Why is it rated M

• Thread starter 3dsatackman
  • Start date
3dsatackman

3dsatackman

Master of Fire!
Towns Folk
why is this game rated m. and would it be ok if a 13 year old played it. i have a friend who want to know. and if it is ok is it like kid icarus how the shooter style is.

You can check on the pamphlet: blood, violence, partial nudity, sexual themes, and language. It's an RPG.
I don't recommend a 13 years old to play it. The main premise of SMT itself is something related to moral (and religion), so it might discourage someone's mind.

why is this game rated m. and would it be ok if a 13 year old played it. i have a friend who want to know. and if it is ok is it like kid icarus how the shooter style is.
Kid Icarus is not rated M so you can't really use that as an example....it's rated E 10+.

Yeah, it's probably for reasons more like what dwikrid posted. I know PW Dual Destinies is rated M as well (and I think it's because of this one case...). In any case though, it's not ALWAYS all of those things listed on the pamphlet. It could very well be just one of those things for all you know

Yeah, it's probably for reasons more like what dwikrid posted. I know PW Dual Destinies is rated M as well (and I think it's because of this one case...). In any case though, it's not ALWAYS all of those things listed on the pamphlet. It could very well be just one of those things for all you know

Well, I believe that ESRB, PEGI, and CERO are doing their best. I mean, how we choose game to buy is - on one hand - is restricted by their rating - especially digital games. There are strict games shop where they will ask your age before buying the game. In my country, unfortunately these kind of game shops are rare to find, since they don't really care about what may happen to the game player. For example, I know some elementary school kids that bought GTA V. The shop didn't care, their parents didn't care enough. :(

In SMT case, what ESRB mention on the pamphlet is true. (Well, moral/religious theme was not counted).

Well, I believe that ESRB, PEGI, and CERO are doing their best. I mean, how we choose game to buy is - on one hand - is restricted by their rating - especially digital games. There are strict games shop where they will ask your age before buying the game. In my country, unfortunately these kind of game shops are rare to find, since they don't really care about what may happen to the game player. For example, I know some elementary school kids that bought GTA V. The shop didn't care, their parents didn't care enough. :(

In SMT case, what ESRB mention on the pamphlet is true. (Well, moral/religious theme was not counted).
Well, I never said ESRB, PEGI, and CERO are being idiotic with the ratings. I'm just saying that the description for WHY it's rated a certain way can be a bit misleading as not all of those things necessarily are the case for all games of that rating.

Well, I never said ESRB, PEGI, and CERO are being idiotic with the ratings. I'm just saying that the description for WHY it's rated a certain way can be a bit misleading as not all of those things necessarily are the case for all games of that rating.

hahaha, don't worry. I don't intend to checkmate your statement that bad. Also, I've stated that SMT IV is related to religious and moral theme the player has to choose, so it's not recommended to a 13 years old gamer.

Fortunately, in this new installment, Diana's appearance is tweaked. It turns to be weird, though -____-

hahaha, don't worry. I don't intend to checkmate your statement that bad. Also, I've stated that SMT IV is related to religious and moral theme the player has to choose, so it's not recommended to a 13 years old gamer.

Fortunately, in this new installment, Diana's appearance is tweaked. It turns to be weird, though -____-
yeah, and the rating makes sense in this case if what you're saying about the religious and moral theme of SMT IV is true. Although you never know, some 13 year olds may be mature enough for it for all we know

yeah, and the rating makes sense in this case if what you're saying about the religious and moral theme of SMT IV is true. Although you never know, some 13 year olds may be mature enough for it for all we know
Yep. There is chronological age and psychological age, which is different concept. The first talks about your biological age, and the second is about mental one. But a mature person in 13 years old body is hard to find, with low percentage. That's why it's easier to have a rating based on chronological age (in any game case) because we won't have time to 'measure' everybody's mental age.

So @3dsatackman I think I've said enough about why SMT IV is rated as mature game. It's about player having moral judgement of himself, God, and demons. You can decide what to do next ;)

Yep. There is chronological age and psychological age, which is different concept. The first talks about your biological age, and the second is about mental one. But a mature person in 13 years old body is hard to find, with low percentage. That's why it's easier to have a rating based on chronological age (in any game case) because we won't have time to 'measure' everybody's mental age.

