Why are Digital Downloads the same price as new Retail games ?

• Thread starter Reece
  • Start date

I have stumbled upon this video on Youtube and this person makes a lot of sense when it comes out to stating the facts to support his question, Why are Digital Downloads the same price as new Retail games ?

Its a very interesting topic and I wanna know what you think after watching the video, and give me your answer on why are the games the same price.

Another fine reason as to why I don't and will never buy a downloadable version of any game on any handheld system ever. The video has solidified my pessimistic view upon downloadable versions of regular games. That guy has some amazing points that need to be heard by Nintendo so they can make a change. eShop sales only will not cut it. The only thing I would disagree with what he said was that video games will only be available through download. I would hate that if that happened.

Another fine reason as to why I don't and will never buy a downloadable version of any game on any handheld system ever. The video has solidified my pessimistic view upon downloadable versions of regular games. That guy has some amazing points that need to be heard by Nintendo so they can make a change. eShop sales only will not cut it. The only thing I would disagree with what he said was that video games will only be available through download. I would hate that if that happened.
videogames becoming available only through download is a strong possibility if you think about it. If the eshop gets a lot of sales and is really successful, Nintendo may realize in the future that making physical copies of games just isn't worth it. That's a huge reason why Capcom decided to go digital-only for Phoenix Wright localizations, because the time and money to make a physical boxed copy just wasn't worth it for them.

videogames becoming available only through download is a strong possibility if you think about it. If the eshop gets a lot of sales and is really successful, Nintendo may realize in the future that making physical copies of games just isn't worth it. That's a huge reason why Capcom decided to go digital-only for Phoenix Wright localizations, because the time and money to make a physical boxed copy just wasn't worth it for them.

Nintendo realizes that people (like me) appreciate nice solid copies of their games. I believe they would actually lose a little bit of money as well if they made a mischievous move such as to go digital-only. Other stores that are video game centrals, like gamestop or best-buy, would lose a lot of their profits as well.

Reactions: Kaynil
Nintendo realizes that people (like me) appreciate nice solid copies of their games. I believe they would actually lose a little bit of money as well if they made a mischievous move such as to go digital-only. Other stores that are video game centrals, like gamestop or best-buy, would lose a lot of their profits as well.
Well of course , if Nintendo gave like a cheaper price for buying games on the internet than going to a retail store that would make , Nintendo , lose money and ofc every other store having bad sales.

Well of course , if Nintendo gave like a cheaper price for buying games on the internet than going to a retail store that would make , Nintendo , lose money and ofc every other store having bad sales.
Actually, cheaper prices wouldn't necessarily mean losing money. It's all supply and demand. If they lower the price, more people will want to buy the game, which can easily make up for the "lost" revenue. Furthermore, it would indirectly influence some people to go for their side of the gaming market based on a price point (although they kinda have that going for them with the whole console war going on right now)

Also, keep in mind that stores having bad sales wouldn't matter if Nintendo decided to pursue a digital only thing. The stores just exist to sell Nintendo content because Nintendo, like every other major company, doesn't feel like doing it themselves. The store is just a middle-man in all that.

Reactions: Reece
Actually, cheaper prices wouldn't necessarily mean losing money. It's all supply and demand. If they lower the price, more people will want to buy the game, which can easily make up for the "lost" revenue. Furthermore, it would indirectly influence some people to go for their side of the gaming market based on a price point (although they kinda have that going for them with the whole console war going on right now)

Also, keep in mind that stores having bad sales wouldn't matter if Nintendo decided to pursue a digital only thing. The stores just exist to sell Nintendo content because Nintendo, like every other major company, doesn't feel like doing it themselves. The store is just a middle-man in all that.

I agree, except stores are the ones selling the games, Nintendo basically gives the games to them to sell. I would say the proceeds mainly go to Nintendo while a bit goes to the stores selling their games. So if Nintendo decided on "No more retail" that would really devastate 2 things: Gamers and Stores. Gamers because like I said before, most of them like the cold hard copy of their games. Stores because they would lose a bit of their profits from no longer selling Nintendo's Games.

Reactions: Kaynil
I agree, except stores are the ones selling the games, Nintendo basically gives the games to them to sell. I would say the proceeds mainly go to Nintendo while a bit goes to the stores selling their games. So if Nintendo decided on "No more retail" that would really devastate 2 things: Gamers and Stores. Gamers because like I said before, most of them like the cold hard copy of their games. Stores because they would lose a bit of their profits from no longer selling Nintendo's Games.
Yes, I'm not denying that some gamers like the hard, physical copies of their games. But if that ends up proving to be a really small minority in say, 10 years from now, Nintendo may back up. Yes, stores would lose profits but ultimately it's Nintendo's call on that. Keep in mind that, although somewhat irrelevant, Nintendo produced a strong E3 showing despite not even reserving a conference at E3 2013 this year

It's the same price because Nintendo figures the general public won't see a difference since it's the same game. I don't see them changing it any time soon, they make more money off downloads this way.

Well, Nintendo hasn't been very good with this subject, but third parties have started making the price 10$ cheaper on some games.

Personally I'm fine with paying full price. I just like having the ability to get a game at midnight on release or having it on my 3DS at all times.

I like buying games retail. If it were less on eshop, I probably wouldn't get retail anymore... Plus, knowing Nintendo, the eshop probably couldn't handle the majority of people buying games digitally.

I don't see why they should be cheaper from one another? You still get the same end product. xD

if one was cheaper from another, then the cheapest one will get more downloads/buys, so it wouldn't be fair. Both are balanced. xD

I don't see why they should be cheaper from one another? You still get the same end product. xD

if one was cheaper from another, then the cheapest one will get more downloads/buys, so it wouldn't be fair. Both are balanced. xD

Well, this thread is alive again...

The only thing I see wrong with Nintnedo is the physical version usually get a lower price with the time and the digital keeps it's original. It's too rare seeing a discount for being honest.

Reactions: Mikaya
I think they stay at the same price because it's still the same game no matter what. In my opinion digital downloads should be at least 5 dollars cheaper. With the physical cart, you get a case, a guide, Club Nintendo codes (on some games), and sometimes even an accessory (Kid Icarus stand). With a digital game, all you got was a huge long data stream of 1's and 0's. I get that Nintendo pays for servers, but they also pay a lot of money for packaging and shipping out physical games.

I don't quit know but they should put the retail game more price then the digital since the retail is send with a cartbridge.

Well there's money in shipping it over to different countries and there's money in making the game and having it available on a server that might need maintenance every now and then. Sure I think downloads might be cheaper since you pay for the storage and that the physical thing is less likely to be messed around with and more secure. Really though if one is cheaper the other should be too and if one is expensive the other should be too since people might take advantage of deals and that's less profit either way for the producers/designers.

Back