What type of starter do you usually choose

• Thread starter featheredfishyfeline
  • Start date

What type do you choose

• Total voters
I kinda like the water type starters. I dont really want waste time trying to find out what is the best water type pokemon for surf.Plus I think water type pokemon have good moves by leveling up and by HM/TM its also one of the types out of all 18 that have lots of defenses and very few resistances. I would really like to know your opinions on what starter type pokemon u really like;)
P.S I started with torchic in pokemon emrald

I'm a grass person, second to fire. 3 regions I go with Grass, 2 with water, and one with fire. Grass has a tough time usually, but it is one of my favorite types. Grass Pokemon are my MVP's quite a bit of the time, and are my favorite to train! Treeko is probaly my favorite to use ^^

I don't pick a starter based on it's type, I pick a starter based on which one I like the look of best.

Gen 1. Bulbasaur (Only counting Leaf Green here, because my first Gen 1 game was Yellow, and I got all three starters.)
Gen 2. Chikorita/Cyndaquill
Gen 3 Treeko/Mudkip
Gen 4: Piplup/Turtwig
Gen 5: Oshawott
Gen 6: Fennekin

Judging by this list though, I tend to pick Grass the most.

I tend to go with Grass types most of the time. I just like their designs more than the others at first looks and all, plus I think a lot of Grass type starters are pretty cool and fun to play with :3

i always pick fire starters. i remember when i played my first pokemon game - pokemon ruby i chose torchic and when it was evolving in a blaziken i was amazed. after that game i always chose fire starters. their final evolutions look so cool! especially charizard and mega charizard x.

Depends... I usually go with what looks the nicest and what has the coolest evolutions. That, or I can go far the Pokemon which will be the best for the first gym, for example the grass type Turtwig in Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum because I found that it could easily destroy the Rock types that... uhh... Byron? Yeah, I think the first gym leader was Byron and I beat him so easily. I preferred Piplup though so I replayed the game with him when I was more confident in my abilities (it was my first Pokemon game).

Kanto: Squirtle
Johto: Cyndaquil
Hoenn: Treeko
Sinnoh: Turtwig/Piplup
Unova: Oshawott, or as I like to call him, "Samurai Jack"
Kalos: Chespin/Froakie (I love Froakie's evolutions but I chose Chespin because I already has a water type in my team, I think)

I picked grass in almost all of the Pokemon games I've played 'cause they're cute and most of them have really cool evolutions. But I find water types pretty neat too. I don't think I can choose between water and grass tbh. As for fire, well, I don't really know why but I don't choose it often. I'm not saying I hate fire types tho, lol.

So my starters were -
Kanto: Squirtle
Jhoto: Chikorita
Hoenn: Mudkip
Sinnoh: Turtwig
Unova: Snivy (chose Tepig once tho)
Kalos: Chespin

It kinda depends of the situation: if i'm going blind into a game, i tend to choose randomly but i often choose the Fire type.
On the other hand, if i have knowledge of the game and know what are the Gym Leaders type, i base my choice on a more tatical way. For example, ORAS: i choose Mudkip because of Roxane's Rock, Watson's Electrick (Marshtomp), Flannery's Fire, Winona's Flying (only non-weak to it) and Tate and Liza's Psychic (Lunatone and Solrock).

I'm a master tactician, you know? :sneaky:

I guess in the earlier generations it was usually Fire for me, as I picked Charmander, Cyndaquil and Torchic, but in recent generations the water types have been appealling to me more, such as Froakie and Oshawott (Tepig and Fennekin were disappointing in my opinion :/).

In Gen 4 they were all so good and I couldn't decide >.> I remember my first full playthrough of Platinum was with Piplup and Empoleon was amazing for the Elite 4, but I also played it through with Chimchar on a second playthrough and he was generally very strong throughout the game.

I always choose the Fire and the Water starters. Fire because they are really cool and Water because I need a Pokemon for some HMs like Surf, Whirpool and Waterfall. They are also really powerful. I don't choose Grass for some reasons. I wonder why.

Fire type has always been my go to starter. Even if there were times when I thought the other starters looked cooler, I've always chose fire and worried about getting the other two later.

