groind damage along with water.

That would be a little OP in doubles tho :p

But it would make sense, wouldn't it.

Rip every Fire Type in that case.
Flying Press is already enough of a hassle as far as dual typing moves >.>

Rip every Fire Type in that case.
Flying Press is already enough of a hassle as far as dual typing moves >.>

Exactly

At least Fighting+Flying cancel each other super effective hits and nve hits, in a way that the only Pokemon that is 4x weak to Flying Press without being 4x weak to Fighting or Flying alone is Pangoro

A move that hits both opponents (and not your partner, unlike Surf/EQ), has a chance to drop accuracy and hits for Water and Ground damage is too OP (heck, is too OP even in singles)

I'm interested to see more moves that mix 2 different types, but there are certain types that shouldnt be together...

Nerf darkrai! It's way too fast to have a decent counter to, and dark void hits too often. It wouldn't be so bad if its ability wasn't automatic nightmare. I know prankster taunt or rawst/lum berry on a strong fairy, but how many of you have either of those every time you fqce one? I can think of 3 ways to nerf it: drop it base speed by about 20, so others can outspeed it, drop dark void's accuracy to 50, so it will actually miss sometimes, or give dark void negative priority, so you have at least one turn to do something about it. I have beaten one before, but dark void missed my sylveon twice, which gave it time to use heal bell to wake up the other mon that it hit, and moonblast to get rid of darkrai.

Nerf darkrai! It's way too fast to have a decent counter to, and dark void hits too often. It wouldn't be so bad if its ability wasn't automatic nightmare. I know prankster taunt or rawst/lum berry on a strong fairy, but how many of you have either of those every time you fqce one? I can think of 3 ways to nerf it: drop it base speed by about 20, so others can outspeed it, drop dark void's accuracy to 50, so it will actually miss sometimes, or give dark void negative priority, so you have at least one turn to do something about it. I have beaten one before, but dark void missed my sylveon twice, which gave it time to use heal bell to wake up the other mon that it hit, and moonblast to get rid of darkrai.
breloom.gif

Breloom @Life Orb
Technician
Jolly Nature
4 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Spe.
-Spore
-Mach Punch
-Rock Tomb
-Bullet Seed
Still a threat?
Base 90 Defense won't help mich against this guy =p

Have you ever fought one without that? I still need to get around to breeding one of those.

Have you ever fought one without that? I still need to get around to breeding one of those.
I have one and a I use it a lot, that's why I know it's good

How to beat Darkrai:

You don't, he is banned from every competitive (both Official and Unofficial) format besides "Free Battle" Spot, Ubers and AG

breloom.gif

Breloom @Life Orb
Technician
Jolly Nature
4 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Spe.
-Spore
-Mach Punch
-Rock Tomb
-Bullet Seed
Still a threat?
Base 90 Defense won't help mich against this guy =p

That thing is not a counter, is a check

THIS is a counter to Darkrai

xerneas-active.gif

Xerneas @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 32 Def / 252 SpA / 224 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Sleep Talk
- Thunder / Grass Knot / Nothing​

I messed around with this matchup in the damage calculator. Just changing darkrai's nature to any +def nature counters that breloom 75% of the time. And this set still gets a OHKO:
Darkrai @ life orb
Bold
Bad dreams
252 hp & def, 4 spd
Dark void, ice beam, focus blast, sludge wave(?)
Every move except focus blast is a OHKO, but mach punch takes 2 hits to ko. Then again, who actually runs darkrai like that? As for that xerneas, a max speed darkrai unscarfed still outspeeds scarfed xerneas, so you can still be hit with dark void. Sleep talk can counter that as long as your not over confident in your scarfed mon. But your opponent doesn't have to open with dark void. If they open with sludge wave and you though they would outspeed you so you used sleep talk, you just lost half your health. And may arceus have mercy on you if that poisens you, because now they have no reason to dark void you. Sleep talk will also faul to ko darkrai about a third of the time, because thunder and grass knot don't do nearly enough to ko darkrai. Back on topic, a special version of foul play. Maybe make it fairy type?

