What would you change about the Mario series?

• Thread starter Demon_skeith
  • Start date
^^ Some old and experienced super mario player who has seen every detail from all the games right there. Mate you are Nintendo's creation.

Most NES games were cheaply difficult back in the day... (but not mine) The 3D Mario games are nice but the 2D ones are the kind I prefer. Maybe the SMB2 things should be used more (like getting keys and being attacked by masks or having cherries). One thing is for sure is that Tatanga and Wart need to come back and I'm not sure if I said this already.

And SMB:LL was a little unfair having you time your jumps correctly but it was all beatable. Now imagine all the creative things you could do with today's tech. You could add different gravity (with arrows for signs of course) and you could use powers like Statue (Tanooki) Mario upon request if you need help.

Last edited:
NES games were cheaply difficult because they were still designed mostly like arcade games(with how game overs and continues worked), and making the game as hard as possible back then was just a way to extend game time. Some NES games tended to be good about the difficulty even if it was still brutal(Mega Man or Castlevania), and others were terrible about it(Lost Levels or Ghost N Goblins)

Just because its possible to "get good"...I actually mean "to memorize" the game to the point where you won't die a LOT, doesn't make it good design overall...

um...Tatanga isn't an actual villain, its just a one off space creature that won't come back....Wart is a dream. Cherries were brought back in 3DWorld, their original purpose is pointless now.

^^ Some old and experienced super mario player who has seen every detail from all the games right there. Mate you are Nintendo's creation.
I'm not sure what you mean.

um...Tatanga isn't an actual villain, its just a one off space creature that won't come back....Wart is a dream.
I'm not sure what you mean.

Then how do you explain Birdo and Shy Guys? And Tatanga kidnapped Daisy. If Bowser kidnaps Peach and is considered a villain then Tatanga should to. Sure he was from a far off land but that's what they did with 3D World was sending Mario to another place.

Then how do you explain Birdo and Shy Guys? And Tatanga kidnapped Daisy. If Bowser kidnaps Peach and is considered a villain then Tatanga should to. Sure he was from a far off land but that's what they did with 3D World was sending Mario to another place.
Shy Guys are from Yoshi's Island and are one of the many enemies Mario saw as a baby...everything is...they were planned Mario Enemies from the get go, so it'd be easy to bring them back and no one would really care. Tatanga worked for Wario...its why he's also in Mario Land 2 as a regular boss...

Well I think the Mario Series should have more reoccurring characters besides the obvious like the Koopa Kids (yes, I'm aware of the triceratops characters from SMW that are in a more recent game). I also want to know why Wart happens to be in Mario's dreams but not in Luigi's at all. I would like to think that all the spin-offs are connected to the main series even though they might not seem like they are. Because everything gets confusing when you over think things.

The storyline in games is always very important for me, but (most) Mario-games don't have a good story, or no story at all. Some Mario-games didn't need a great storyline, they were awesome enough without it *cough Super Mario 64 *cough. Some Mario-games already have a great storyline, for example the Mario & Luigi series :), but if I must chose one thing to change it would be definitely the storyline.

I would give both Mario and Luigi last names because they really don't have last names. Also I would make sure that everyone knows that Luigi's real girlfriend is actually Rosalina and not Daisy.

I would give both Mario and Luigi last names because they really don't have last names. Also I would make sure that everyone knows that Luigi's real girlfriend is actually Rosalina and not Daisy.

If Mario can have Pauline and Toadstool, why can't Luigi have Daisy and Rosalina?

lol. i would add some new badies. and make a yoshi's island where mario is grown up. ( in all the games mario is a baby) and i would bring back some of the old guys like sumo brothers, and the sports guys.

I love Super Mario Galaxy, the reason why, is that I really liked the fact that the game brought an in dept look on Rosalina's life (in the observatory). I would love to see the newer games like that, not just "let's go save Princess Peach" , so I really wish that they add new characters, in moderation. I also hope that Nintendo bring back open world Mario games, like Super Mario Sunshine, and Super Mario Galaxy (kinda).

Make the worlds/levels more longer and more challenging. Add some really powerful bosses/enemies too.

Make the worlds/levels more longer and more challenging. Add some really powerful bosses/enemies too.

Well, the game is enough challenging at the end plus bonus worlds.

The bosses, that is a thing Mario games needs a lot.

I would also make levels less linear and get rid of the timer. Each level (or zone) will have you collect 20 red coins (or something else but I got the coins idea from YI). Or better yet, all the levels would be connected except for castles and Boo Houses. I would also like more creative boss battles that act like they are a part of a level as well as classic 2D boss fights.

I would also make levels less linear and get rid of the timer. Each level (or zone) will have you collect 20 red coins (or something else but I got the coins idea from YI). Or better yet, all the levels would be connected except for castles and Boo Houses. I would also like more creative boss battles that act like they are a part of a level as well as classic 2D boss fights.

I like the timer. Maybe a second mode without a timer would be better.

You know those green stars that they added in the newer games? Yeah, I'd remove those. You see, I don't want to look up down and center just to collect 'em and advance to the next castle. I want to march and jump my way to victory while encountering challenging stages and tough enemies >.<

/ rant >

You know those green stars that they added in the newer games? Yeah, I'd remove those. You see, I don't want to look up down and center just to collect 'em and advance to the next castle. I want to march and jump my way to victory while encountering challenging stages and tough enemies >.<

/ rant >

I think those add replay value...

I think those add replay value...
I prefer boss battles, :oops: (played NSMB over and over again just to fight the bosses)

Reactions: Reece
I prefer boss battles, :oops: (played NSMB over and over again just to fight the bosses)

It must be the first time I heard that actually XD

Reactions: Marc

/ rant >

Can't agree more. I like making my way from point a to point b, Mario shouldn't be about finding secrets >_>

Reactions: Marc
Back