I always pick the Grass type, and Water Type ins second place (Being Tepig and Cyndaquil the only fire Starters I really like)

#TeamGrass

Personally I don't choose my starter based off of type. I personally choose mine based off of design and its evolutionary line. I think in some ways choosing a Pokemon because of its design is the best way to be happy with your Pokemon. As far as the games are concerned, we can only really judge them by looks and strength. We can judge by type and yes some people have preferred types but I personally don't. Even so they're other grass, water and fire types in the games.
Sometimes depending on the available water Pokemon I'll pick the water starter just so I can have a good surfer. Other than that depending on the other Pokemon available in the game I'll pick the starter that compliments it best. Personally I don't like any duplicate types in my party so if they'res a Pokemon that I really want which is grass, water or fire I usually exclude that type.

I usually pick a variety;
Gen 1 - Bulbasaur (grass) This is because I love Venusaur and Mega Venusaur. I think the design is really cute and the little flower growing from his back was a really nice addition to him making him colourful and bright. I chose him in X and Y and since using his mega I've gained a lot of respect for him!
Gen 2 - Totodile (water) Design wise, the simplicity makes him cute. I didn't really like the fact that they were so simple but from the choice I have to choose him. I also think his final evolution look so strong and cool.
Gen 3 - Mudkip (water) Back in Pokemon Emerald I chose him. Basically it was just because Swampert is a water/ground Pokemon and I do love that specific typing (although rival battles are a bit tricky).
Gen 4 - Chimchar (fire) Ok let me just say that there is literally no bad starter here. All are amazing and I've played with all of them. However my first time playing (also my first Pokemon experience) I chose Chimchar because who doesn't love a fire monkey?
Gen 5 - Snivy (grass) On the contrary to generation four, generation five had no good starters. In fact I restarted my Pokemon White 2 game and dumped my starter in the PC and have a Mareep as my starter. Nuf said.
Gen 6 - Fennekin (fire) If I had know about how much of a beast Greninja is I would have chosen him but after seeing the starters Fennekin was the only cute one. Not only that it seemed more elegant than the others.

So that's my reasoning behind choosing my starter. Gone a bit off topic but oh well!

well I normally choose the cutest ones,but then again I only have two Pokémon games so meh I don't know if ill change preference

It always depends on how their design is and such. In gen one the decision was unbelievably hard, I ended up picking charmander though. In gen two I picked chikorita, and in gen three I couldn't decide so I picked mudkip because of not using a water yet. I then picked treecko on my replay of it.

Been Fire since the first game, i always seem to pick them. The first time that it was not fire was X, in which i picked frokkie cause ninja frog so yeah. But not long after picking the little frog what would happen but me finding my self in the possession of one charmander. so yeah fire FTW.

In all honesty, I have to see what the design is before I pick. Typing doesn't matter as I can create my team while I go through the game. My opinion does change if I start using said Pokemon later in the after game.

Gen 1 - Charmander (But replays of it, I would pick Bulbasaur or Squirtle)

Gen 2 - Chikorita (Once again, I liked all 3 of them, so I would pick the other two in replays)
Gen 3 - Torchic (I liked to be the character in the anime, so whatever they picked, I would pick. :p)
Gen 4 - Piplup (Same reason as above, however I like Piplup more than the other two.)
Gen 5 - Snivy (At the time, I didn't care for the other two, but now I like all three)
Gen 6 - Froakie (Didn't care for the final evos for Chespin and Fennekin, so I picked Froakie. Hehe)

Strangely enough, I actually don't have a preference on the type of Pokemon I choose, but I mainly go by which Pokemon out of the 3 I like best, and go with that one. I have 3 different types of Pokemon games(I have 6 but the other 3 are just flip sides of the ones I'm mentioning) Pearl, Black, and Y. In pearl, I chose chimchar(Infernape) to be my starter, a fire type. In Pokemon black, I chose snivy(Superior) to be my starter, a grass type. And in Pokemon Y, I chose froakie(Greninja) To be my starter, a water type.

Hello I prefer the fire starter, i always take it. I don't know why exactly but i think it's because of their double type like charizard. I also tried grass and water pokemons. Water is good

I usually pick grass, especialy when im palying pokemon emerald. In pokemon emerald, the first gym you go to is the rock type gym and with a grass type or water you can easily beat this gym. In emerald though, i have learned that it is easiest if you choose mudkip as your starter since, later, there is an electric type gym and it is a pain in the back trying to defeat the gym leader without mudkip.

Back