Last edited:
I messed around with this matchup in the damage calculator. Just changing darkrai's nature to any +def nature counters that breloom 75% of the time. And this set still gets a OHKO:
Darkrai @ life orb
Bold
Bad dreams
252 hp & def, 4 spd
Dark void, ice beam, focus blast, sludge wave(?)

Every move except focus blast is a OHKO, but mach punch takes 2 hits to ko. Then again, who actually runs darkrai like that? As for that xerneas, a max speed darkrai unscarfed still outspeeds scarfed xerneas, so you can still be hit with dark void. Sleep talk can counter that as long as your not over confident in your scarfed mon. But your opponent doesn't have to open with dark void. If they open with sludge wave and you though they would outspeed you so you used sleep talk, you just lost half your health. And may arceus have mercy on you if that poisens you, because now they have no reason to dark void you. Sleep talk will also faul to ko darkrai about a third of the time, because thunder and grass knot don't do nearly enough to ko darkrai. Back on topic, a special version of foul play. Maybe make it fairy type?

What kind of set is that? No STAB Darkrai? Darkrai should be Dark Void, Nasty Plot, Dark Pulse and Sludge Bomb (for Xerneas) with Max Speed max SpAtk 4def (to make Genesect get a SpAtk Boost instead of a Atk boost).
There is no reason to give Darkrai bulk to survive a Mach Punch, you can just switch out into something that can handle Breeloom

"As for that xerneas, a max speed darkrai unscarfed still outspeeds scarfed xerneas, so you can still be hit with dark void."

Xerneas speed = 290 x 1.5 = 435 (neutral 224)
Darkrai = 383 (Timid 252)
Your math is kinda off tho

"Sleep talk can counter that as long as your not over confident in your scarfed mon. But your opponent doesn't have to open with dark void"

What kind of player doesn't open with Dark Void?! Even if you are predicting Xerneas to come, your best play is still clicking Dark Void, if not, Xerneas might have a chance of set up Geomancy and sweep, and if you want to be safe in case the opponent is running Scarf Xerneas, you Dark Void, and switch into something that handles Xerneas (Like PDon or Klefki) to scout the Sleep Talk

I think I put the speed evs into special defense, my bad. And the mere fact you had to ask why defensive darkai is the reason to run one: you don't expect it, so it's that much harder to deal with if you don't have that xerneas. I didn't know darkrai could know sludge bomb, but I've seen sludge wave on one, so that's why I had sludge wave on it.

I think I put the speed evs into special defense, my bad. And the mere fact you had to ask why defensive darkai is the reason to run one: you don't expect it, so it's that much harder to deal with if you don't have that xerneas. I didn't know darkrai could know sludge bomb, but I've seen sludge wave on one, so that's why I had sludge wave on it.

No, even if you "don't expect" Defensive Darkrai, is still an awful set, the fact that you invest Bulk instead of SpAtk and Speed makes Darkrai even easier to deal with, and Darkrai still has paper like defenses, any strong hit kills it anyways (since now is slower, a lot outspeeds him.

tl;dr Defensive Darkrai, no matter how you look at it, is much inferior than Offensive Darkrai, the things that already handle normal Darkrai, have an easier time handling Defensive sets, and Pokémon that couldn't handle Darkrai, now can handle it easily

Last edited:
I'm just gonna say that I think your paranoia of a Darkrai has you overestimating its abilities, @MysticSniper, and leave that at that...

I, too, would love to have a method for extending TR in battle, but what I really want most next gen would be adequate support for lesser used types, namely ice and poison, as they get a lot less play than other types.

For instance, Hail has been super deserving of a buff since it's been introduced and it still hasn't got one. Any extra support outside of 100% accuracy on only one move could be severely appreciated by any ice type, GameFreak needs to do that.

I feel like new field conditions could be introduced to assist that as well, such as the introduction of something like acid rain as a weather condition, or maybe even one that heals some types by 1/16th each turn or something like that.

Just, all in all, I want more support for types we see less of to give them more common spots in today's meta. Imo Hail teams should be a standard as opposed to an underwhelming novelty.

Reactions: 3905
I hop that an HM for Defog comes back. There isn't a whole lot of things that easily get it without the HM, and it's a valuable tool that I'll need.

I hope they don't end up changing anything too drastic, like type matchups or abilities. I'll be happy with some new battle items and mega evolutions.

Back