Did your Nintendo DS hinge break?

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Both my DS and DS lite hinges broke. I wish it didn't affect the top screen as much as it does when this occurs. At least the 3DS hinges are stronger.

I don't know what happened to it! I had a DS lite, and one day im just playing on my ds, doing my nerd thing, and the next my hinge is so broke that it can no longer be at a 90 degree angle (L shape) but it has to be either closed or a 180 degree angle. Then, about a month after that, my DS got dropped like a bass and im sobbing cause the screen snapped half off. I got a new one 6 months later and all was good... until the hinge broke again. My brother had a similar story, his hinge broke with his first and for some odd reason his second one lost WiFi and then it couldnt read DS games. To this day, we call it our "special" GBA micro XD. Those Ds lites are so fragile, i have never had a problem like this ever again.

I've never broken my DS hinges, but I've actually experienced my friend's hinges breaking while we were playing together!
We had no idea how it happened or what to make of it!
It really sucked because I was winning
Don't worry, he eventually got a new one!

As it says in the first post, "it all started with a small crack"...
Luckily, it was just a small crack so whatever...
Then, it begin spreading... It was slowly gaining territory...
The crack completed a full circle around the hinge... A small piece of the hinge falls!
The Nintendo DS never knew what was to hold itself up anymore... Only with help...
3 months pass... The crack seems to be active again! It's spreading horizontally this time...
Ignored it...
And then...
BAM!!

Resuming: that small crack resulted in the screens to split! :thumbsup:

Well my original DS hinge broke by just dropping it on the hardwood floor (same with my glasses) man that thing is wimpy but it can still play games fine. My DS Lite is just fine though. I don't think my 3DS will ever get this problem.

I can't tap in the bottom left corner of my old DS lite. At all. I got stuck in a few games because of this until I got a 3ds. Though in games that do not require a touch screen it works perfectly fine. I never fixed the screen, I dont use my old DS anyway except to trade with myself in Pokemon (no friends :p jk) and compared to the other things people have said in the thread its not that bad.

Wow I rambled there... Now to answer the question...
No

My DS lites hinge broke. I do not have a original DS so my hinges did not break :p. I think that it depends on how you use it as to whether it would break or not but I think that the 3DS's hinges are much stronger.

My DS lite's hinge broke somehow, I can't even remember how that happened but apparently it must've fallen on the floor? I was never really even that rough with it and somehow on the side of the hinge, you could pretty much see the wires (it was cracked so it couldn't click into place) and the charging port also eventually broke, making it a very uncomfortable a few minutes moving the charging cable (the charger also broke, funnily enough) into place so the DS lite would actually go ahead and charge! :p

Yikes. Mine hinge never broke. I once broke my screen and battery of my DS lite, but someone sat on it. A pretty fat someone. My 3DS stylus broke recently, after years of intense use the part that holds it in the 3DS snapped. It's still functional though. :p

My DS' hinge broke, yes. Two times actually. My Nintendo DS broke shortly before the release of the Nintendo DS Lite. I then bought the Lite only for the hinge to break again! So I was of course extra careful with the DSi. Which is probably my favorite other than the 3ds consoles.

I hated that. One time my top screen broke but my bottom screen stilled worked. It sucked!

Don’t even get me started on this topic. I’m not kidding, this is an annoying thing to talk about. Why? Because this never happened to my DS Life, but my 3DS! ;~;

I can’t tell you how upset I was when my entire top screen was just hanging by a thread of wires. Probably the worst feeling I’ve ever had, especially since it was a limited edition Smash Blue model. (Except for when I dropped my other 3DS in the toilet. Don’t ask. :eyes2:)

No, My dsi hinge isn't broken but the right shoulder button is kind of broken. You have to push it down a lot further then it should. I'm thinking of getting a regular ds or a ds lite so I could play my gameboy advance games on it.

It happened to me with my first Nintendo DS. I left it charging on a table in a room nobody really spends time in. I thought it would be safe there, but unfortunately I was wrong. My little sister came in, didn’t see the wire, and sent it flying. ;^; One side of it is completely off its hinge, and it’s entirely dependent on the other side to hold it up. Surprisingly, it was super resilient and a bit of electrical tape was able to hold it together until I got a DS Lite. No idea if it still works, though.

This happened to my originally Nintendo DS and my DS Lite. It started with a small crack as seen in the screenshot below. After a while, you couldn't tell the difference between a rainbow and the contents of the screen. I guess you know what happened next, ;)

View attachment 56

I can't see this happening with the 3DS design. I think Nintendo learned from its mistakes, finally! But if that's not enough, take a look at the Nintendo 2DS, :eek:

Anyway, did this ever happen to your DS or DS Lite?
No. My DS is a sturdy boi. At least until I gave it to my 10 year old cousin. He broke the hinges :(

I had several DS versions but never broke the hinges on them. One was previously owned by my sister though and had calibration issues that were impossible to fix without replacing the screen. So I just learned to tap the screen slightly off to compensate.

Back