Mario Maker Why isn't SMM2's 3D World Style not truly 3D?

• Thread starter SS1o7crazydude
  • Start date
SS1o7crazydude

SS1o7crazydude

Pedia Mastermind
Towns Folk
The 3D World Style is still 2D. It's not like Super Mario 3D World. Why?!

I think all Mario Maker game styles will be in 2D, no matter the game the style is from.

Well it's disappointing because I expected it to be in 3D.

3D Mario Maker is a whole new game Nintendo could sell. Would be surprised if they gave 3D Styles for free.

Reactions: 28142
The 3D World Style is still 2D. It's not like Super Mario 3D World. Why?!
If they did that, it would be an entirely separate game.

It's 2.5D kinda which is close enough tbh. Like Aric said, it would have to be a totally new game.

Reactions: Jisenku
Wait until 2023 when Super Mario Maker 3(D) comes out and then hopefully you'll have your precious 3D World in 3D
Ok bye

There are so many 3D mechanics especially in Galaxy and Sunshine alone it would be a huge effort. Having it be in a game like SMM2 would just raise the bar and people would just expect more from Nintendo than what they do already.

I think it's just because the developers of the game are lazy.

yeaaaaaaaaaaa, no. That literally is so incredibly far from why it's not "proper" 3d.

You people can't give legitimate reasons.
I'll sum up what all of you have said along with counter-arguments:
1. @Duster It's too surprising of Nintendo to give a real 3D world style in SMM2 for free.
  • SMM2 is not free!
  • They could make a real 3D world style DLC that you have to pay for if that's what you want to prevent you from being surprised.
2. @Duster A 3D Mario Maker game is a whole new game that Nintendo can sell.
  • It doesn't have to be a whole new game if Nintendo will just put in a 3D world style into the current game - SMM2. It's senseless to leave it to a sequel.
3. @AricAttack @Sky If they did that, it would an entirely separate game.
  • It wouldn't, and I don't see why it would. Real 3D levels can live in harmony along with their 2D level counterparts in the course world in SMM2.
4. @Sky It's kind of like 2.5D which is close enough to be honest.
  • It's not close enough! I'm surprised that you actually said that. I can only move along the x and y-axis but I can't move along the z-axis which is the sole reason to why it's not 3D.
I'll post more tomorrow.

1. @Duster It's too surprising of Nintendo to give a real 3D world style in SMM2 for free.
  • SMM2 is not free!
  • They could make a real 3D world style DLC that you have to pay for if that's what you want to prevent you from being surprised.
2. @Duster A 3D Mario Maker game is a whole new game that Nintendo can sell.
  • It doesn't have to be a whole new game if Nintendo will just put in a 3D world style into the current game - SMM2. It's senseless to leave it to a sequel.
3. @AricAttack @Sky If they did that, it would an entirely separate game.
  • It wouldn't, and I don't see why it would. Real 3D levels can live in harmony along with their 2D level counterparts in the course world in SMM2.
4. @Sky It's kind of like 2.5D which is close enough to be honest.
  • It's not close enough! I'm surprised that you actually said that. I can only move along the x and y-axis but I can't move along the z-axis which is the sole reason to why it's not 3D.
I'll post more tomorrow.

You do realise that the engine most likely won't be able to run true 3d right? If we want to get technical here, sure.

2.5D is based in a semi-3D plane, however, I would be very surprised if the sprites weren't sprites. It would take many months and a lot of work to build a true 3D framework not only into the gameplay but also to create what'd basically end up being a whole new editor. It also wouldn't fit with the theme of the game that's been set up so far, hence the idea for making a new game, a spin-off. The series so far has made its base with simple, 2D mechanics, and to suddenly throw true 3D into the mix would just confuse and just not fit.

For technicalities, they would have to redesign almost all of the game at both the backend level and front end. Both of which would cost a lot of time and money, of which they likely don't have at the moment. SMM was never meant to be a 1-1 recreation of the games, they're supposed to be there to allow you to make levels in the *style* of the games. And a 2.5D 3d world style works perfectly fine for that.

Reactions: AricAttack
  • SMM2 is not free!
he meant they wouldn't make an entirely new 3d update for free lol.
he never said it was free

plus if they did that, chances are smm2 would have a much bigger download than it needs to be.

