What type of Mario game do you like best?

• Thread starter ShinyLatios
  • Start date

Favorite type of Mario game?

• 3D Console Game (Galaxy, Sunshine, etc.)

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • Classic 2D Sidescrolling (Super Mario World, New Super Mario Bros 2, etc.)

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Mario Kart

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Mario RPG (Super Mario RPG,

Votes: 5 17.2%

• Total voters
3d console game, galexy and sunshine are, in my opinion some of the best games in the franchise, often in the console games, the story is different than from the normal 2d side scrolling games, sometimes. I really like galexy because it is unique in so many ways and offered alot of things

I like the Platforming style of Mario. Don't get me wrong, I like the 3D perspective of Mario as well, but Platforming is better. It is easy to play and you can play levels that are somewhat hard. You have to avoid all the things the stage tosses at you, and you can only got through, over or under, not in any direction like a 3D game.

The Mario franchise has evolved a lot from the classic 2D Sidescrolling game it used to be. Now we've got games like Mario Kart, Mario Galaxy, etc. that are radically different from the games of old. Which ones do you prefer and why?

I am a big fan of mario 2 for the nes. I just really enjoyed the gameplay and different characters. Mario 3 was probably a very close second. I suppose i'm old school.

I am a big fan of mario 2

I am a total nerd when it comes to the Mario RPG series, as I have 80% of dem games in physical (the whole Mario and Luigi series, all paper Mario's - thousand year door), however I have to say I had more fun memories with galaxy 1&2, but these are the only 3d Mario games I like, as I hate super Mario sunshine with a burning passion, and I have the D's version of 64, but that d pad is killing me and I just can't get used to the 3ds circle pad.

I enjoy the 3D console Mario games the most, but the RPGs like Mario RPG and Paper Mario are also great!

i pick 2d because im not good with 3d and i grew up with 2d mario. super mario world, super mario nes, and super mario bros. 3

I voted for the 3D open world Mario games. This is because I'm a sucker for great level design and architecture.
Maaaaaan, I'd spend days wandering the 3D landscapes in awe. SM3DL took a little longer for me to complete, but that was because I was soaking in the 3D designing goodness. :D

2d sidescroller

I like Mario kart because it was one of my first Mario games. The sad thing is that I only have one Mario kart game and that is Mario kart DS. I want to get Mario kart 8 because it seems cool and I bet I would like the game a lot. Also on this site it seems like people really like the game and lots of people have the game.

The Mario franchise has evolved a lot from the classic 2D Sidescrolling game it used to be. Now we've got games like Mario Kart, Mario Galaxy, etc. that are radically different from the games of old. Which ones do you prefer and why?
im a long time mario fan but i like the 3d mario games more ever since super mario 64.

My favorite Mario games are generally the 3D console games such as Super Mario Galaxy 1-2, Super Mario Sunshine, etc. I like these the best because of the huge amount of exploration that their spacious over worlds (or many levels) provide. I especially enjoy the 3D console games that feature multiplayer as a main feature.

I prefer the old school 2d types of mario games for 2 reasons: 1 is because it started it all and if we didn't have the 2d games, we wouldn't have all the newer games!! The 2nd reason is because I personally think 2D is more simple then 3d mario games (but I still like the 3D games, just not as much)!

This is a pretty biased opinion, as I've selectively only play 3D Mario games, but I do enjoy them the most. As Super Mario 64 DS was my first DS game, I still enjoy the freedom to move around with awkward camera angles. As soon as I 100%ed Super Mario 64 DS, I was already eyeing Mario Sunshine, and then Galaxy. They've held up my interest far more than the Sports and New games, as I really couldn't differentiate the titles when I was younger. Although Mario 3D Land and 3D World are very good games, they don't give off the same vibes as the previous world-orientated gameplay titles. This, however, hasn't expelled my hype for the upcoming Mario Switch game. I already knew the reports about a new, groundbreaking Mario title in the works for the future, but it was way better to see it than to believe it.

My favorite mario game type is 3d open world, like super mario 3d land, super mario 3d world. I loed mario Galaxy 1 and 2. I think the new twist of the camera and the way of playing it with the wii controls were just amazing. I remember a day in which I was so into the game that I didn´t want to quit playing, so I was abscent at work and continued playing it!! hahahahah

I think Mario Galaxy is the best,
Here's why:
Remember Super mario 64? Pretty much all the levels were large and expansive and could be explored everywhere in order to find the power stars.
Now thing about 3d land and world; Completely linear.

I feel like Galaxy combines these really well. You not only have those wide, expansive levels but you also have the linear ones as well. Sometimes you go from an expansive world to another expansive world via launch star in the same stage.

Plus the orchestrated soundtrack y'know

Plus, i think they should make a galaxy 3d for 3ds, just as a final send off before the system dies in 2019/2020

Last edited by a moderator:
Although I enjoy 3D style titles, They tend to be more complex because there are improved graphics and there's more involved (gameplay-wise/Storylines may be more in-depth). I prefer the classic 2D side-scrolling games, it's where it all started. Simple, goals are clear, and the levels/worlds seem more shorter, so it gives off a 'pick-up and play' impression. I remember getting stuck on Super Mario 64 once, I couldn't progress because I needed more stars to unlock further stages. Couldn't even find the extra stars, it was tough. xD

The 3D ones. They keep the same joy and fun of the 2D sidescrollers, but add that extra element of fun and feeling of mobility. Super Mario 64 was amazing, then Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario Galaxy 2 added on to it even more! Hopefully they will make another good 3D one like those, not just this Super Mario 3D Land stuff.

Probably 2D side scrolling, ive been a big mario fan overall but mario Bros is my all time favorite here. To be more exact, mario maker ranks #1 on my list. Game of trolls aside (lol), i love there being a virtually endless amount of ways to make a level. One thing i was personally quite impressed with are the auto mario levels with amazing detail in them despite the concept itself sounding rather simple. :p if i had to pick #2 id say mario bros 3 or new super mario bros (on the DS), these are my top personal favorites !

Back