What made you start watching anime?

• Thread starter Sketch
  • Start date
SUPERBOSSBOO ANIME IS JAPANESSE CARTOONS :cool:

Dragon Ball Z was one of the reasons I started watching anime because when I was little my brother use to watch it all the time, and eventually got me to watch it, then I just loved the show. It was really good but this was back when the dub was being aired every week on the Funimation channel...

Reactions: SSJKID21
Well, I first got into anime sometime in April of 2011, around the time my little cousin was born. I was looking around on YouTube for a movie to watch. That was when I found out about Ponyo, the first anime movie I ever watched. I was addicted to the movie for a long time. Then I started watching it on Netflix. That was when I learned, and became addicted to, anime. On the night when we had to go to the hospital for the birth of my cousin, I watched my first anime, Fruits Basket. I was really into it at the time because of the humorous as well as the total random parts. I watched episode after episode before we were to leave, and after that, I started to branch out into other series.

Well I started reading manga and eventually became curious enough to look some of the titles up online. Then I realized I could watch them and well...here I am today still watching anime! XD Although back then I had no clue that's what it was called...

Hmm... what got e into anime? Honestly, I was watching Pokémon and reading the Pokémon Adventure manga, but, I wasn't really INTO anime/manga at the time. What got me into anime, strangely, was Future Diary/Miri Nikki. Here's the story: I had originally watched Future Diary: Another World, (the drama based upon the anime). I thought it was good, but it left me longing for more, that month, I go Hulu Plus. After looking at TV series that were similar to it, I found an anime called "The Future Diary", and thought to myself "Is that really an anime version of the show? o_O That's when I watched it. I was so into it that I would literally RUN home, just to watch the next 5 episodes, (Let me just tell you, IF YOU HAVE'NT WATCHED IT, GO AND WATCH IT NOW). After that, I took a break to watch Gundam: Build Fighters (A cute little anime similar to pokemon, but goes way deeper in its plot line). Recently, I decided to watch Kill La Kill (Its more than just fan service, you pervs!), and it had a WAY deep plot. Next, I'm planning to watch Moble Suit: Gundam Wing, then attack on titans. I've gotten to about idk, episode 10 in Moble Suit Gundam Wing, and episode 2 in attack on titans. That is my history about anime.

Many years of exposure to this from my half brothersart_pokemonCartoon.jpg

Dragon Ball Z was one of the reasons I started watching anime because when I was little my brother use to watch it all the time, and eventually got me to watch it, then I just loved the show. It was really good but this was back when the dub was being aired every week on the Funimation channel...
i respect you

Meh friend made me.

Me my friend kept on telling me to watch sword art online. So i finally gave in and started watching it. After that t was Aot and then Naruto. So what made you start watching anime?
growing up watching Naruto and Beyblade mostly. They were my way of calming down besides Digimon

growing up watching Naruto and Beyblade mostly. They were my way of calming down besides Digimon
Beyblade was an anime??? And to think Beyblade were just spinning toys of awesomeness...

Beyblade was an anime??? And to think Beyblade were just spinning toys of awesomeness...
heck yeah man! But don't be watching metal masters or current gen. Gotta go back to the old school swiggity swag goodness ya know

Reactions: 423
Well, to be honest, I am not sure. I kinda grew up around anime in a way.
First off, my dad is a fan of Miyazaki films, so we used to always watch them during family movie nights.
There was also Pokémon. My sister had some Pokémon videotapes she used to watch as a kid, so I started watching and became obsessed. I then always looked at Pokémon stuff on YouTube and found stuff about anime.
We also owned some anime items without anyone else knowing much about anime, they just the items looked cool. This included a Goku figure, a Chobits badge, a Doraemon clock, and stuff like that.
One more thing was Stupid Mario Bros, a SSB parody series on YouTube, created by Richalvarez. The character, Otacon, was obsessed with Japanese anime, so I decided to finally have a look at that kind of stuff after all that time.
Needless to say, I really enjoyed it and became addicted.

I was exposed to anime my a good childhood friend of mine. I was sleeping over at her house when I was just five years old and we stayed up really late watching Inu Yasha. From there I started drawing a lot of anime stayed pictures and watching things like Fruits Basket, Tokyo Mew Mew, Magical Do Ri Mi, Sonic X, Death Note, and a lot of other different animes. XD The list is really too long to put it all on here.

Its been about sixteen years that I have started to watch anime (gosh saying that makes me feel old) so I'm pretty familiar with it. Even if I haven't actually watched the anime someone is talking about I can pretty much name it at least lol.

I don't watch as many animes now though. If something catches my eye than I will, but its not nearly as many as it was all those years ago when I was first introduced to it.

/shrugs Animes were most of the cartoon watching I did as a kid! The Konami channel had a lot of great stuff, and most if not all of it was anime if I remember right. Yugioh, Dragon Ball Z, Pokémon (on a different channel probably), etc. I never saw any cartoons with a real sense of continuity, but most anime had that, so that's really what drew me to them.
...also most if not all 'good video games' I was exposed to branched from the eastern world as well.

Nowadays, more (western) cartoons actually have continuity, and they get less restricted funding than anime tends to, so I watch more of them now. I don't specifically seek out anime vs. cartoons because it's basically the same thing to me... I haven't watched many 'animes that anime-watchers have watched'--most of the time when I'm recommended anime strictly for that it is anime, I'm not really interested--but I'll still find some great ones every once in a while. I'm pretty sure Madoka Magicka was the most recent anime I actually watched all the way through +its movies.

Also Ghost Stories, GS is a masterpiece. But the dub (and re-sub) is the masterpiece so I'm not sure how much that counts.

Believe or not, it was when I was a little kid that I started to watch anime back then, especially when one of the local TV stations was airing Doraemon, Chibi Maruko Chan, Perman (it's dubbed as P-Man in where I live), Hamtaro and Cardcaptor Sakura, among others. I enjoyed watching them, even though back then, I just thought of anime like any regular cartoons when I was a kid.

Definitely because of Pokemon. It was my first "noob start", is what I call it.

Slowly, my kiddy anime turned into anime other people watch. I remember when I was watching Pokemon and then I turned to Nichijou, Lucky Star, Haruhi, wow, so many things.

I also liked to watch Ouran High School Host Club with my brothers.

Since when I was a kid, with these shows (Beyblade, Digimon, Pokemon, InuYasha, etc, etc...) that were airing on TV and when I grew up, I tryed to search these series again, and some friends taught me that those series were Anime, I then made searchs and found the differences between Anime and Cartoons. I found and watched series one by one until now. So, yeah!
PD: first Anime that I watched on the Internet was, iirc, Lucky*Star. Good thing to start of with.

I remember that around 2011 i got into flipnote hatena and was exploring some flipnotes there. Then i clicked into an anime mv and clicked into the "anime" category. I searched anime in google and all of these animes popped up and learned what it meant. Though, it wasn't until 2013 (year flipnote hatena shut down) where i was sad and instead decided to join deviantart. I saw all the amazing anime drawings that were there and decided to learn more about it, then i started to draw anime. And by curiosity, i saw this anime deathnote and thought it was interesting to check it out. So thats what i did!

Back