Do you prefer to buy full games retail/physical or digital?

• Thread starter 18
  • Start date

Do you prefer digital or retail full releases?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
i would rather get a physical copy of a game if possible. i don't like it that digital copies of games take up like 3000-10,000+ blocks. i just don't have the space for that. especially if i did that with smash brod and got every update. i would never get the space for that. i understand though that some people like digital vs physical copies though because you don't have to worry about the game getting physically damaged and what not, which is the nice thing about digital. all and all though i prefer to get the game at retail if possible.

I usually buy physical but i like digital the best because it's more easy for the go and you do have to go drive to a store to buy it because it's all ready to buy in your hands. The only thing I don't like about the eshop is the high prices on games especially ones the been out for years.

I used to going into Physical ones, but I have some problems with it, when I find out that I cannot buy some games that I want to because it's not available (especially in the city where I'm living in, I'm not sure when the store will restock games unlike in bigger cities), that I started to move out into Digital.

Later I find out that I enjoyed more on Digital because I can manage many games inside of my 3DS so that I don't have to bring every cartridges when I'm going outside, even though sometimes I miss having cartridges and game covers as the proof that I'm having one.

Digital, for these reasons:
  • Mainly, because I live in south america, and since Nintendo doesn't care about us, the physical copies that get here are really overpriced. So I just buy Eshop cards online to buy from the store.
  • I can switch between several games without having to swap the cartridge.
  • Because of the last point, I can make the home screen of the 3DS pretty cool due to it being filled with good games.
  • I tend to lose stuff easily.
I agree that digital doesn't have the same magic as a physical copy that you can touch and watch and stuff but the convenience and practicality of the digital media is just enough reason in this case.

I prefer to physically own the games. This way if I don't like the game it is generally easier to return it if I bought it in physical format, or it's easier to just sell the game to somebody else if I don't like it or if I've finished playing it. Plus I don't mind swapping out cartridges and I love owning the boxes/the manuals, when games came with the little booklet guys not the folded paper one. I think the only game I would've preferred having digital is Animal Crossing New Leaf and that is solely because it's one of those games you are meant to play daily but only for a shorter period of time.

I was physical for a long time, and still get physical copies for games that I know I'll hate not having powersaves for (pokémon.....bravely default... games that are grind-heavy for days on ends for something that's important to have but not the most rewarding after a while), but for the most part I prefer digital copies. I game frequently on-the-go & bus so the idea of having to switch game cards with people walking through the isles & going over bumps is really intimidating, since if something happens and I drop my card I'm.. not going to be able to find it on the bus floor, most likely. The main thing that made me start going digital was that--game safety--and also the fact that, as an online PC gamer, most all of my games were digital anyway.
I really like that with digital games, once I make a purchase, it's receipt it saved & warranted forever; so even if I lost everything I could still buy a new system and get my games back.

Last edited:
I prefer retail games because the game cases make me feel like I have a collection. I think digital downloads are okay for small games. Large games take too long to download where as you could just buy the game chip and start right away ;-;

Digital versions of full games take up way too much space, even with a 32 giggity. I like box art covers too much to go with digital anyway. Not to mention if something in your SD or USB gets corrupt, all of those digital games are gone if not backed up.

I really prefer physical copies of games rather than digital. I have friends and siblings that I play and trade games with when I get bored with one. You can't do that with digital copies. Plus, like a lot of people said as well, I like the box art for a lot fo the games and like to keep them on shelves so that I feel like I actually have something. Besides, if my DS breaks or my SD card goes out, then I'll lose the game, which is not something I want to do.

I think the only larger game that I have as a digital download is New Super Mario Brothers 2 because I got it for free through Club Nintendo when it was still around. Once the new rewards program for Nintendo starts up and I start racking up coins or whatever they will be doing as reward points then I might consider getting more digitals through them, but other than that I will gladly stick to my physical copies. :pompus:

I much prefer digital games because I can organize them into folders, Play them without switching gamecards... and even f my 3ds or sd breaks, I have a backup saved to my computer of the games so when they are repaired, I can play them again.

I prefer retail as I've also enjoyed physical copies as I can put them on a shelf and showcase them to my guests and friends.

Being a collector as I am, I like owning retail versions of the games. Also physical copies take up waaaay too much memory on the Wii U!

Due to my budgeted data plans, my preference of video game ownership is physically. Also, physical ownership really helps
if I'm visiting a friend's house to show him/her the game.

I prefer both. It would be hard for me to stick with just one. Sometimes I get the game physical because I want to own the physical game card and I like the box art of the case. Digital to save space in my messy room, and sometimes I don't have go out to buy it or wait for it to ship here.

the reason I like retail better is because if you can use it on different consoles and you can let a friend borrow it so they can experience the fun too. And the plus side is if you're going to a friends house and you forget your console but you remember the game you can use their console if their not using it. You don't have to transfer your data to a different console if you get one, you can just take out the game and put it in the new console if you want unlike the digital one you have to preform a data transfer to your new console and have to wait because you don't want to do that. Also if you were to break your console and you bought the digital copy you would not be able to use it anymore.

Honestly? I prefer A physical copy, But recently I am less apposed to Digital copy games as your NNID lets you Re-Download your games... But there is always the risk of corruption issues... But you know what I say? If you buy games on your phone... You should buy games on your 3DS <Idk Just what I think... Cheers!

Okay @Hayleia & @epiceh123, if you both can't discuss politely, then please do not post. Lets just try to get along. >.<

I have cleaned up the thread a bit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hayleia
Personally I prefer both the reason being is that if (for example) I have a hard copy of Alpha Sapphire and a Digital copy of Omega Ruby then I can have both of them in my console at the same time. Plus not to mention I have a 64gb card in my 3ds so I have tons of space lol. Plus if its a game I really never plan on giving up than I get the digital copy.

Retail, of course. With digital games I can't re-sell them if I don't like the game anymore and that's a main problem for me. I also like those covers on cases and for bringing them with me while traveling I can always buy a case to put my 3ds and games in.

Digital! My siblings lose my physical cartridges a lot and I spend a lot of time in the car so it's much more convenient for me! :cat:

I do miss seeing the boxart though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back