So @3dsatackman I think I've said enough about why SMT IV is rated as mature game. It's about player having moral judgement of himself, God, and demons. You can decide what to do next ;)
Yeah, I agree that in general age makes more sense to measure by. I was just mentioning that there ARE exceptions when it comes to maturity (even if they are rare given all the 13 year olds that play Call of Duty and such :p)

ok i will tell him to not get it and if he does he will be in trouble with his parents. he wants to get it and then surprise them. if he does not listen he will be in trouble.

ok i will tell him to not get it and if he does he will be in trouble with his parents. he wants to get it and then surprise them. if he does not listen he will be in trouble.
That depends on his parents honestly. Are you sure he'd get in trouble with them. I'm not saying I advocate the course of action, but there are a lot of parents who are kinda clueless about rated M....if anything just tell him that it may not be in his best interest to get the game because of the stuff it'd involve

That depends on his parents honestly. Are you sure he'd get in trouble with them. I'm not saying I advocate the course of action, but there are a lot of parents who are kinda clueless about rated M....if anything just tell him that it may not be in his best interest to get the game because of the stuff it'd involve

pending on the family they may not care if it's M rated. When I was young I had no problems playing M rated games. Everyone is different.

pending on the family they may not care if it's M rated. When I was young I had no problems playing M rated games. Everyone is different.
yeah pretty much. Each person comes from different circumstances and in some cases parents won't care too much. Some people grow up mentally faster than others I guess

thanks for the advice guys. i already told him and his parents and they said thank you for tellinng them and that he could not get it. but now he want to get fire emblem.

thanks for the advice guys. i already told him and his parents and they said thank you for tellinng them and that he could not get it. but now he want to get fire emblem.
Fire Emblem should be fine for him since it's only Rated T. And many Rated T games really aren't that bad in terms of what they show in the game (for example: Twilight Princess isn't too bad, although Palace of Twilight can be a bit scary for younger players).

Fire Emblem should be fine for him since it's only Rated T. And many Rated T games really aren't that bad in terms of what they show in the game (for example: Twilight Princess isn't too bad, although Palace of Twilight can be a bit scary for younger players).

yes there are some rated T games. but i think that fire embelm awaking is a ok game for him to play. what do you guys think?

yes there are some rated T games. but i think that fire embelm awaking is a ok game for him to play. what do you guys think?
Fire Emblem is good. The main story is not hard to understand, most of support conversations are family-related theme worth reading. Hopefully he doesn't get too stressed with the gameplay ;)

Fire Emblem is good. The main story is not hard to understand, most of support conversations are family-related theme worth reading. Hopefully he doesn't get too stressed with the gameplay ;)
He shouldn't get too stressed with the gameplay if he plays on some of the easier difficulties (basically, don't play Lunatic or Lunatic+ and it won't be too stressful). Worst comes to worst, he could also play on casual mode

He shouldn't get too stressed with the gameplay if he plays on some of the easier difficulties (basically, don't play Lunatic or Lunatic+ and it won't be too stressful). Worst comes to worst, he could also play on casual mode
For non-tactical RPG avid player, it's a recommendation to start with casual mode. I found myself handle perma-death hard, even in normal difficulty. Because I'm used to use Phoenix Down XD
Well, @3dsatackman, your friend would have no problem with rating, and FE:A has good moral value suited to his age. For the gameplay, let him try normal-classic if he likes challenges :)

For non-tactical RPG avid player, it's a recommendation to start with casual mode. I found myself handle perma-death hard, even in normal difficulty. Because I'm used to use Phoenix Down XD
Well, @3dsatackman, your friend would have no problem with rating, and FE:A has good moral value suited to his age. For the gameplay, let him try normal-classic if he likes challenges :)
Really? haha I played on Hard Classic my first time around and it wasn't too bad. I guess it depends on the player then lol Who knows, maybe he'll be able to handle Hard

Back