Why is it rated M

• Thread starter 3dsatackman
  • Start date
Fire Emblem should be fine.

lol i saw the video trailer and it looked quite good :p it didn't have any moral and religion stuff like that but i guess that part is probably part of the story line - i guess you could just skim text to see what goes on :p

Well, I believe that ESRB, PEGI, and CERO are doing their best. I mean, how we choose game to buy is - on one hand - is restricted by their rating - especially digital games. There are strict games shop where they will ask your age before buying the game. In my country, unfortunately these kind of game shops are rare to find, since they don't really care about what may happen to the game player. For example, I know some elementary school kids that bought GTA V. The shop didn't care, their parents didn't care enough. :(

In SMT case, what ESRB mention on the pamphlet is true. (Well, moral/religious theme was not counted).
Although I think it's fine for kids to play GTA, I've gotta ask: did the store not ask for parents' permission? I think they are supposed to...

Although I think it's fine for kids to play GTA, I've gotta ask: did the store not ask for parents' permission? I think they are supposed to...
The problem in my country is that both many stores and parents are ignorant. Some stores only care about cash, and some parents just want to see their kids happy - they just give their kids money to spend on things go unchecked. Well, we need to be more educated :oops:
There are also game rentals here since not everyone can buy consoles, but I think they just let kids play anything as long as they pay...

Reactions: Fyzzu and nicklesimba
Bingo. Education is pretty much paramount, for basically anything. You can't protect your kids forever - and nor should you try - but it's your responsibility to do so for awhile, and to give them a good enough mental and emotional grounding that you don't have to do it forever. SMT isn't a mature series in terms of nudity and gore and so on, but in terms of mature themes. Or, to put it another way: actually mature, rather than sophomoric.

Well, except for Mara. But let's not get into that giant, throbbing exception.

Specifically talking Persona, though - I was sort of surprised Persona 3 didn't result in a furore at the time of launch considering it appears to feature high-school teens shooting themselves in the heads with pistols, but I guess that's because it's not as popular as, say, GTA. Not nearly so much attention to be had or money to be made! Which, unfortunately, is what triggers most media feeding frenzies.

... I do sort of want to point out that the Persona series is less about "summoning evil spirits" and more about physically manifesting the facade used to deal with day-to-day problems and interact with the world, which doubles as your emotional protection. I mean, the sub-series is called "Persona". Whether or not you buy into Jungian psychological theory, the clue is in the name.

Reactions: ThatLoyalGamer and dwikrid
@Fyzzu and basically Persona series is "lighter" since it does not involve angels/demons as your antagonist - no Lucifer or God as your archrival, at least. P4 goes further since they didn't make the characters shoot in their heads anymore - yeah that's quite a scene. And yes, that Jungian psychological theory.

Persona 3 made its first way to fame, so basically mainstream media didn't really have a problem to share (compared to GTA), and as a franchise, SMT (and its derivations) is not really accessible to most people, compared to other famous RPGs like FF and Dragon Quest.

Mm. SMT itself is more heavily based around Gnosticism, so it follows the whole "God isn't God, he only thinks he is, and he's actually evil." They've kinda shied away from that in pretty much everything since SMT3, though. Which, coincidentally enough, is the point when the series started getting noticed in the west...

I mean, I mostly treat it as an entertainment product that takes a pretty unique stance on things, is well-researched (mostly), and has some really interesting thoughts on philosophy, psychology, and religion. But it's still an entertainment product rather than deliberate and overt evangelisation.

I wouldn't really recommend it to anyone who's incredibly touchy about the topic of religion, or who is too emotionally young to handle it, but otherwise it's all good! And hey, there's always Persona - as long as you don't mind the non-denominational presence of angels and demons and fae and Cerberus.

Reactions: dwikrid
Well at least we don't have to fight against YHVH anymore in Strange Journey (we got Demiurge instead, and yes, this one is Gnostic) and SMT IV (Merkabah, but hey, there is Ancient of Days or something DLC).

Regardless of whom we will fight, the moral choices are still a mature theme, yet I love it.

The Persona /SMT games all have more of an adult feel to them due to the dark nature of these games. They are by no means bad games but I would have to say if I had a 13 year old I wouldn't let them play the games just for that reason. They have to be old enough to really understand the conflict it might create when it comes to religion and so forth. Not to say all 13 year olds won't because there are some out there that are pretty mature and can handle it but I would still be iffy about it. I personally love the games and love the fact that they have a way of making you think about things. Kind of like challenging your out look on religion and so on. I welcome that challenge really but for a 13 year old it might be just a bit much.

... Really? No mention of Mara?!

Let's face it, Mara is the real reason why SMT games get a Mature rating, in other SMT forums, it has become a meme that "M stands for Mara" xD.

But, seriously, no, a 13-year old should not be playing games in this series, other than Persona, at least until they can fully differentiate the game's philosophy from the real world's, and can completely comprehend that the crazy plots and religious motifs from the series are only there for entertainment

It is not a game for kids, You need to have some level of maturity to understand its history, heck none of the Shin Megami Tensei games are for kids( except a couple of japan exclusives).

Well SMT has nudity, I've seen full blown number 1 female parts, and there's demons. Smt4 for example talks about sensitive subjects like gods and angels and demons which are touchy things yuo might not want young children to be playing. And there's language and blood which in most games, all of this equals a M rating

To be honest, unless you're a sensitive 13 year old, or have been ordered otherwise to not play games with violence/nudity, then don't play. But I know 10 year olds that play Grand Theft Auto and games of that sort all of the time. I was 10 when I was playing Resident Evil games on the Gamecube. If you're not bothered by it, and your parents aren't strict about what you play, then it should be fine. The ratings say 17+, but if you think you're mature enough to handle a game with mature material at the age of 13 or younger, then I see no problem with playing it.

Reactions: 18
simply because even most teens can't take the philosophical sides of these series. they may turn mad, Suicide, burn churches etc
P.S Joking about those but srsly,SMT is THE MOST mature series ive ever played

I think it's rated M because a game about demons and stuff is pretty mature content i guess. Theres also a small part of nudity and gore and some other stuff added in. Dont think theres any problem with your friend getting it. Im 13 as well and dont see any problem with games like those. Nothing in them i dont already know,

I never actually played any game of the series but after seeing some of the gameplay for researching purposes , I really don't suggest a game like that to any 13 year old kid . You shouldn't always believe the little notes from the ASRBM thing but it is just a little notice and though PW : Dual Destinies is rated M , I think that it shouldn't have been but it does have alot of gory parts compared to the previous versions

I havnt played this game myself for the religious shots kind of fired in it and I think that that's the main reason why it's m even though it doesn't say it

Also I don't really like the fact that gta is free to all Kids out there either @dwickrid everyone around me plays gta except me because I just don't like it, and that's coming from a 13 year old

yeah, and the rating makes sense in this case if what you're saying about the religious and moral theme of SMT IV is true. Although you never know, some 13 year olds may be mature enough for it for all we know
Why does nobody mention mara.... that's the most disturbing part of these games...

If you do not mind violence and partial nudity, it is ok. But then it is highly inappropriate, O AM 13 TOO AND TRUST ME, it is not too good. His parents will probably get really mad. The fire emblem crossover is going to be rated m, I do not know if I should buy it, I have a younger sister

Back