Did your Nintendo DS hinge break?

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
My DS hinge broke so baaddd... it happened when I charged it. Then my cousin just "happen" to bump and it falls so bad my hing broke. :(:(:(
NDS.jpg
She tried to take it for repair but got no result :cry:
Fortunately the DS still playable till now :p

I've had my 3DS for 2 and a half years now, and I've dropped it like 4 times if I can remember. The hinge seems really loose and wobbly, so I try to be careful now. Also, my L button's insensitive- it's not broken but I need to press it hard.

I've had my 3DS for 2 and a half years now, and I've dropped it like 4 times if I can remember. The hinge seems really loose and wobbly, so I try to be careful now. Also, my L button's insensitive- it's not broken but I need to press it hard.
Yeah my 3ds acts like that too. But I've upgraded to an XL and the XL hinge is squeaky. Like actually squeaks at times when I adjust it. The XL is really thin and it feels like the top screen is just gonna fall off any moment haha

My hinge broke. :(

The exact same thing happened to my DS lite. I did't know it at first, but then it had trouble closing. It was like that for a while and worked fine. Then one day after school I tried to turn it on, and it the light turned on, but neither of the screen would turn on. they was even sound but no screen.

Actually yeah I had two, my black DS Lite broke in such a way that the top screen actually fell off:panda:. The second one is my Zelda DS its hung in there.

I think the 3DS is a lot stronger.

Well I never really had a case of any of my nintendo DS consoles hinge breaking :p I'm not even sure how that really happens . Even my Nintendo DS Lite that I had for like more than 5 years , never had any case like this , though I never really play it often anymore , but the 3ds' is surely sturdier :p

Even though my current DS is the third one I got,the previous two didn't break from hinge-breaking,but more for stupid reasons.My first one was the most frustating of them all,by falling in a water hazard when my DS 'Phat' slipped off my hands.The other broke thanks to a childhood problem I had at the time,while the third is still working fine.The 3DS's hinge is more resistant than my DS Lite's,but that's probaly more for the material's resistance and weigh.The 3DS's top screen though is less resistant than the DS Lite's,since it's said to be a crystal screen.

The main reason 3ds' has little gaps on the sides of the hinge is to relieve stress on the hinges. The main reason so many hinges broke is from the tension caused by the plastic constantly rubbing against itself.

This happened to my originally Nintendo DS and my DS Lite. It started with a small crack as seen in the screenshot below. After a while, you couldn't tell the difference between a rainbow and the contents of the screen. I guess you know what happened next, ;)

View attachment 56

I can't see this happening with the 3DS design. I think Nintendo learned from its mistakes, finally! But if that's not enough, take a look at the Nintendo 2DS, :eek:

Anyway, did this ever happen to your DS or DS Lite?
Well, when I was 8 I had a DS lite, and I dropped it in my house. And I'm not talking about your average walking around and dropping it on your carpet dropping. Im talking about sitting next to your 11 foot high banister and then getting kicked in the arm by your brother and dropping it 11 feet. Lol surprisingly the 1 hinge broke and the wires were sticking out a little bit. The screen was fine, the other hinge was in tact, and most importantly, IT STILL WORKED! Lol although I did have warranty and got a new one. But still, I could not live with a DS lite when its wires are sticking out of one hinge and the top clam shell is tilted. Lol anyways thats my story :rotfl:

That weakist point on the DS it breaks if its drop at the right angle plus the trigger buttons break easy

This actually happened to my DS Lite as well in my middle school days. I kept tossing it around carelessly and eventually the left hinge cracked. And with time, the hinge broke off so I could either lift the top screen off or put it back in place. But the damage got even worse over time. Top screen was messed up and eventually, the whole system stopped working.

Well it never happened with my ninendo 3ds xl but it might happen in future but i really don't think so it is going to happen after all i take goood care of my nintedo console.

The hinge issuebreak issue iskinda common in ds but i never heard that 3ds hinge or something like that happened.

My little brother had a DS Lite, and because he was pretty young, he didn't look after it properly and it eventually broke. Can't really play properly, with a floppy hinge. I think he used to pull back the screen many times. I felt sorry for that broken DS Lite, it went through so much. ;_;

well ive had it happen to the older model of ds systems with my nieces and nephews and as far as the 3ds goes my neice has one that the hinge broke but her baby brother was the one that broke it and I had a 2ds but while out on business for the job I was working the hotel maid did something to it and shattered both the top and bottom digitizer . I don't know how the heck she did it but totally destroyed it plus not to mention it was a pain in the butt replacing the screen but I finally did it lol. but back to what your asking it just depends on how much you, and how rough you are with the system

I never broke the hinge on my DS Lite, it was my sister and cousin who broke it... They were fighting over it and... yeah. -_-
The top half had basically half-fallen off, it was somehow hanging off one hinge, and when I made a make-shift solution to snap it somewhat back together, the top screen was heavily tinted pink and games were pretty much unplayable on such a screen. ;-;

At least I got a DSi soon afterwards. \o/ (this happened many years ago btw) It's hinge never broke but at some point the R and L triggers became unresponsive.

With my 2ds, my baby cousin threw it on the floor when I wasn't looking and the upper back plate has half come out of place. ;~; one of the holders that hold the plate in place has come out whilst the other is still in, making it weirdly bent and was at first somewhat uncomfortable, but I got used to it and it doesn't feel so uncomfortable now I guess. I still need to fix it, which isn't difficult at all; I just need the right screwdriver. ._.

Dang I'm sorry to hear that and yea I can understand getting used to it on my xbox controller the rubber cap on the left joystick came off and I have to get it replaced and as far as the screw driver to get the screws and the back plate off if you go to Walmart they have a Stanley screwdriver set for about 6 dollars I think and they are smaller screwdrivers and the one you will need is the size #0 Philips head, htat and a little patience with the screws and your good to go.

My old ds I had broke its hinge when I was 9. I was at my grandma's house, just running around her house with my 2 cousins, and then I tripped and my ds just snapped completely in half. I got really bummed out about it, but then I moved onto Xbox for a while. Kind of a weird story now that I think about it. :p

Reactions: mchristiansen
Yes.
I have 2 DS Lites, and both have a broken right hinge (where the LEDs go)

They seem to be really vulnerable (m friend has a similar problem)

My DS lite hinge was fine and I had it for years. The end of my poor DS came when the battery decided it wanted to bust and get battery acid all on the inside of the DS and make it totally inoperational. I tried everything, but I just couldn't bring my baby back from the dead :( And then I got another one used and it wouldn't even read the gameboy advanced games! That one got chunked really quick. And it doesn't help that I lost my Gameboy SP so I have no ways of playing my older games. Sigh.

Well at least I have my 3DS XL now and so far it hasn't given my any problems.

Reactions: mchristiansen
Back