There are so many 3D mechanics especially in Galaxy and Sunshine alone it would be a huge effort. Having it be in a game like SMM2 would just raise the bar and people would just expect more from Nintendo than what they do already.
Having people expect more from Nintendo isn't necessarily a bad thing, at least I don't think so because I like getting better games (I don't know about you). Think of Minecraft, it's a 3D platformer that you can create and edit 3D worlds with. Maybe a course editor for 3D levels in SMM2 can be something similar to that if you doubt it's possible for there to be one. And maybe the "huge effort" will be worth the cost.

Minecraft... isn't a 3d platformer? It's a sandbox survival game. And if you believe that a game like Minecraft can be added on top of a game like Mario maker with 0 issues for both the devs and consumer, then oh boy do I have some news for you. It'd be borderline impossible from a technological standpoint on the switch, and just be so much bigger then the game currently is just for that bit on its own. If they were ever going to make a 3D course editor, it'd be on its own game where I'd presume there'd be no 2D aspect to it.

Okay, sorry, whatever, you know what I mean: the game is in 3D. And I think you already know this but the game isn't limited to a survival mode, there's also a creative aspect to it called creative mode so yeah. Also, why would it be "borderline impossible"? Many big games that take up a considerable amount of storage space are available on the switch and I am certain that they all run perfectly. More explaining is required.

Okay, sorry, whatever, you know what I mean: the game is in 3D. And I think you already know this but the game isn't limited to a survival mode, there's also a creative aspect to it called creative mode so yeah. Also, why would it be "borderline impossible"? Many big games that take up a considerable amount of storage space are available on the switch and I am certain that they all run perfectly. More explaining is required.

Creative mode is a small part of it, however, that's what I mean though, it's a sandbox game, with survival elements in it. and by borderline impossible I mean, they would have to make what would effectively be a separate game anyway. Minecraft on the switch is 7GB (base, no maps, mods, addons or anything), SMM2 is just over 3GB. 3d requires a LOT more resources, engine power, space and everything to be able to work since instead of everything being 2d sprites, you're gonna need more resources and space to store full models and textures instead. Not to mention all the full animations and all the extra coding that'd need to be done from scratch because you're adding an additional plane. And this is *if* the engine running the game can even handle 3D. Not every engine can. If they've built the engine based on 2D only from the first game, chances are that they'd need to re-write the engine to render 3D and such.

And lol, not all the "big games" run well, a lot actually run terribly, including smaller ones.

he meant they wouldn't make an entirely new 3d update for free lol.
he never said it was free

plus if they did that, chances are smm2 would have a much bigger download than it needs to be.
Why are you defending someone who isn't even yourself? Anyways, I don't expect it to be free, I may pay if it was DLC at a reasonable price. And still, we pay for the game anyways so even if they do add a real 3D theme at no extra cost, it still wouldn't count as giving it away for free. Also, the time it will take for a game to download and install doesn't annoy me too much. I'll just wait and do something else in the meantime while waiting for a game to download.

Last edited:
Creative mode is a small part of it, however, that's what I mean though, it's a sandbox game, with survival elements in it. and by borderline impossible I mean, they would have to make what would effectively be a separate game anyway. Minecraft on the switch is 7GB (base, no maps, mods, addons or anything), SMM2 is just over 3GB. 3d requires a LOT more resources, engine power, space and everything to be able to work since instead of everything being 2d sprites, you're gonna need more resources and space to store full models and textures instead. Not to mention all the full animations and all the extra coding that'd need to be done from scratch because you're adding an additional plane. And this is *if* the engine running the game can even handle 3D. Not every engine can. If they've built the engine based on 2D only from the first game, chances are that they'd need to re-write the engine to render 3D and such.

And lol, not all the "big games" run well, a lot actually run terribly, including smaller ones.
Yeah, so Nintendo should simply just use a different engine for the game that can run 3D.

Yeah, so Nintendo should simply just use a different engine for the game that can run 3D.

That's.. not how it works. They would have to remake the entire game from scratch. I think the best non-technical metaphor for that would be if you had a round piece and someone told you to fit that into a triangle hole, what'd happen? You'd break it, and it just wouldn't fit.

Back