Do you prefer to buy full games retail/physical or digital?

• Thread starter 18
  • Start date

Do you prefer digital or retail full releases?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Retail because it's a lot easier to manipulate.

For example, I can just lend my games to friends if they want to try them before buying them and if there is no demo for those games.

Or say that my 3DS breaks. I almost don't care since I also have a New 3DS and I don't have to re-download games since I have ready-to-use cartridges.

And let's imagine that one day I have to format my 3DS for a reason or another. Well if I bought all digital, I'd lose my digital copy of Fantasy Life, my save of Fantasy Life, my digital copy of MH4U and my save from MH4U. But if I bought all retail, I'd only lose my Fantasy Life save (that goes on the SD card for some reason and that is impossible to copy-paste for some reason (and I can tell you, I tried)).

Or imagine a family of 6 children with one 3DS who all want to play MH4U. You can just buy 2 retail copies of it and have 6 saves. But I am not sure you can have 2 non-physical copies.

Yeah, the last example is a complete stupid example. But still, it shows that cartridges are easier to manipulate.

Well I used to prefer a physical copy because they had an instruction booklet but I haven't came across a 3ds game with one. However powersaves you need a cartridge so...

I prefer retail.

Retail all the way! :)

The reason is mainly because when I have games on retail,I have a satisfactory and complete feeling that I actually own the game,while on digital,I don't have that since I have to turn on the console to see that they're there(Pikmin 3 and DKC Tropical Freeze are digital on my Wii U because I got them from Club Nintendo for free from promotions),and to be honest,I prefer having my games on boxes that way,with the front and back cover,manual and the game disc/cartridge itself,although I have to say that with digital,you don't have to switch between games by swapping discs on the console's slot to play them,but that's the fun of old-school gaming,isn't it? :p

I like physical copies of games for the Big, Day 1 releases and for console games. I like going to the store, picking up my copy, and doing the ritual of putting the cart in the system for the first time and watching it's icon pop into place.
For games that are more "Maybe when I have some extra money", I usually go digital. These games are the ones I play a few levels of when I'm bored, so being able to switch around helps for this. When it comes to the bigger releases, I'm usually only playing that game for a few days, so I don't feel the need to have to switch game constantly.
File size also comes into consideration. I like my larger game physical, because I have a small SD card.

Retail, I love the rush you get when driving to gamestop and looking at all the games when you finally see the game that's perfect! Then looking at your game collection is fun too and also because of SD card space and your friends can borrow your games and play them on their 3ds

Retail all the way! :)

The reason is mainly because when I have games on retail,I have a satisfactory and complete feeling that I actually own the game,while on digital,I don't have that since I have to turn on the console to see that they're there(Pikmin 3 and DKC Tropical Freeze are digital on my Wii U because I got them from Club Nintendo for free from promotions),and to be honest,I prefer having my games on boxes that way,with the front and back cover,manual and the game disc/cartridge itself,although I have to say that with digital,you don't have to switch between games by swapping discs on the console's slot to play them,but that's the fun of old-school gaming,isn't it? :p
Same here!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: T-Player Guy
Normally buying retail is better because you get some extra stuff sometimes like CN codes, etc. and it is more reliable in case something happens :nailbiting: Digitial also has its pluses because it is really easier, jsut add money to your account, click a button and download it! But you might lose your SD card data or lose your game card in rl I have lost Pokemon White when someone smashed it so the data is corrupted and I can't do anything or play it ;-;

I prefer to buy games digital. The reason because of this is because i do not want to use up memory downloading games. Also if I use up all the memory, I have to get a new sd card. Also I would not feel like transfering memory to another sd card. It takes a lot of time away from me.

I honestly like the physical copy unless I have to download. my main give twords that resolution is because of the price I am paying is the same as the physical. I also like physical because if my 3ds breaks I don't wanna lose all my games in my system. I believe that they should lower the price if I would buy a digital I don't have anything in the palm in my hand. either way theirs pros and cons tword both options what is your.

Retail for me. I'm not a huge fan of digital games; I'm more likely to forget I have them than if I have a physical copy of the game. I'll probably forget about those too, but if I see a physical game mixed in with my other games, I could see it and be like "oh hey, I wanna play that" instead of never looking at it again as a digital copy.

I have some digital stuff, but it's mainly just free stuff from the eShop and demos. xD I don't say no to free.

digital mainly to ensure that i never loose it and i can play it anytime, anywhere without the need to worry about loosing my videogames.

but honestly everything i have from the eshop is free because i have no money for payed games/apps/software.

I'd rather buy the game/games on retail because if you buy digital games and your 3DS runs out of memory, you can't play it anymore. So, if you buy games on retail, you get to keep your games and not lose them.

I definitely prefer physical copies. Not only can you put it up as part of a collection on a shelf, you can also share or trade games with friends. [Theres also the fact that if your device gets stolen, the digital games will be lost along with the device.]

[Theres also the fact that if your device gets stolen, the digital games will be lost along with the device.]
Not necessarily, you'll still have them registered on your Nintendo account. But you'll have to download them again, and you also probably won't be able to download them when Nintendo shuts down the 3DS servers.

I like the Physical Copies! It is because:-

1. It doesn't cover up space on SD card and, you don't have to download them again when the SD card corrupts or even more, when it just brakes! :p
2. It adds to a nice collection to the gamers like myself. Come on, you don't have to open up your 3ds again and again when someone just wants to have a look at the games which you own! And, lol, you can just show off them to your friends too! ;)
3. You also get a manual and, its fragrance is really gr8! ^.^
4. You can sell off the games too (which I don't) xP.

That's just it, I think! :)

I like physical, but I want to say something about digital games.

If your 3DS breaks, what if you log back in to your NNID? Can't you just re-purchase your game?

If your 3DS breaks, what if you log back in to your NNID? Can't you just re-purchase your game?

The NNID is tied to just one 3DS at a time so you can't login on the other one until Nintendo unties your NNID from the broken 3DS - you'd need to provide them proof for it, I suppose.

Otherwise it'd be too easy for people to download multiple copies on different consoles and give them to all their little friends.

Reactions: KJ
Ok now obviously they're a lot of different opinions but me myself I prefer retail copys just because I can have a physical case for it and booklit and if my system breaks then I can at least keep or sell the game. But if anyone is curious about what one to get it's totally up to them in there opinion like if they get it retailed then they get a physical copy with a booklit and they can sell it if there system breaks or keep it and buy another system but if you get it digital then they have to play it on that system it will take up memory and if the system breaks then you lost the game for good.

It depends on the price, so I have both retail and digital games. I usually buy my games online, not at retail stores. Online, right now, one of the games I plan on buying (layton vs Phoenix Wright) is priced at $40, and on the eshop, at the regular price 30. I have a 16 GB sd, so I dont think I can use that up that quickly :)

It depends on the price, so I have both retail and digital games. I usually buy my games online, not at retail stores. Online, right now, one of the games I plan on buying (layton vs Phoenix Wright) is priced at $40, and on the eshop, at the regular price 30. I have a 16 GB sd, so I dont think I can use that up that quickly :)
Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright, really? Get it, just get it, I am currently playing the same game, and, IT IS AWESOME!!
Its just a get it, as Professor Layton you solves puzzles and as Phoenix Wright, you fight in the court.
Every chapter just leaves you with suspense, and, it is like "What will happen next?" You can't just get away from it once you start playing it.
It is the best game that I have ever played on the 3ds (at least for me).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back