What do you think the "NX" means in Nintendo NX?

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
think is just a code name or could it mean something??? :eek: i dont know i think its just a code name like when the DS was codenamed nitro xD but i dont really know what to think about the meaning of mysterious "X" there but i will wait till E3 on next year yay

Probably Nintendo Next 'cause is the next console of Nintendo...

Also Nintendo NeXt

Wow. A totally relevant chat and I'm incredibly late to it. I could'a signed in sooner if somebody wasn't forbidding my entry last May.

"NX" could be short for Nyx, one of the first Greek gods to emerge from chaos and create everything.
Now it could mean nothing, and I'm sure it likely does, but then that little part of me fires up with the potential meaning.

i think it'll likely be "New Cross-console" or something. similar to how the cross-transceiver in pokemon is spelled "Xtransceiver" what with the rumor of it basically being a protable console and all. the "new" cuz we all know ow clever nintendo is with naming their systems. >> (i'm looking at you, New 3DS)

Nintendo Not Xbox

I actually like the idea of it meaning NEXT, which it kind of sounds like when saying NX. I can't think of anything that NX could possible stand for. But what @Erix Summerdown said connecting NX to Nyx was really deep and interesting, considering that the NES saved gaming back in the 1980's during the video game crash and how some of Nintendo's games influenced many aspects of gaming later on. Huge props to Erix.

Reactions: MindzEye
I actually like the idea of it meaning NEXT, which it kind of sounds like when saying NX. I can't think of anything that NX could possible stand for. But what @Erix Summerdown said connecting NX to Nyx was really deep and interesting, considering that the NES saved gaming back in the 1980's during the video game crash and how some of Nintendo's games influenced many aspects of gaming later on. Huge props to Erix.
Aw gee.. Ya gonna make me blush!^~^

Reactions: ESP
Reactions: J9794
I'm curious.. what do you guys/gals think the "NX" stands for in Nintendo's newest system, the Nintendo NX?

At first I thought it was "next system" for some strange reason ._. but then I remembered the "X" so that didn't really make much sense. I'm pretty sure the "N" stands for one of the following :
  • Next
  • New
  • Nintendo
^ Those are all I could think of for now. I have no idea what the "X" might mean though >.<
I look up what NX could possibly mean by just putting in NX in the search engine. On all the sites that I looked at that are non-Nintendo related NX is apparently connected to computers, and powerful ones at that. So as for what Nintendo's codenamed console the NX it could mean that it would be potentially more powerful than the PS4 and Xbox One combined.

NX may be a codename, but I just figured out the name origins! If you exclude all the systems that weren't internationally mass produced (Color TV-Game & Game and Watch), there have been NINE console lines so far that fit the description! NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, NDS and the 3DS, that makes nine and "X" is Latin for the number 10! Since the console lines include both home consoles and portable ones, it makes sense that the NX will be both to some degree! What I'm trying to say is that NX stands for Nintendo 10, as in their 10th console line!

Last edited:
Reactions: 18
NX may be a codename, but I just figured out the name origins! If you exclude all the systems that weren't internationally mass produced (Color TV-Game & Game and Watch), there have been NINE console lines so far that fit the description! NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, NDS and the 3DS, that makes nine and "X" is Latin for the number 10! Since the console lines include both home consoles and portable one, it makes sense that the NX will be both to some degree! What I'm trying to say is that NX stands for Nintendo 10, as in their 10th console line!
You excluded GBC and GBA

You excluded GBC and GBA
I clearly said console LINES and the GB line includes all GB,GBC and GBA!

I clearly said console LINES and the GB line includes all GB,GBC and GBA!
The GameBoys are different systems and every new addition of the GameBoy was more powerful than the previous. It's like saying The PlayStations are the same system or the Xboxes

The GameBoys are different systems and every new addition of the GameBoy was more powerful than the previous. It's like saying The PlayStations are the same system or the Xboxes
See the console lines for yourself! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo#Products

All GameBoys that came after the GB were just revisions and NOT implementing new coding technology, which is what sets the console lines apart.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's

Nintendo Cross "X"

seeing as the developer kits leaked and stuffs.

They say it has a mobile console and a real console packed in it.

:3

Not Xplainable

Honesty, I have no idea what this will turn out to be.

If Nintendo is going to follow the pattern they've laid out (naming a consol one thing then switching the name to something else right before release), then I don't think NX is going to be the final name for it.

One thing's for sure, they didn't even mention it in their spot during E3 this year. Also, none of the Directs after have mentioned anything about an upcoming consol.

Maybe, just maybe, this NX thing is just a rumor made to stir up hype for a new system that isn't going to be made.

Like I said, though. I dunno what this'll actually turn out to be. I mean, I hope Nintendo's going to churn out another consol for us to enjoy, but who knows?

Maybe, just maybe, this NX thing is just a rumor made to stir up hype for a new system that isn't going to be made.

Like I said, though. I dunno what this'll actually turn out to be. I mean, I hope Nintendo's going to churn out another consol for us to enjoy, but who knows?
Now that's saying something, considering all the rumors going around like it not being as powerful as the PS4, being a console/handheld hybrid, a mobile device, and a disc-free console. And YouTubers like ReviewTechUSA criticizing Nintendo for making bad decisions with the rumored console and some videos popping up like Nintendo not even trying to keep up their competitors. Nintendo would probably be in a negative light with these rumors going around.

See the console lines for yourself! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo#Products

All GameBoys that came after the GB were just revisions and NOT implementing new coding technology, which is what sets the console lines apart.

There's enough meat in the Gameboy advance family members to say "I'm different from the Gameboys before me!" Gyro control, revolutionary coding, eventually chargers, Gamecube to GBA cords, movies on cartridges...

Furthermore, as the Wii U can play Wii games, would you call that a member of the Wii line? (Actually I would...) Or the Wii of the Gamecube line as it plays their games too? (Waitaminute!...) Heck! What's stopping us from calling all those consoles "Gamecube family" members?
I'm just saying! As our tech-power doubles every five years, the scales of grand change among consoles ought double too. I consider the Gb to Gba leap, the gc to Wii leap, and the Wii to Wii U leap as equals when it comes to new additions.

Next Xperience. Game companies love spelling Experience with an X.

Back