Why are Digital Downloads the same price as new Retail games ?

• Thread starter Reece
  • Start date
R

Reece

I have stumbled upon this video on Youtube and this person makes a lot of sense when it comes out to stating the facts to support his question, Why are Digital Downloads the same price as new Retail games ?

Its a very interesting topic and I wanna know what you think after watching the video, and give me your answer on why are the games the same price.

My internet is too slow today.

What I think:
It has sense because they have to pay those servers. Also you can download again and again and again, you can't do it with the physical one.

What I think:
It has sense because they have to pay those servers. Also you can download again and again and again, you can't do it with the physical one.

Nah well you should watch the video, the man mentioned that same topic at first. His points really made sense in the video

What I think:
Nintendo pays for the eShop servers, so publishers can't have that as an excuse.

Digital games should cost less since they don't need a cover and not to be fanboyish but I believe some PSN games were lower-priced than their retail counterparts for that reason. But the price on digital versions does drop after some time. (for example, some games released for $40 a year or two ago cost $20 when they were brought to the eShop).

Nintendo pays for the eShop servers, so publishers can't have that as an excuse.

Digital games should cost less since they don't need a cover and not to be fanboyish but I believe some PSN games were lower-priced than their retail counterparts for that reason. But the price on digital versions does drop after some time. (for example, some games released for $40 a year or two ago cost $20 when they were brought to the eShop).
True !! Nintendo pays for the eShop servers and that costs pennies for server maintenance. For the retail copy of a game, you have to pay: for the cover art to print, the box itself, game manuals, the middle man (like Gamestop), the game cartridge, those stuff aren't easy to make, it cost mllions of dollars to ship and create millions of games.

Digital games suppose to cost less because to go about selling the game is cheaper,you don't have to pay for box and cover art, manuals , game cartridge and the middle man. You are totally correct about PSN games are lower price than eShop games (some) , they do drop after a while but doesn't the retail game drops as well ?

True !! Nintendo pays for the eShop servers and that costs pennies for server maintenance. For the retail copy of a game, you have to pay: for the cover art to print, the box itself, game manuals, the middle man (like Gamestop), the game cartridge, those stuff aren't easy to make, it cost mllions of dollars to ship and create millions of games.

Digital games suppose to cost less because to go about selling the game is cheaper,you don't have to pay for box and cover art, manuals , game cartridge and the middle man. You are totally correct about PSN games are lower price than eShop games (some) , they do drop after a while but doesn't the retail game drops as well ?

If something happens with the digital download, you can download it again.
If something happens with the physical one... But it again.

If something happens with the digital download, you can download it again.
If something happens with the physical one... But it again.

Yeah but still, I don't think that will sum the price equally, I think Digital prices should be atleast 5 dollars less than the retail

Yeah but still, I don't think that will sum the price equally, I think Digital prices should be atleast 5 dollars less than the retail

Yes, that's fair honestly.

Reactions: Reece
Yes, that's fair honestly.
It is because remember Nintendo still has to pay Gamestop at a price so Gamestop can gain a profit on the item, and the dude said in the video(not sure if true) that the profit Gamestop gets to sell the game is 8 dollars. I am not sure if I explained that correctly, I am bad at explaining stuff.. Back to topic, yes it is a fair price because Nintendo don't have to pay much money to sell Digital games compared to the process of going bout selling the Retail games, thats what I think.

Simple: Nintendo is hungry for money.

Simple: Nintendo is hungry for money.
Sigh !!
Nintendo, Sony also Microsoft. I think Microsoft is the most money hungry of them all though !!

Sigh !!
Nintendo, Sony also Microsoft. I think Microsoft is the most money hungry of them all though !!

In the next-gen, Sony and Microsoft are the same.
No retrocompatibility and no free online, no buy :p

In the next-gen, Sony and Microsoft are the same.
No retrocompatibility and no free online, no buy :p
I know, free online would be so restricted, I hate the Xbox because of it, that's why I will never ever buy an Xbox One. Maybe a PS4 but never the Xbox One , most likely the Wii U will be the winner in the three that I should buy though

Very few people would buy retail if they had lower-priced digital downloads. Why are none of you thinking about this?

Sigh !!

Yes, but don't forget Bill Gates donated 60 BILLION DOLLARS to charity. But, I'm not Microsoft fanboy xD Yes, this topic is unfair, but then everybody would buy online and they would waste money on packets, manuals etc...

Yes, but don't forget Bill Gates donated 60 BILLION DOLLARS to charity. But, I'm not Microsoft fanboy xD Yes, this topic is unfair, but then everybody would buy online and they would waste money on packets, manuals etc...

Well, yeah, Bill gates donate a lot of money, it's true.

Very few people would buy retail if they had lower-priced digital downloads. Why are none of you thinking about this?

I think a lot of people will buy the physical anyways... A lot of people had the money or just want the box and the manual. Remember a lot of people will sell them for buy other too.

Really I had no idea Bill Gates donated that much money :eek:, but still I will never be a Microsoft Fanboy, I have respect for him now though.

I think a lot of people will buy the physical anyways... A lot of people had the money or just want the box and the manual. Remember a lot of people will sell them for buy other too.
Yup, they are a lot of benefits with buying retail games, but also some benefits when buying digital also, but I think when buying retail games its more beneficial because of the things you can do with it afterwards the game has been beaten.

Really I had no idea Bill Gates donated that much money :eek:, but still I will never be a Microsoft Fanboy, I have respect for him now though.
I never was Microsoft fanboy,nor I'll ever be, but Bill Gates is amazing man and genius, and one of my most respected people. Also shouldn't you be a fangirl, not a fanboy? :eek:

Back