• Thread starter ShinyLatios
  • Start date

Conspiracy Theory...legit or no?

• Hell yeah!

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • wth

Votes: 10 71.4%

• Total voters
Just thought I'd butt in on this convo since I love everything related to Japanese legends since there are much more diverse than anywhere else in the world :p
First of all, Yokai aren't technically demons or monsters. A more appropriate term would be spirits. They were animals, humans and even items that were turned into such spirits for one reason or another.
And yes, there are stories of Kappas being evil and killing people or drinking their blood. But in the general Japanese folklore, Kappas are mostly seen as benevolent and loyal creatures that share their knowledge with humans.

The majority of Yokai however eat humans, a lot of them using curses to do so due to their inability to attack people directly.

Anyway, my point here is that the Kappas aren't necessarily evil creatures, and were probably added to ACNL due to the fact that they are seen as helpful and knowledgeable.
Wow, I didn't know all that about the Yokai to THAT detail O_O In that case, I guess the conspiracy theory was based off a misconception then haha But yeah, it makes sense that the Yokai eat humans because that would promote the kind of fear you see in PW: DD (yeah, I know it's a different game, but that game actually involves Yokai for one case)

Wow, I didn't know all that about the Yokai to THAT detail O_O In that case, I guess the conspiracy theory was based off a misconception then haha But yeah, it makes sense that the Yokai eat humans because that would promote the kind of fear you see in PW: DD (yeah, I know it's a different game, but that game actually involves Yokai for one case)

@naagza: Quick question, what's PW DD ??

@naagza: Quick question, what's PW DD ??
Yeah, as Memento Mori said, it's Phoenix Wright Dual Destinies. In case you haven't heard of it, it's this lawyer court battle game (with OBJECTION!s flying all over the place :p). But yeah, I think the second case involves cross examining a Yokai?

Reactions: xXAwesomeDudeXx
Yeah, as Memento Mori said, it's Phoenix Wright Dual Destinies. In case you haven't heard of it, it's this lawyer court battle game (with OBJECTION!s flying all over the place :p). But yeah, I think the second case involves cross examining a Yokai?

Wow. I'll have to check it out. I played the first PW on the DS, but even with 5-6 objections, I game over'd the first case.

Wow. I'll have to check it out. I played the first PW on the DS, but even with 5-6 objections, I game over'd the first case.
The new PW is a lot different from the first. With that said though, if you're having a hard time with the first PW, you may have difficulty with THIS one :p The first case in THAT trial is more easy than THIS one imo

To add to the conspiracy theory, Tanookis (Nook) and Foxes (The painting guy? XD) are known as being tricksters in Japanese Mythology. The foxes in Japanese mythology have the power to make leafs become valuable items to trick humans. Thus why you get leafs as furniture in the game. You aren't getting actual furniture you're just being tricked into thinking it's something nice.

To add to the conspiracy theory, Tanookis (Nook) and Foxes (The painting guy? XD) are known as being tricksters in Japanese Mythology. The foxes in Japanese mythology have the power to make leafs become valuable items to trick humans. Thus why you get leafs as furniture in the game. You aren't getting actual furniture you're just being tricked into thinking it's something nice.
And with that in mind, it's actually kinda hilarious to think of that when you notice that the title of the game is Animal Crossing: New Leaf. That's actually a nice reference you made there

And with that in mind, it's actually kinda hilarious to think of that when you notice that the title of the game is Animal Crossing: New Leaf. That's actually a nice reference you made there
It also makes sense in that the Leaf hits the ground and then is transformed into the furniture item. And also I think thats why they called it New Leaf because Leaves were such an integral thing in the game.

It also makes sense in that the Leaf hits the ground and then is transformed into the furniture item. And also I think thats why they called it New Leaf because Leaves were such an integral thing in the game.
Yeah definitely, although based on the logic you gave in that earlier post, one could say that they named it New Leaf because of the reasons shown in that conspiracy theory expansion you posted

Thats slightly wrong. First of all Tanukis don't turn leaves into items. They use leaves to change their own appearance, transforming into humans, animals or objects.
Kitsunes (foxes) on the other hand can also turn into humans, animals or objects, but also known for turning leaves into money.

Thats slightly wrong. First of all Tanukis don't turn leaves into items. They use leaves to change their own appearance, transforming into humans, animals or objects.
Kitsunes (foxes) on the other hand can also turn into humans, animals or objects, but also known for turning leaves into money.
Money or other objects of value. I also said "The foxes in Japanese mythology have the power to make leafs become valuable items to trick humans. " I only said Tanookis were tricksters. But thats very interesting I didn't know Tanookis used leaves to change their own appearance. Is that why Mario using the Tanooki leaf can turn into stone?

Money or other objects of value. I also said "The foxes in Japanese mythology have the power to make leafs become valuable items to trick humans. " I only said Tanookis were tricksters. But thats very interesting I didn't know Tanookis used leaves to change their own appearance. Is that why Mario using the Tanooki leaf can turn into stone?
haha I love how we're now switching focus from an Animal Crossing Conspiracy Theory to a Mario conspiracy theory (not complaining about it though!). In any case, I like that connection you made there. Didn't know he had a Tanooki Leaf though

haha I love how we're now switching focus from an Animal Crossing Conspiracy Theory to a Mario conspiracy theory (not complaining about it though!). In any case, I like that connection you made there. Didn't know he had a Tanooki Leaf though
That's how he turns into a Tanooki. And I'm not trying to make a Mario conspiracy theory, simply noting that it could be a reference to Japanese mythology.

That's how he turns into a Tanooki. And I'm not trying to make a Mario conspiracy theory, simply noting that it could be a reference to Japanese mythology.
oh ok. Well yeah, the fact that it's *called* a Tanooki Leaf in itself establishes a connection to Japanese mythology (let alone the fact that Mario was made by Nintendo, a company in Japan....)

If you google "animal crossing new leaf theory" you will soon find a page full of theories, everything from the gyoids run the game and the ones you have in your house are security cameras, to Tom Nook secretly lives in your house when you don't play for a while.

Well, I don't agree with the Child Abduction theory. I've only started playing the game, and found out why this theory has no support, only a few shady coincidences. The character's mother sends your avatar messages rather often, so I don't understand if he/she was abducted why their mother would sent them "Goodluck on the town, I'd know you will do great" emails, only if. I'm not sure if it this is legit or not, but it's pretty amazing to see what more people can come up with. The most evidence this theory have is all the shadiness in how you suddenly wake up in a train (NL) and you coincidental meet this animal creature, theories always make me look at the game in a different angle, which I will be doing now, any signs I see (either positive to the theory or not), I'll let you know.

Reactions: Kryce
@Reece My thoughts exactly after playing two games of the serie I couldn't agree with the game theory basing on mere coincidences that are weak to base a theory on, and also when you take a long break of the game some charcters actually say that "it was a while the last time you come here" .
but then again a theory evolve so it could prove me wrong !

Reactions: Reece
I think this theory is silly. I think Animal Crossing may be more along the lines of a child imagining what it's like to be an adult, but nothing like the theory goes.

Lol the Super Bowl Blackout... Seriously? Is it supposed to be like an alien that came down to the Super Bowl and it shut down all of the lights because of it's radiation or something? Conspiracy theories are a little crazy...

The New England Patriots have been found guilty for deflating footballs, so it's not impossible.

Back